A few Adium 0.80 requests

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Vlcice
Muffin

A few Adium 0.80 requests

Post by Vlcice »

Generally I like Adium 0.80, but there are a few things in it that, at least in my opinion, don't work quite as well as they did in the older versions; so I'd like to propose options to let them work using the old behaviour.

Firstly, the new version of the menu extra is actually a little *too* complex for my needs. I rarely need to put up an away message, so the many extra options in 0.80 in fact make it more difficult for me to do what I need to do, which is just connect or disconnect an account. The options to connect or disconnect are now hidden behind a fly-out menu, making them take longer to access. I would much appreciate it if the older, simpler menu options could be made an option somewhere.

I've also noticed that the sender's name no longer flashes blue in the contact list when a message is received; although the new "message received" icon is subtler, it is much harder to notice when, as on my screen, Adium sits off to one side of my screen as I use another program to the left. The older behaviour was useful as a quick visual indicator of who was messaging.
Tipo 61
Grandé

Post by Tipo 61 »

For the Second one, go into: Preferences -> Advanced -> Contact list

there is a checkbox to "flash names with unviewed messages
Vlcice
Muffin

Post by Vlcice »

Oh, thank you! I'd checked the options, but somehow managed to miss that one.
thejokell
Frappa

Post by thejokell »

Also, you can simply click the user name you would like to connect/disconnect, you don't need to navigate the submenus.
Vlcice
Muffin

Post by Vlcice »

You're right, that does work, thejokell! Thank you!

Unfortunately, however, the "Flash names with unviewed messages" feature doesn't appear to do anything; the names still are not flashed when a message is received.
Tipo 61
Grandé

Post by Tipo 61 »

That might have something to do with the contact list color theme

Look at the events tab when editing a color theme. It should have stuff in there like: Come online, gone offline, new message, and the like
Vlcice
Muffin

Post by Vlcice »

Oh, you're right! The options were disabled, that's why it wasn't displaying. I had no idea they would be there. ^.^;
eevyl
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by eevyl »

And so the High Council of Adium X Developers won another battle of requests without even writing a single line of code!!

Aye! ;)
Jorge Salvador Caffarena

-- Life is a theatre ... until the last tragedy.
Vlcice
Muffin

Post by Vlcice »

Well, I might make one suggestion, which may ensure my victory over the Adium Dev Council after all. ^.~ Having the option for having the contact name appear one colour when there's a message in one place and the option for flashing in another is rather counter-intuitive, and especially confusing when the flashing option can be selected on its own, causing it to appear to do nothing. It would be better to have it in the same place as selecting the colour, and disabled if no colour is selected.