Intel Switch - what it means for Adium

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
OmniGeno
Muffin

Intel Switch - what it means for Adium

Postby OmniGeno » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:01 pm

So how does the Apple switch to Intel chips (officially announced today) affect the development of Adium? My guess would be nothing, in the near future, and some work in the distant future to transfer everything over to the new architecture. Of course my knowledge of coding is extremely limited. And there will probably not be much change in the look and feel and features of our beloved IM client.

I'd like to know what the Adium team and others think about this.
The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Nomster
Harmless

Postby Nomster » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:05 pm

It won't affect programs such as Adium one bit... the eventual transition will be like panther to tiger, as the new version with intel support is relased.... i assume... at any rate, with IBM's current development speed with the G5, this is good news...

Ders
Latté

Postby Ders » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:13 pm

I believe Apple said that there was going to be a change to XCode that will allow for a recompile. That's it. I could be wrong though :)

axcess99
Muffin

Postby axcess99 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Gaim already runs on x86, so libgaim (adium's backend) should compile for x86 just fine.

Cocoa (adium's front end) will compile for MacIntel just fine as well.

As said in the Keynote, it should just require minor tweaks, hopefully to just the build settings in XCode.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:37 pm

Apple is not switching to x86 architecture...

jstamos
Growl Team

Postby jstamos » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:44 pm

MBHockey wrote:Apple is not switching to x86 architecture...

...uh, a Pentium IV is x86, and that's what they ran Mac OS X at the Keynote. So yes, they are switching to x86.

It means a small amount of time recompiling. Apple is trying to make the effort as painless as possible.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:47 pm

My bad, i read it wrong earlier i guess.

I just read the entire article over an AnandTech; i find this switch quite exciting. I think i'll buy a new Mac when it's an intel based one that is running Leopard.
Last edited by MBHockey on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:48 pm

We are not amused by this news :(

Kinda liked having a more unique processor...

Rich::

axcess99
Muffin

Postby axcess99 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Simba Cub wrote:We are not amused by this news :(

Kinda liked having a more unique processor...

::right clicks on unique-> Selects "look up in dictionary" and reads results::

Dictionary.app wrote:For example, since the core meaning of unique (from Latin ‘one’) is ‘being only one of its kind,’ it is logically impossible, the argument goes, to submodify it: it either is ‘unique’ or it is not, and there are no stages in between.
It is advisable, however, to use unique sparingly and not to modify it with | very, | quite, | really, etc.

(yay for tiger) :-p

Overall I have mixed feelings on the switch. I liked having a different Processor, and it was encouraging that Microsoft and other game makers were switching to PowerPC. But there is the undeniable argument that the PowerPC was not going to make a portable computer any time soon.

Hopfully the Intel processors will be 64-bit when they do the official roll-out (or at least by the time they re-vamp the high-end models)

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 pm

axcess99 wrote:::right clicks on unique-> Selects "look up in dictionary" and reads results::

You know, I had no idea you could do that! Thanks!

jstamos
Growl Team

Postby jstamos » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Simba Cub wrote:
axcess99 wrote:::right clicks on unique-> Selects "look up in dictionary" and reads results::

You know, I had no idea you could do that! Thanks!

Also, hold down command, control and d and put your mouse over a word in a Cocoa application. Nifty little trick :)

I say huzzah for the switch, if for nothing else so that the laptops see a new processor for once.

Bosk
Frappa

Postby Bosk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:38 pm

you know apple's not gonna settle for just running on some stock-part pentium 4. apple's processors will still be special (in many ways, i'm betting, so that people can't build their own macs, because that would interfere with steve's reality distortion field)

dont_be_jack
Harmless

Postby dont_be_jack » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm assuming that for a good long time Adium will be compiled as a universal binary. At least I hope. I plan on still buying an iBook as I need a computer for college this autumn and will not wait to get an Intel-based Apple computer until I am out of college.

Not that it should be hard to do a universal binary since it'll be a simple check of a box in XCode if I'm correct.

jstamos
Growl Team

Postby jstamos » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:14 am

dont_be_jack wrote:I'm assuming that for a good long time Adium will be compiled as a universal binary. At least I hope. I plan on still buying an iBook as I need a computer for college this autumn and will not wait to get an Intel-based Apple computer until I am out of college.

Not that it should be hard to do a universal binary since it'll be a simple check of a box in XCode if I'm correct.

I don't think a simple checkbox in XCode took the Lightwave developers two days :) No, it is not just a checkbox.

dont_be_jack
Harmless

Postby dont_be_jack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:17 am

jstamos wrote:
dont_be_jack wrote:I'm assuming that for a good long time Adium will be compiled as a universal binary. At least I hope. I plan on still buying an iBook as I need a computer for college this autumn and will not wait to get an Intel-based Apple computer until I am out of college.

I don't think a simple checkbox in XCode took the Lightwave developers two days :) No, it is not just a checkbox.

They completely compiled new code that was x86 specific. For compiling a program in universal binary, you just need to check a box in XCode and when you compile the code, it'll be able to run on both processors.

lordoftheoats
Muffin

Postby lordoftheoats » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:19 am

jstamos wrote:
MBHockey wrote:Apple is not switching to x86 architecture...

...uh, a Pentium IV is x86, and that's what they ran Mac OS X at the Keynote. So yes, they are switching to x86.

The dev kits and test machine at the keynote are x86 machines, but I am sure that when the Intel-based units finally ship, they will all be x64. I find it hard to believe that after Apple's 64-bit push with the G5 they would return to 32-bit chips.
Pants?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:50 am

x86 is often used synonymously with x86-64, AMD64, and EM64T (all different names for the same thing). My guess is that OSX will run on either 32 or 64 bit x86, so that they can use the Pentium-M, which won't be 64 bit for a bit. The Pentium-4 is already 64 bit for the newest ones, as are all the new Athlons.

And yes, it should be as simple as a checkbox or two in Xcode to make Adium run nicely on both. There's the possibility that we have some endian-specific code, but I kinda doubt it, and if there is some there isn't much.

jstamos
Growl Team

Postby jstamos » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:10 am

dont_be_jack wrote:They completely compiled new code that was x86 specific. For compiling a program in universal binary, you just need to check a box in XCode and when you compile the code, it'll be able to run on both processors.

No. If you watch the keynote, some Cocoa apps will need minor tweaks in addition to the checkbox. Adium, however, will likely be okay.

And... in the end, does it really matter? Adium is Cocoa, which is the easiest to port behind Widgets/Java/Scripts, and there is a year until the first Intel-based macs come out.

neop
Harmless

Postby neop » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:30 am

jstamos wrote:
dont_be_jack wrote:They completely compiled new code that was x86 specific. For compiling a program in universal binary, you just need to check a box in XCode and when you compile the code, it'll be able to run on both processors.

No. If you watch the keynote, some Cocoa apps will need minor tweaks in addition to the checkbox. Adium, however, will likely be okay.

And... in the end, does it really matter? Adium is Cocoa, which is the easiest to port behind Widgets/Java/Scripts, and there is a year until the first Intel-based macs come out.

But after does tweaks the simple checkbox will allow you to compile for both processors without modifying the code.

jstamos
Growl Team

Postby jstamos » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 am

neop wrote:But after does tweaks the simple checkbox will allow you to compile for both processors without modifying the code.

Correct. It's a one-time deal, and it's very easy :)

Return to “Adium”