IM virgin, seeking some assistance please

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
rene
Harmless

IM virgin, seeking some assistance please

Postby rene » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:07 am

Hi folks,

I haven't ever used IM before but now have a need to do so. I am running OS X (10.3.9) and wanted to get something other than Yahoo, MSN, et al., so I looked around and downloaded Adium.

Here's my question: I've just got a user account at jabber (vacunao@jabber.org), but how do I test it to see if I can send and receive messages? I realize the obvious answer is to get someone's handle and try that, but right now I can't think of many of my buddies that actually use IM except one. He's not online at all right now, but I tried this addy <user@chat.yahoo.com> and got back a message with error "504" I think.

If you could suggest anywhere to go or any answers I'd be much obliged. Perhaps a kind soul would send me their handle and I can try sending a message.

Thanks,
Rene

ps -- I did try sending a message to <jabber.org/echo> coz I read that somewhere as a way of getting a message back. Didn't work, but no error message either. I tried sending one to myself and did get it.

shanecavanaugh

Postby shanecavanaugh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:33 am

Jabber bots

The Chat Bot worked for my Jabber.org account.

Perez
Frappa

Postby Perez » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:02 pm

I found that the 'echo' feature didn't work for me, under Adium, for some reason.
naib.webhop.org | PGP: 0xEC479127

rene
Harmless

is Adium the app I want to use?

Postby rene » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:32 pm

It strikes me that perhaps I should be using another app for IM . . . I don't know enough about them to be a good judge, but I was looking for an open source app that would let me chat with folks who are using Yahoo, MSN and all the rest without my needing to get accts on those types of services.

Is this even possible?

What apps would you folks recommend? What do you not like?

I may be limited because on my primary machine I'm still running OS X 10.3.9 and not 10.4. That's only because I've got 10.4 on another box and there are some stability issues with it.

thanks,

Rene'

Adam Iser
Crema

Re: is Adium the app I want to use?

Postby Adam Iser » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:17 pm

rene wrote:It strikes me that perhaps I should be using another app for IM . . . I don't know enough about them to be a good judge, but I was looking for an open source app that would let me chat with folks who are using Yahoo, MSN and all the rest without my needing to get accts on those types of services.

Is this even possible?

That is not possible - so you're never going to find that app :)

rene
Harmless

ok, what's possible, then?

Postby rene » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 pm

Thanks for all your helpful replies!

Ok, so if I can't do the impossible, what is possible? What do you folks suggest for a tool, or suite of tools, that would allow one to IM chat with folks on Yahoo, MSN, and whatever else is popular? I'm on a OS X box running Panther, but eventually, once I get the glitches solved with running Tiger on my work setup, will be migrating to Tiger.

My preference is the fewest apps possible that will allow me to IM with a few of these services, and if it's open source, so much the better!

thanks in advance folks!

Rene'

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:13 pm

1) Register an account on each service you want to use

2) Use adium

Adam Iser
Crema

Re: ok, what's possible, then?

Postby Adam Iser » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:44 pm

rene wrote:Thanks for all your helpful replies!

Ok, so if I can't do the impossible, what is possible? What do you folks suggest for a tool, or suite of tools, that would allow one to IM chat with folks on Yahoo, MSN, and whatever else is popular? I'm on a OS X box running Panther, but eventually, once I get the glitches solved with running Tiger on my work setup, will be migrating to Tiger.

My preference is the fewest apps possible that will allow me to IM with a few of these services, and if it's open source, so much the better!

thanks in advance folks!

Rene'

That's like searching out a grocery store, going inside, and asking everyone there "Do you have any idea of a place that I could go and obtain groceries? Perhaps some kind of establishment like a store?".

You're standing in the grocery store - http://www.adiumx.com :P

Our documentation on creating accounts - http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/CreatingAnAccount - may answer a lot of your questions.

axcess99
Muffin

Postby axcess99 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:09 pm

One of adium major points is that it allows multiple accounts from multiple services to be signed on all simultaneously.

1) get an account on each service you wish to use
2) download adium and log on to all those accounts at once
3) ...um...
add buddies to your list, start chatting, and for the most part not really care what service your buddies are on...

This gives you one program with which to use all services. And it is open-source.

rene
Harmless

Oh, I see the missing piece now!

Postby rene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:57 pm

These points were what I was not understanding before:

1) get an account on each service you wish to use
2) download adium and log on to all those accounts at once

Thanks! Now I understand (and have done) how to be able to confer with users on various chat programs using only one.

I had looked on the Adium support page, but maybe I was too tired or too dumb to understand how this works till now.

My apologies for being "dense"!

Rene'

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:00 pm

Last time I was reading the jabber.org page, I found out there *are* jabber servers that offers "bridges" to other protocols.
so you should try and see the jabber information if you can find this back...

And another thing, keep an eye on the google-application (it's also jabber, but maybe they're going to change something) because I heard voices saying they want to make it like a phone: it doesn't matter who you try to contact, and what service they use, it works!
let's hope this will be true!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:02 pm

Jabber bridges suck

rene
Harmless

jabber servers

Postby rene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:27 pm

twopeak:

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.jabber.org/network/

The_Tick:

Why do they suck? In principle or in practice?

just curious, as obviously I don't know anything about this stuff!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:36 pm

In general some are decent, some are really bad and barely support anything. Since you already have a multi im client, why not just use that with each service?

rene
Harmless

Postby rene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:03 pm

The_Tick said:

In general some are decent, some are really bad and barely support anything. Since you already have a multi im client, why not just use that with each service?

Yes, that makes sense, of course . . . I was just wondering. Now that I've got the tips you and the others have given me here, I've been able to add other services. The part I wasn't understanding before was that I had to open accts. at the other services FIRSt in order to use them w/Adium (duh!).

later,

René

Return to “Adium”