Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby Robby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, nothing was changed Adium-side, so Yahoo must have changed something.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:00 pm

You would know better than I... is there anything in the login protocol where libpurple identifies itself? In other words, can Yahoo selectively deny access from other clients, or do the connections all look the same to them? If there was a change in the protocol, how have you guys received that information in the past?

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Same here...seems to be down again this morning...the logical assumption is that the issue is on Yahoo's end....something they are tinkering with.

johnkzin
Harmless

Postby johnkzin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm having the issue today as well. Just sits there in "(Connecting)" status, CPU hits 155%. Restarting Adium didn't help.

No problems like/with this before today. I can still connect to yahoo messenger via Yahoo's mac client, and via their web client. Just not via Adium.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:52 pm

bluejay wrote:[…]CPU usage is up to 170%.

johnkzin wrote:[…]CPU hits 155%.[…]

Robby wrote:
mandatorylogin wrote:[…]Leaving Adium on for a couple of hours, trying to connect, only resulted in fan noise.[…]

The beta mentioned earlier in this thread should fix the high CPU usage issue.[…]

johnkzin
Harmless

Postby johnkzin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:18 pm

fixing the CPU issue is great, but not really the core issue at hand.

"does the Beta fix the connection problem" is the issue had hand :-} (the answer seems to be yes, if you're on Mavericks ... but my point was, the CPU thing is really a symptom, the problem is the lack of connection, IMO ... and the title of the thread would seem to reinforce that)

and, when will the beta stop being a beta, and start being a current release (I don't do beta releases, sorry).

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 pm

johnkzin wrote:fixing the CPU issue is great, but not really the core issue at hand.

"does the Beta fix the connection problem" is the issue had hand :-}

Right, but going on about the CPU issue doesn't help anybody either. Instead, it suggests it's a persistent problem.

johnkzin wrote:and, when will the beta stop being a beta, and start being a current release (I don't do beta releases, sorry).

The point of betas is making sure no regressions creep in. This beta was released about ten days ago, nothing serious has been reported yet so it shouldn't take too long.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Robby wrote:I'm curious: how many of you have contacted Yahoo about this issue?

Robby, is there a way to directly contact Yahoo?

The last time I tried to contact Yahoo about a technical issue (also dealing with their Messenger service) I found there was no possible way to actually do it. Their support system was all data-driven. You had to select from a list of canned "issues" for which you were then linked to an FAQ-type answer. There was literally no way to write-out a question and submit it. If my issue didn't appear in their FAQ, it was a non-issue.

I just took a quick run through their Help section and it looks to still be the same.

Nite PHX
Harmless

Postby Nite PHX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Also not able to log into Yahoo today using Adium

3 macs all running 10.8.5 and running Adium 1.5.9. Two Macs in Ohio on TWC, one Mac in Arizona on Cox.

We are all getting Error: Error reading from login.yahoo.com: Undefined error: 0

Left the offices last night and all was fine. This morning none of us could connect to Yahoo.

We can all connect to Yahoo IM using the Yahoo Mac client.

Installed Adium 1.5.10b1 (3/19/14) on my Mac only with same results, not able to connect to yahoo.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:58 am

Until today it had begun managing to eventually connect, usually ten to thirty minutes after I launched Adium. Today it never has managed to connect.

I'm having the same issues or suspicions about it being a Yahoo issue. If it is, how can we contact them and what do we ask? If it isn't a Yahoo issue same thing, who do we contact and what should be asked? As I mentioned before, I need Adium since apparently it is the only way for me to chat and adjust the visual settings needed for my visual problems. I have no idea why there are not more options than Adium to me or those like me but there aren't so this is seriously getting annoying as the month nears an end.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 am

Robby wrote:
johnkzin wrote:fixing the CPU issue is great, but not really the core issue at hand.

"does the Beta fix the connection problem" is the issue had hand :-}

Right, but going on about the CPU issue doesn't help anybody either. Instead, it suggests it's a persistent problem.

johnkzin wrote:and, when will the beta stop being a beta, and start being a current release (I don't do beta releases, sorry).

The point of betas is making sure no regressions creep in. This beta was released about ten days ago, nothing serious has been reported yet so it shouldn't take too long.

