Need a little help setting up Jabber account

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Thorzdad
Latté

Need a little help setting up Jabber account

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:08 pm

In light of Yahoo going away from Adium at the end of the month, I'm looking for alternatives that work in Adium. I thought I'd give Jabber a shot. But, I'm not sure I have it set-up right.

I went to the Adium "Registering an XMPP Account" page and read through the instructions. I selected lightswitch.org for my server. They require registering on their site only, so I did that. They have a couple of tutorials on how to set-up a client, but they are for Gajim and Pidgin. The Pidgin instructions were closer to what Adium's setup asks for, so I looked through that. I think I have Adium configured right, but the connection always stalls at "Initializing Stream (25%)"

In the Adium Edit dialog:
1. Jabber ID: Would that be username@ lightswitch.org? (In the Pidgin instructions, they say to input "lightswitch.org" as Domain.)
2. In the Options tab: Connect Server? Would that be the same as Domain? lightswitch.org? The Port is defaulted to 5222. I assume that's correct?
3. BOSH Server: I have no clue about this. The default is blank.

In the Pidgin instructions, there is this instruction: After completing click on the Tools menu and choose Plugins (or press Ctrl+U) and enable "XMPP Service Discovery". Is there anything similar in Adium I need to toggle?

Or, should I delete the account and registration and start from scratch via Adium's interface? I tried that at the beginning of all this, but clicking on the Find Public Server button did nothing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. That would include possible suggestions for better messenger services than XMPP to replace Yahoo.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Need a little help setting up Jabber account

Postby Robby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:17 am

I think XMPP ("Jabber") is a good choice. =-)

1. Yes, without the space.
2. Yes, but it should probably work leaving the field blank.
3. Not important, at least not for connecting.

It's hard to tell why it's not connecting for you. I doubt recreating the account in Adium will work better than simply editing the existing account. Maybe try a different server? I'm no expert but looking at https://xmpp.net/directory.php, lightswitch.org's server software (Metronome 3.7.9) doesn't seem that common, maybe there's some compatibility issue between Metronome and Adium.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, Robbie. You're always a great resource. I'll give a different server a try and see it that works.

Also, FWIW, the web-based Yahoo Messenger (the one you use on the Yahoo website) doesn't speak to Adium. I just tried it (in Firefox) but my wife (using Adium) couldn't get my messages. Adium DID show that I was online, though.

For some reason, Yahoo has not released a new messenger app for tablets. Right now, it's phone or desktop only. I was hoping I could use my iPad, but that's a no-go.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks, again, Robby. I picked a new server from the list you linked to, and my wife and I are now connected again, sans Yahoo.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Great! =-)

Return to “Adium”