[Request] A few log viewer requests/suggestions

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Vlcice
Muffin

[Request] A few log viewer requests/suggestions

Post by Vlcice »

Although I generally like the Adium log viewer, I do have a few requests for things that could help improve it.

Currently, Adium's logs are without original text colours and so on - except for the usernames, which are displayed in colour. It would be nice to be able to configure the colours that usernames display as, or turn off the colour.

As well, these username colours are only for HTML logs; my older plaintext logs (many of them converted from Gaim) are displayed inconsistently now. I realize that the older plaintext logs are really a legacy thing, but my logs are *very* important for me and I'd very much like it if they were displayed consistently with the modern log format. Since the username format is consistent, perhaps it would be possible to detect the username portion of the message and colour it as with HTML logs?

When selecting a log, the bottom portion of it is shown. When I read logs, however, I usually wish to begin at the beginning of a conversation; if others agree, changing this behaviour could be more convenient.

In addition, similarly, adding keyboard shortcuts to move to the top or bottom of a log would be nice; currently the arrow keys and command-arrow keys simply move up and down a log, so it's not possible to scroll through a log using the keyboard.

I've also noticed a pair of bugs in the log viewer, but I'll report those in the appropriate place.
ofri
Growl Team

Re: [Request] A few log viewer requests/suggestions

Post by ofri »

Vlcice wrote:In addition, similarly, adding keyboard shortcuts to move to the top or bottom of a log would be nice; currently the arrow keys and command-arrow keys simply move up and down a log, so it's not possible to scroll through a log using the keyboard.
This is because you don't have the focus on the log itself, but on the list of logs. Click on the log itself and then the arrow keys should work like you want.
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
--Albert Einstein

http://www.dpompa.com
Vlcice
Muffin

Re: [Request] A few log viewer requests/suggestions

Post by Vlcice »

ofri wrote:
Vlcice wrote:In addition, similarly, adding keyboard shortcuts to move to the top or bottom of a log would be nice; currently the arrow keys and command-arrow keys simply move up and down a log, so it's not possible to scroll through a log using the keyboard.
This is because you don't have the focus on the log itself, but on the list of logs. Click on the log itself and then the arrow keys should work like you want.
That's true, and tabbing over does fix that. It would be nice to have something that didn't require clicking on it or tabbing over, however.

[Edit: As an example of what I mean, in Adium message windows you can scroll up and down in the message view pane instead of the text bar by holding control. Not that it's a huge deal, it would just be a nice tweak.]