Fixing the cpu problem doesn't really solve a problem, considering that the entire product fundamentally doesn't work. Having Adium try to connect all day without having it totally consume my CPU isn't any more useful than not using it at all, which is the current state of affairs.

While it's clear that the problem is that "Yahoo changed something", doesn't supporting a product including keeping on top of such things? If you know what it is and it's entirely Yahoo's problem and there is no workaround that's one thing; but in a week "someone" should at least be able to verbalize what the problem it.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:13 pm

BSDguru wrote:Fixing the cpu problem doesn't really solve a problem, considering that the entire product fundamentally doesn't work. Having Adium try to connect all day without having it totally consume my CPU isn't any more useful than not using it at all, which is the current state of affairs.

Yahoo is just one of many services supported by Adium and many users have a lot of different services running in Adium. To say the whole app is broken just because Yahoo connectivity isn't working is a bit rich.

BSDguru wrote:While it's clear that the problem is that "Yahoo changed something", doesn't supporting a product including keeping on top of such things?

Sure it does.

BSDguru wrote:If you know what it is and it's entirely Yahoo's problem and there is no workaround that's one thing; but in a week "someone" should at least be able to verbalize what the problem it.

"A week" is an entirely arbitrary timescale. Adium is a non-commercial project, weeks can go by with certain developers being away and inactive. Same goes for Pidgin.

And in this particular case, Adium has to rely on one or two Pidgin developers to step up and investigate. From what we've gathered libpurple needs to adapt to whatever Yahoo has changed and it is mostly Pidgin developers who maintain it. And of the Pidgin developers there are only one or two developers who know about the Yahoo code.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:31 pm

At this point, I'd actually pay good money to have a working Adium yahoo chat. It's a medical need situation and is stressing me out and causing further eye strain over now weeks of not having reliable access. I mean it though, I would buy the Adium program if it was working and didn't lose support for one of my accounts like this.

I realize it's non-commercial so complaining really might not be fair, but it's a nuisance at this point, whether it's Adium, Pidgin, or Yahoo that is the problem. It's not my computer that's the problem. All I know is if it keeps up another three weeks or so, I'll just close my yahoo account and let every contact know I have had to due to support issues. I hate to say it but I've already begun searching out any possible alternative to Adium, even pay programs.

djharris
Harmless

Postby djharris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 pm

This is a set of 2 images on imgur showing what happens on Pidgin 2.10.9 on Knoppix.

http://imgur.com/SxmQpF7,IGjO2MR#1

Click "Accept" and you're in business.

Click on the link "First Image" on imgur to see the SHA1 hash and expiry dates and name of the cert if you want to see it.

Maybe there's a problem with Adium handling the server certificate, or maybe they swapped out the certificate under the table and Adium can't handle it?

ushasriram
Harmless

Postby ushasriram » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:34 am

Friends,

Download the Beta version of Adium >> https://beta.adium.im/

This resolved the Yahoo IM connect issue and CPU spikes. I am logged in now. Enjoy!!!!

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:08 pm

That's the same beta I installed two days ago, and it definitely did not solve the Yahoo connection problem.

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:58 pm

No, that beta does not solve the connection problem. It appears to be intermittent, as has been stated before.

Several days ago, I was getting on Yahoo with no problem via Adium, but as of Friday night or Saturday (can't remember specifically which), it stopped working for me again.

I am (and have always been able to) get on using the Yahoo app. (I actually never used Yahoo's app before this problem developed, have always used Yahoo Messenger via Adium until now.)
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Just want to thank Robby for all your responses regarding this problem.

Adium is a great app and I've always found the developers and others who work on it willing to answer questions and help out when they can. And I say that as a longtime user of Adium and a longtime member of this forum.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for the hint, djharris and thanks for the kind words, MacMom. I expect 1.5.10 to be released very soon, 1.5.11 will fix this issue, we're onto something.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I look forward to any fix or different version of Adium, as I tried the beta as well and was working fine until last week sometime. Now it actually won't connect at all, even if I leave it trying all day. Very frustrating stuff but am managing to connect elsewhere to those I need to stay in contact with.

Return to “Adium”