Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
jeannius
Muffin

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby jeannius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Unfortunately, if you see the release notes, 1.5.10b1 only fixes the problem on the newest OS versions...a lot of people, like me, are still using snow leopard in order to be able to use older software like Adobe CS2 etc because it's too costly to upgrade. 1.5.10b1 does not fix the problem under snow leopard

schluntz
Harmless

Postby schluntz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:59 pm

jeannius wrote:for those not being able to connect with the actual yahoo messenger program, try replacing your username with your entire yahoo address. Only way I could get it to connect for me.

That didn't resolve it for me. The 1.5.10b1 beta did though :) Thanks developers!

-Sean

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

jeannius wrote:...1.5.10b1 does not fix the problem under snow leopard

Same here.
Though, to be fair, I don't believe 1.5.10b1 was intended to fix the Yahoo connection problem, was it? I think it was primarily intended to address a high CPU load problem.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:59 pm

jeannius wrote:Unfortunately, if you see the release notes, 1.5.10b1 only fixes the problem on the newest OS versions...a lot of people, like me, are still using snow leopard in order to be able to use older software like Adobe CS2 etc because it's too costly to upgrade. 1.5.10b1 does not fix the problem under snow leopard

1.5.10b1 doesn't fix the problem on Mountain Lion either. At least not for me.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

jeannius wrote:Unfortunately, if you see the release notes, 1.5.10b1 only fixes the problem on the newest OS versions...a lot of people, like me, are still using snow leopard in order to be able to use older software like Adobe CS2 etc because it's too costly to upgrade. 1.5.10b1 does not fix the problem under snow leopard

Does CS2 not work in Mavericks? I'm using CS2 in Mountain Lion without any issues.

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 pm

What's annoying is that Yahoo must have made changes on their end without even updating their own user software...at least for Snow Leopard...as there are problems with login there too....though there is a work around there at least.

dmstarr
Harmless

Postby dmstarr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Robby wrote:I'm curious: how many of you have contacted Yahoo about this issue?

Just weighing in since Robby asked...

I went through the painful process of working with Yahoo support on this ...I talked with a rep on the phone, who had little to offer but routed my request to another team. I received this response that basically indicates to me they are EOLing the Mac Messenger app:

* They are recommending Lion and later users use iChat; notice of course that means they dont have to support it, Apple does.
* They are recommending use of the ridiculous embedded web-mail chat client - a lovely dialog that either embeds in the nav frame or floats over the emails, Not friendly

They do not seem to have any interest in asking their engineering team what they changed to trigger the fail. My experience recently is that they have been messing with security for mail and it would not surprise me if they did something explicitly on their servers also in the name of security.

For reference, I am on 10.6.8. The iChat client on this flavor doesn't support Yahoo IMs. The Yahoo Messenger app fails as does the new Adium build that has worked for some other folks. I do get the reconnecting error now though, so that's more informative than hung connecting status. It would be wonderful if the gurus behind Adium could decipher what might make this work but Yahoo's lack of support does not make that easy. Without data on what has changed, how can the team fix the issue?

Since November 15, 2011, Yahoo Customer Care no longer offers agent support for Yahoo Messenger for Mac. If you continue to use this product and have questions or concerns about it, please use the self-service Yahoo Messenger Help pages. Most questions about configuring and using Messenger can be answered through the self-service Yahoo! Messenger help pages or the Peer to Peer community forums.

Alternatives:
If you have OS X Lion: As an alternative to using Yahoo Messenger on Mac, iChat, for Mac OS X Lion, has been integrated with Yahoo Messenger.
- If you are running OS X Lion and would like more information about using iChat, please refer to Apple's iChat support.
- Note: If you choose to use iChat on your Mac, and need support you will need to contact Apple.
Use Yahoo Messenger in Mail: If you do not have Mac OS X Lion, and do not want to download the desktop version to install on your Mac, you can use Yahoo Messenger in Mail, by visiting any link to Yahoo Mail and using the "Online Contacts" section to chat with your Contacts.
- From there sign in with your Yahoo ID and password and the chat function will load in the panel on the left side of the screen.
- For more information on how to get started using Yahoo Messenger in Mail, please visit the Mail IM and Instant Messaging help pages.

dmstarr
Harmless

Postby dmstarr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

One more note. On my Mac OS 10.6.8 Messenger client, v 3.0.2, I am able to connect sort of, but the behavior of the app is anomalous. I'm sharing in case that yields some useful clues.

