Yahoo after August 5

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
jarome
Muffin

Yahoo after August 5

Postby jarome » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Will Adium still work with Yahoo chat rooms after August 5 when they are retiring the”old style” support?

icrew
Harmless

Re: Yahoo after August 5

Postby icrew » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:12 am

Well, I just got an alert from Yahoo in my Adium 1.5.11hg warning me about the August 5th deadline, which leads me to believe that it hasn't been updated to connect to Yahoo the "new way". I wonder if Yahoo's even made the APIs to connect the "new way" publicly available?

jarome
Muffin

Postby jarome » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:22 pm

I hope we get an official reply from Adium or Pidgin.

jarome
Muffin

Yahoo after August 5 - DEAD AS PROMISED

Postby jarome » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Yup. It is August 6, and Adium will no longer connect to Yahoo.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:41 pm

August 6 came and went and Adium still connected.
This morning (August 19), however, I received the following message from yahoomessenger after starting Adium:
It’s time to upgrade! Your version of Yahoo Messenger is currently being discontinued, and will no longer work as of August 31, 2016. Get the newest version at https://yho.com/getmessenger to continue using Yahoo Messenger. For more information, go to https://yho.com/YMhelp

So, will this truly be the end of Adium as far as connecting to Yahoo goes?

jarome
Muffin

Postby jarome » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Even worse, the new Yahoo croaks on my Mac.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:52 pm

I can't find any Sys Reqs for the new YM. I have to run an old version of OSX, due to a couple of mission-critical apps. I DL'ed the new YM, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't even run on my machine.

Wife and I are going to have to find some alternative to message each other throughout the day. Something that works on both her relatively up-to-date Mac, and my relatively old Mac. I'm not sure that animal exists, though. :sad:

k9gardner
Harmless

Postby k9gardner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:57 pm

For what it's worth, it's August 23, I received the notice this morning about August 31 as last day it'll work. I downloaded the "official" new version of YM, and it seems to work fine, although I hope Adium issues an updated version; it's nice to have multi-chat protocols in one program.

By the way can anyone here answer why the version I have installed is 1.5.11hg and the latest update available on the support page is only 1.5.10? Confusing. Anyway perhaps there's a version 2.0 coming soon!

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 pm

So, the new Yahoo Messenger requires OS X 10.9 or higher. :sad:

jarome
Muffin

Postby jarome » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 pm

So, I got the real scoop. When Verizon bought Yahoo, they got the rights to the name "Yahoo Messenger" but not the software. So this is a totally different program (which sucks), and it will not work for sure. And on my Mac (10.11.6), it dies listing my chats.

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:11 pm

definitely sucks. been staying in touch with a friend via yahoo chat since 2003.... but he cannot run the yahoo app because it somehow messes with his VPN he needs for business(unless the new app has fixed that?), so now I can receive his message from Pidgin, but he does not get my replies from yahoo messenger.

jarome
Muffin

Postby jarome » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:26 pm

That's because the new Yahoo Messenger is a totally different protocol.
It is time to dump Yahoo. The new Messenger does not even tell you who is online.

macminded1
Harmless

Postby macminded1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Is there any chance someone can port or integrate the Pidgin plugin for "Yahoo 2016" into Adium? It looks like basic C code for the "Pidgin/libpurple" engine. It is written to compile for Win and Linux.

You can find FunYahoo++ (aka "Yahoo 2016") on github: https://github.com/EionRobb/funyahoo-plusplus

From the op of the README, it is described as:
FunYahoo++

A replacement Yahoo prpl (protocol plugin) for Pidgin/libpurple

In 2016 Yahoo decided that they would give next-to-no notice that they were retiring their old protocol in favour of a brand new protocol that doesn't do nearly as much as the old one. Whilst Microsoft were kind enough to give people a couple of years to plan transitions for MSN, compare that with the 2 months that Yahoo were so generous to provide.

Unfortunately I drew the short straw and ended up writing this plugin in a rush at the last minute in order to scrape something together for unfortunate Yahoo users to use.

This is not a slight change from the old protocol to a new one, instead, it's a completly different protocol with the Yahoo name slapped on it. Thus there are several features that the new protocol doesn't have:

• Typing notifications
  • Away/Idle statuses
  • Your old buddy list
  • Bold/italic/underline formatting

Please don't hate me because they're missing.

Any takers?

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:54 pm

That would be great. Good find!

AndiJF
Harmless

Postby AndiJF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 am

Has there been any progress on restoring Adium access to Yahoo?
I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat...

27" iMac Intel Core i7 3.5GHz 16GB. OS/X 10.11.6. Adium 1.5.11b

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 pm

The upcoming release of Adium will remove Yahoo as it no longer works and support for it has also been removed from libpurple.

Would be neat if someone were to port the previously mentioned Pidgin protocol plugin, "FunYahoo++".

Return to “Adium”