expose: reveal desktop contact list problem

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
hoyboy9
Harmless

expose: reveal desktop contact list problem

Postby hoyboy9 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:15 pm

Hey Adium devs! I just switched to Mac a few months ago and am so glad to be rid of Windows. Adium X is so awesome, keep up the great work!

I have a problem that is 100% repeatable that may or may not be a bug. My contact list is Mockie, and is it tacked to the desktop, behind other windows. Say I want to start a convo with somebody, but the contact list is behind a few windows. I do the expose "reveal desktop" command to get to the contact list. However, I can't double click on a name to get a new IM box before all the windows that have been hidden fly back onto the screen! I only get one click. So I usually end up physically moving the windows around until I can see the contact list.

Why can we manipulate other items on the desktop like folders and drives while "reveal desktop" is activated, but not the contact list? Is there a way to fix this behavior?

Thanks so much for your great work on Adium!

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:56 pm

Hmm. I'm not sure if this is fixable on the Adium side, as it is probably a function of Exposé more than anthing else (but don't quote me on this, I'm anything but a dev). I have 3 possible workarounds for you:

1. Use Exposé to reveal all items, then select the contact list. Do the same to go back to whatever you were using.

2. Use the application switcher (cmd-tab).

3. Download QuickSilver and get the Adium plugin for it, then start a new conversation with it (some people seem to have a problem getting the Adium plugin to work, but it works fine for me).

hoyboy9
Harmless

Postby hoyboy9 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:36 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I've been thinking about this more, and here's how I see it.

When you activate Expose, you choose the window of an application you want to bring forward, and one click brings it forward. So when I activate expose by "reveal desktop," clicking on my contact list is like choosing an application, and the windows fly back in, with Adium supposedly on top. But that's the problem!

Expose doesn't seem to treat the Adium contact list correctly when the option "contact list behind other windows" is checked. If you activate standard expose, the contact list does not appear as one of the tiled windows you can click on. When you activate "reveal desktop," the contact list does not move away from the desktop, it remains. But when you click on it, the other windows fly back in. If you cmd-tab to select Adium, the contact list will not come forward, because it is stuck behind other windows.

In any event, I changed the windowing option for the contact list to "normal" and your suggestions 1 and 2 both work. Thanks for your help!

dchoby98
Adium Team

Postby dchoby98 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:43 am

There may be a small OS bug involved here, with Exposé not moving the contact list. But in reality, a window set to be "behind all other windows" (i.e. the setting you have turned on) is going to be inherently hard to get at. The only real suggestions I can make are:

1. Don't use that option.
2. or, try to arrange your windows so that a small corner of the contact list is always visible.
3. or, you might consider DesktopManager (http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/), to open up some screen real estate.

Sorry, I think that you've hit an inherent problem with "behind all other windows" windows.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:46 am

The Reveal desktop issue actually makes sense when stop thinking of how you'd like it to work.

A window should be whooshed away... however, the behind windows setting is thwarting this... so it stays on-screen.

When you click, as when you click on any window in Exposé, the windows all come rushing back.

Not trying to seem like an arse, just explaining it from my point of view. :)
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

eevyl
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby eevyl » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:36 am

Not to mention that IMHO the window should not ignore Exposé even with that setting. Exposé should only be ignored by items at desktop level, not window level (regardless being "behind"). But I guess I am minority here :P
Jorge Salvador Caffarena

-- Life is a theatre ... until the last tragedy.

hoyboy9
Harmless

Postby hoyboy9 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:38 pm

Hehe, maybe I just have this idealized view of what expose SHOULD do when I reveal the desktop. Anyways, I switched the contact list level to "normal" and now just use expose to bring my contact list up front like any other window.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this!

Return to “Adium”