File Transfer broken?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Rita
Frappa

File Transfer broken?

Post by Rita »

Wanted to make sure others were having this problem before I started a trac on it. I'm pretty sure file transfer on AIM was working on .81, definitely was working on .8, but doesn't seem to work on .82. I can't send or receive files, even though I or the other person has accepted the transfer.

Anyone else with this problem? Should I start a trac on it (searched, but didnt' see one)?
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

Rita
Frappa

Post by Rita »

Yea, I checked that, but my question is that it worked just fine in .81 (without having to open any ports), so is there something in .82 that made it go buggy, or was I just lucky that it worked just fine in .81?
brildenlanch
Harmless

Post by brildenlanch »

Rita wrote:Yea, I checked that, but my question is that it worked just fine in .81 (without having to open any ports), so is there something in .82 that made it go buggy, or was I just lucky that it worked just fine in .81?

Just lucky. It works on and off.
Rita
Frappa

Post by Rita »

brildenlanch wrote:
Rita wrote:Yea, I checked that, but my question is that it worked just fine in .81 (without having to open any ports), so is there something in .82 that made it go buggy, or was I just lucky that it worked just fine in .81?

Just lucky. It works on and off.

Thanks. Now to figure out how to open ports...
twopeak
Crema

Post by twopeak »

To open a port
Go to system preferences
Open sharing pane
click firewall tab
check if service if in the list, if yes: enable it
if no: choose "New..." select port: "Other"
enter the information
click ok.
Close system prefs.

You may need to unlock the prefs with the little lock down left.
This is assuming you're using the built in firewall, and not little snitch or anything else.
Rita
Frappa

Post by Rita »

Thanks, TwoSpeak! Please bear with me, as I'm not that good at some of this stuff, and am a bit confused.

check if service if in the list, if yes: enable it

If which service is in the list? Adium? If so, it's not. So I went to new and selected ports other, but then I couldn't figure out what information goes where. When I go to other, I get "TCP Port Numbers," "UDP Port Numbers," and "Description."

What should go where?
Ryanman Smith
Harmless

Post by Ryanman Smith »

Today for the FIRST time, File Transfer worked for me. How was it changed? I actually registered in order to ask about whether or not it was changed, but then I realized that it was actually doing it. So thanks.

But how was it changed? I'm asking because I wonder if I'm just lucky this time. Normally I log off and go to iChat, but this time someone (using iChat) just sent the file and I got a message saying it worked.

I don't know what trac, or ports are, btw.

I use .82 now, with osx10.3 on a powerbook g4.

Does file transfer work with iChat AND AIM?
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

Ryanman Smith wrote:I don't know what trac

trac is just a system that adium uses to track(get it?) bugs, feature requests and code changes
you can find the trac at [url]trac.adiumx.com[/url]
Walrus
Harmless

Post by Walrus »

I've been having the same file transfer problem as you all. Using OS 10.3.9, no firewall, on a g3 500 iBook. I can neither send nor receive files. Using AIM or iChat does work, so it must be an Adium specific issue.
jstamos
Growl Team

Post by jstamos »

Right. If you had read the wiki, you would know that File Transfer isn't 100%, and it's not Adium's fault, but gaim's non-perfect (but damn good for having to reverse engineer!) implementation.

Locking this thread, as it has become completely useless.