Connecting to AIM from work.

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
trancertong
Harmless

Connecting to AIM from work.

Post by trancertong »

I'm sure someone on here has asked this before, and I'm sorry for reposting, but I couldn't find any topics on the matter. Please don't lynch me :(

Anyway, I'm trying to connect to AIM from work, I work at an elementary school and they have a pretty nazi firewall blocking all kinds of things. I can connect to Google talk through iChat and GameRanger, but nothing in Adium (AIM or YIM) works. I'm a little fuzzy on this whole ports thing, so if anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Zeremus X
Crema

Post by Zeremus X »

try going into system preferences (if you can I know school computers have all kinds of blocks and crap) and try going under sharing and mess around with the firewall stuff. I bet there is some way that you can make it so you can let certin programs in and out of the firewall. Although since your using a school computer I'm not sure what you will be allowed to do...
trancertong
Harmless

Post by trancertong »

This is my own iBook, I just take it to work with me, so I could do whatever the hell I wanted to it, the firewall isn't on the individual computers, it's on a DNS server somewhere up the line, so turning it off isn't really an option.
Zeremus X
Crema

Post by Zeremus X »

Well Im not sure how to get around the firewall. I'm sure someone here will help you out! 8)
Tipo 61
Grandé

Post by Tipo 61 »

I think the Ports that AIM uses are ports 5190-5200. You can open up ports in:

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall

hope this helps
trancertong
Harmless

Post by trancertong »

The problem isn't on my computer here, there's no firewall set up on my computer. I'm beginning to think it may not even be a matter of ports, but a matter of the address (toc.oscar.com or whatever) being blocked. i tried both servers that i could find, login.oscar.com, and the toc one, neither work. are there any other servers?
Zeremus X
Crema

Post by Zeremus X »

Well there may not be a way that you can hook up AIM because of the firewall they have up. Since you dont have authorization you cant exactly change it either... Sorry I dont know what else to say but good luck.
cybergoober
Harmless

Post by cybergoober »

Oscar listens on port 80 as well… ;)
Newtylicious
Muffin

Post by Newtylicious »

Or use a proxy server to get around it....My school isn't smart enough to block ports though, just certain pages. But the proxy would work.
trancertong
Harmless

Post by trancertong »

i think a proxy would work, but i have no idea how to work with a proxy

i got an address for a proxy server, but for some reason it still wouldn't connect, i have no idea why, though, it would just try and connect for like 30 seconds, then stop, try again, then stop, then after a few times, finally stop...

the more i think about it, the more i think it must be the address and not the port, since it won't connect on port 80, and there's no way they could have a firewall on port 80... right?

i have a computer at home that sits quietly and does nothing, could i set it up as a proxy server and connect to it from work?