My user connects, but the status options are skewed and only the offline or Away contacts appear in the list. My active status options such as Available appear with a yellow ball as if I'm unavailable. This, and the odd state of who appears in the list indicate to me that the client was able to authenticate, but I'm wondering whether the data being sent back from the server is in a malformed order.

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 pm

I am able to connect with yahoo Messenger 3.0.2 on OS 10.6.8, but only if I enter my entire yahoo email address rather than just the username. The available is yellow as well, but it's been that way for a while. I reacted to that as well, but am wondering if it just seemed unusual because adium uses green for available?

karyhead
Harmless

Postby karyhead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm unable to connect to yahoo via Adium like all of you. In my googling around, I've seen at least 3 issues:

1) Can't connect and high CPU use by Adium. This is fixed (the high CPU part) in 1.5.10. You can download the beta or a nightly build for now. https://beta.adium.im/ or http://nightly.adium.im/?repo_branch=adium-adium-1.5.10

2) A TLS packet with unexpected length was received. This looks like unresolved bug #16172. https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16172

3) (From debug window) yahoo: Login Failed, unable to retrieve login url: Error reading from login.yahoo.com: Undefined error: 0

I'm seeing the last one, and I imagine a number of you are as well. I haven't found an open bug yet and if I can't, I'll open one and report it back here. "Undefined error: 0" isn't very helpful unfortunately. The only clue I've seen so far is consistent out-of-order packets from login.yahoo.com. Generally, there are response 2 or 3 packets from the server and I'm consistently receiving the last one first. TCP will take care of out-of-order packets for the most part. However, in this case the last packet with the FIN flag set is received first. I'm wondering if this is causing Adium to think the connection has an error.

This problem started happening for me in the last few days, I'm not sure exactly when. If the network path changed between me and the server or some stateful security device is acting up, that could explain why it was working and now it's not.

If a few of you could run a packet capture and put them up on dropbox, I can see if the same out-of-order packet issue is present for you guys. This is ONLY for people with problem #3. Open your Preferences and look at your accounts, you'll see the error message just below the yahoo account. Or check Adium > Debug Window and search for yahoo to see the error message.

How to take a packet capture on Mac:

1) Close Adium
2) Open terminal.app
3) Determine if you are using your wired (en0) or wireless connection (en1)
4) For wired, type: sudo tcpdump -ni en0 -w yahoo.pcap host login.yahoo.com
or
4) For wireless, type: sudo tcpdump -ni en1 -w yahoo.pcap host login.yahoo.com
5) Start Adium
6) Wait 10 seconds and type Ctrl-c in the terminal to stop tcpdump
7) Upload the yahoo.pcap to dropbox or somewhere else and post the link here

The tcpdump will look like:
$ sudo tcpdump -ni en1 -w yahoo.pcap host login.yahoo.com
Password:
tcpdump: listening on en1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
^C27 packets captured
852 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

karyhead
Harmless

Postby karyhead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Thinking that #2 and #3 are actually the same thing and the out-of-order packets are a red herring. I'm installing Pidgin on my Mac to see if it gets the TLS error. Perhaps that specific error string is hidden from Adium.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

FWIW, I've been using the Yahoo client in OSX 10.6.8, as well, and haven't had any issues using simply my username. I haven't had to resort to changing to my Yahoo email address.

karyhead
Harmless

Postby karyhead » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 am

I can reproduce the TLS issue on Pidgin and can work around it by not using gnutls. But I don't think Adium uses gnutls so if that's right then it's likely not the same issue. Back to the drawing board.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:33 am

Since I got the beta, it has completely stopped ever connecting to Yahoo, and I'm not even sure how to go backwards from the beta now since at least before it would connect every day or so.

