New IM

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Lyg
Frappa

New IM

Postby Lyg » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:40 am

When entering the screen name or alias for a new IM tab, Adium should think differently about which screen name to send to. It should change the field to whichever screen name of a meta-contact is currently online, and if multiples are online, then it should use the screen name highest up in the meta-contact Info window. My opinion - thanks!

dchoby98
Adium Team

Re: New IM

Postby dchoby98 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:48 am

Lyg wrote:When entering the screen name or alias for a new IM tab, Adium should think differently about which screen name to send to. It should change the field to whichever screen name of a meta-contact is currently online, and if multiples are online, then it should use the screen name highest up in the meta-contact Info window. My opinion - thanks!

This seems a bit like Adium trying to tell you what to do. If you are typing that name, then we have to assume that that's the name you wanted to send a message to. :)

Also, suppose that you want to send a message to someone who is invisible (i.e., they appear offline). If things were to work this way, you could never send them a message -- Adium would always change to a different name from the metacontact for you.

Personally, I think that programs shouldn't try to think for me too much -- completing a name is a good idea, but changing it to a different (even related) name is going too far.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:06 am

What about an ESP algorithm? :lol:
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:46 am

I swear OS X has one. iTunes always seems to randomly play the song I'm thinking of...

dchoby98
Adium Team

Postby dchoby98 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:50 am

Only with the new G5's.

djbsquared
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby djbsquared » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:56 am

and you have to have plenty of RAM, without it it might get the song the person next to you is thinking of...

Lyg
Frappa

Postby Lyg » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:35 am

To clarify, I meant when I type the meta-contact name in. So entering Adam in the New IM window will open up resimada instead of another screen name of his that is higher up on my meta-contact priority in the Info window but is offline. Thanks for consideration!

dchoby98
Adium Team

Postby dchoby98 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:30 am

My concerns above still apply. What if you WANT to send a message to that offline name? (i.e., maybe they appear offline because they're invisible)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:01 am

This sounds like something that is a bit more than what we'd want to have. You could change the name in the drop down for the new message though, that'll get you what you want :D

Return to “Adium”