Adium doesn't show status to MSN users?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
mugget
Harmless

Adium doesn't show status to MSN users?

Postby mugget » Sat May 28, 2005 4:04 am

i've just been using Adium for my MSN account... and i found out the other day that my status message hasn't been showing to other MSN users?

i had my status set to Away with the message like "i'm AFK right now" but then when i went to my bro's laptop (he's using Trillian) all it said was that i was "Away"?

i was wondering what i can do to fix this? or is it a known limitation? :?

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Sat May 28, 2005 5:09 am

MSN simply doesn't have custom status messages.
The day it comes in the MSN protocol, the gaim guys will implement it and it will come in Adium after this.

The best you can do is simulate this behavior with auto-reply (but since MSN protocol doesn't have this, it confuses peecee users)

Joe
Muffin

Postby Joe » Sat May 28, 2005 12:36 pm

MSN really does make me depressed.

zerock
Crema

Postby zerock » Sat May 28, 2005 2:50 pm

well msn does have personal message on MSN7 for pc, until that is implemented in gaim, there is no can do.

slickdolce
Harmless

Postby slickdolce » Sat May 28, 2005 2:54 pm

twopeak wrote:MSN simply doesn't have custom status messages.
The day it comes in the MSN protocol, the gaim guys will implement it and it will come in Adium after this.

The best you can do is simulate this behavior with auto-reply (but since MSN protocol doesn't have this, it confuses peecee users)

speaking of auto-reply confusing MSN members, is there any way to make it so that your away messages auto-reply to AIM users but not to MSN users? the only way i could think to do it is to set two different away messages (one for your AIM account, auto-replying, and the other for your MSN account, not replying), but that is kind of a pain if you usually use custom messages.

any ideas?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sat May 28, 2005 6:01 pm

slickdolce wrote:
twopeak wrote:MSN simply doesn't have custom status messages.

speaking of auto-reply confusing MSN members, is there any way to make it so that your away messages auto-reply to AIM users but not to MSN users? the only way i could think to do it is to set two different away messages (one for your AIM account, auto-replying, and the other for your MSN account, not replying), but that is kind of a pain if you usually use custom messages.

any ideas?

We're considering making the autoreply required on AIM and impossible on MSN... just have it follow whatever the protocol expects. Thoughts?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

ofri
Growl Team

Postby ofri » Sat May 28, 2005 7:13 pm

evands wrote:We're considering making the autoreply required on AIM and impossible on MSN... just have it follow whatever the protocol expects. Thoughts?

I really like it the way it is now. My friends got used to it and i find it a very very useful feature.
How about making an option to autoreply only on protocols that support this?
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
--Albert Einstein

http://www.dpompa.com

Arenzera
Crema

Postby Arenzera » Sun May 29, 2005 7:47 am

Please keep the auto-reply feature open to all accounts. I don't care if it screws with people's minds ;-)

Kiel :-)

Damienoneill
Frappa

Postby Damienoneill » Sun May 29, 2005 8:20 am

Arenzera wrote:Please keep the auto-reply feature open to all accounts. I don't care if it screws with people's minds ;-)

Kiel :-)

Yeah! Keep this feature in. A lot of people actually do know about auto-reply due to msn plus and stuff.

auric
Harmless

Postby auric » Sun May 29, 2005 8:42 am

Damienoneill wrote:Yeah! Keep this feature in. A lot of people actually do know about auto-reply due to msn plus and stuff.

Another vote for keeping the auto-reply message in on all accounts!!!

Tip: If you want to, you can begin this auto-reply message with "AutoMessage: " MSN Plus! Users will see this auto-reply message in a special color. All the others immediately know that you are not talking, but the program responds.
Another thing I think is really cool: if you set the color of your auto-reply message different to the color of your regular messages, it'll show up in another color too: suppose, your auto-away message is in red and your regular messages are in blue. Then too, another user can see immediately if you are responding or the program. I don't know wether this is a "bug" or a feature, but I'd like to see this as a feature and not being removed :)

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Sun May 29, 2005 1:58 pm

evands wrote:We're considering making the autoreply required on AIM and impossible on MSN... just have it follow whatever the protocol expects. Thoughts?

Please don't... I use MSN mainly, and it's very useful to have the autoreply feature since MSN doesn't support status messages its a good way to let people know what you are doing, how long you'll be gone for etc...

I think a better solution is to just let the people know it's an auto reply instead of removing it completely. Add (Auto Message:) or (Auto-reply:) to the beginning or the end of a message for MSN users.

auric
Harmless

Postby auric » Sun May 29, 2005 2:01 pm

Sean wrote:Add (Auto Message:) or (Auto-reply:) to the beginning or the end of a message for MSN users.

or just a plain AutoMessage: to be compatible with MSN Plus. But if this string is added by the program, the user has to be informed of that. In my case, my correspondent would get the message "AutoMessage: AutoMessage: I'm away" or something like that :)

slickdolce
Harmless

Postby slickdolce » Sun May 29, 2005 5:53 pm

i understand that a lot of people seem to like auto-reply for MSN, but others do not. isn't adium all about customization?

why not leave the defaults as they are, but provide some preferences screen in which to individually set defaults for each account. for instance, i could make each of my AIM accounts autoreply by default, but i could set my MSN account to not autoreply as a default. then, when setting individual away messages, i could change these to something else if i wanted to, but otherwise it would behave how i wanted it to.

what do people think about this idea, including the option to set defaults on an account-by-account basis. it would give us all the freedom we want, without forcing anyone to have it a certain way...

auric
Harmless

Postby auric » Sun May 29, 2005 5:56 pm

slickdolce wrote:what do people think about this idea, including the option to set defaults on an account-by-account basis. it would give us all the freedom we want, without forcing anyone to have it a certain way...

Except about the fact that this will give the developers quite some work, I do agree with this :)

Return to “Adium”