If Yahoo is behind the problem though, I can't understand why they changed something after years of working fine that completely has screwed a lot of Adium users over like this.

From what I read it seems like Yahoo is basically telling Mac users to pay for newer operating systems and the software required for it or they don't care whether they can use their Yahoo accounts properly. :mad:

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 am

Here’s some info for the technically inclined from https://trac.adium.im/ticket/16678:

Adium lead developer Thijs Alkemade wrote:The debug log here was quite helpful, and I think I've found the issue: CDSA gives us error -9816, which is errSSLClosedNoNotify, which means the server closed the connection without shutting down the TLS connection properly. If I remember correctly, some people from Pidgin reported that NSS didn't have any issue with connecting, but GnuTLS did. That could be explained by the fact that ​NSS doesn't report this error but ​GnuTLS seems to do so, as can be seen on this libpurple ticket.

Current status is:
Thijs Alkemade wrote:I'm quite tempted to not fix this
Because ignoring the error everywhere would introduce truncation attacks everywhere.

For the less tech-savvy readers:
essentially, this means Yahoo servers are misbehaving. Working around the issue could introduce security holes in Adium. Other apps which connect fine don’t seem to care.

:arrow: Bottom line: all the more reason to complain to Yahoo directly and have them sort it out.

dmstarr
Harmless

Postby dmstarr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Robby

Before you guys for sure nix the fix option, here is a little more info.

I tried connecting to Yahoo on my work system, VPN'd and using Messagelabs POD. It offers very primitive configuration -- basically nothing. I have port 443 set up for my chat clients to get through the network. Here is the useful bit:

When I connected, Yahoo posted the following chat message:
For your safety, we have temporarily disabled some features of Yahoo! Messenger. Please sign in to https://login.yahoo.com from a desktop computer, tablet, or smartphone and sign in again to Messenger to restore full access.

I did that from the work system and my connection works fine from MessageLabs POD client.

I tried it from my Mac, but no change.

Because this is "new" and at least indicates that Yahoo IS doing something explicitly, I dug around a little more. I found a thread on Trillian indicating that they think Yahoo has deliberately set up blocks; IMHO, badly. Please see attachment or visit URL? I am so hoping that the Adium experts can figure out what Yahoo has done since Yahoo refuses to be helpful.

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/17414-yahoo-disconnecting
Attachments
trillian.png

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 pm

The thread you linked is from January and February. I am not convinced the issue reported there is the same one we are facing.

dmstarr wrote:I am so hoping that the Adium experts can figure out what Yahoo has done since Yahoo refuses to be helpful.

As I tried to convey in my previous post, we are quite certain we know what is happening and that Yahoo needs to fix that.

netofrombrazil
Harmless

Postby netofrombrazil » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Robby,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

One question: as 1.5.10 beta fixes the CPU issue, do you have any ETA to promote to a GA version?

Thank you,

neto

robor
Harmless

Postby robor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 am

After logging in at https://login.yahoo.com/ I noticed that they have new account information page. In the section called "Sign-In And Security" there is a link called "Manage App and Website Connections".

This page seems to authorize external applications to connect to account. Unfortunately, there are only 2 applications listed, Max OS X & Y! Messenger. There doesn't seem to be anyway to add authorization to any other apps..

Here's the verbage from that page:
Manage App and Website Connections

This page shows the websites and applications that you have authorized to access your Yahoo account. This means these sites and applications can use information from your Yahoo account to support their specific services or functionality. Click on the names to see the details.

You can remove the access below. To re-establish the access, go to the site and grant permission again.
Mac OS X
This gives permission to third party service Mac OS X to:
You are giving this application access to your Yahoo! Messenger account.
You will allow read and write access to your Yahoo! Contacts data

Y! Messenger Authentication
This credential is to sign into the Yahoo Messenger client.

robor
Harmless

Postby robor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 pm

here's a tcpdump trace of adium connecting to login.yahoo.com:

ftp://69.36.163.204/tmp/yahoo.pcap

Return to “Adium”