Meta-Contacts

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.

Do you need Meta-Contacts?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 30

Somethingiateforlunch

Postby Somethingiateforlunch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:16 am

ahh i see.. my years of windows use has gotten the best of me.. thats a tuff one, so then the drag over and drop with a pop up window would be a good answer to the problem?

thanks for the clarification, that does make sense, ever since ive made the switch.. ive had to figure out very little on my own :)

what about making an option like contact--->create meta contact with (name).. and then have a hot key right beside it so u dont have to keep going up there and diong that?

Synapse
Latté

Postby Synapse » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:29 am

Why not a contact list editor, where all the Aliases are editable and you have direct drag and drop meta contacts.

cbarrett
Adium Team

Postby cbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:44 am

Oh man, contact list editors. We tried so hard to make a good one, and failed so many times. We eventually decided on in-line editing only :)

Synapse
Latté

Postby Synapse » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:49 am

Okay, then what about an "Edit Mode" in the actual list, where aliases and metas are editable?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:55 am

Nah, we decided that was a bad idea too.

Synapse
Latté

Postby Synapse » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:57 am

/me pipes down.

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:00 am

How about a magical fairy wand that reads your mind and makes the contact list exactly as you want it?

Hehe, I'm actually fine with the way it is now. Regular drag for contact ordering, option-drag for metas (or address book), get info for meta ordering.

cbarrett
Adium Team

Postby cbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:05 am

There are two problem with option dragging. One is that option-drag is for copying things. The other is that it's not immediately obviuos that option dragging does anything. What we have now works, but it's not completely ideal (Dunno what that ideal solution is, or if it even exists, though).

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:38 am

There are a couple of options (no pun intended) that come to mind:

1) Sound effect, specific to MC creation, that is played when the drag is finished. Signals audibly that something happened.

2) An indicator on list objects that are MCs to visually distinguish them at a glance and when a drag is complete this indicator appears, also indicating that something has been done, and provides a visible change.

These two coupled together seem good to me, but I'm biased ;)
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Somethingiateforlunch

Postby Somethingiateforlunch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:51 am

for 1)

can we have a wand sound!!!???? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!???????

cbarrett
Adium Team

Postby cbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:55 am

1) oh god, definitely no sounds. I'm sure there's something in the HIG against this, and if there isn't, it's definitely very un-Mac-like.

2) My contact list consists of only text, no images (and only about 66% of it fits on the screen). Although, if our protocol icons and things scaled better, I would definitely be using them (they don't scale down at all right now). The code for the triangles can easily be adapted for those things (I wrote that code *puffs out chest*). It only makes them smaller, not bigger. and keeps them in line with the font-size. So I don't really know if I'm for or against this one.

How do other IM clients handle this type of thing (GAIM? Proteus? Trillian?)

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:16 am

cbarrett wrote:1) oh god, definitely no sounds. I'm sure there's something in the HIG against this, and if there isn't, it's definitely very un-Mac-like.

Like the poof sound effect or emptying trash or the other items included under System Preferences -> Sound and specifically "Play user interface sound effects" or the "ding" when you finish burning a CD? :P
Try my software!

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:23 am

cbarrett wrote:How do other IM clients handle this type of thing (GAIM? Proteus? Trillian?)

GAIM - treats MCs as a mini-outline/group that is collapsed. The disclosure arrow serves as an indicator.

Proteus - seems to act like we do normally, except in the case of showing service icons as overlays, in which case it shows multiple ones on the icon.

Trillian - shows them as a mini-outline/group, no disclosure arrow.

All are shown in list, of course :)
Try my software!

cbarrett
Adium Team

Postby cbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:20 am

I like the disclosure triangle idea. Feels Mac-like. Although it might throw off the alignment of non Metas a little.

Return to “Adium”