Some contacts never show as online

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
gif32
Harmless

Some contacts never show as online

Postby gif32 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:51 am

For the past 9 days (maybe since I upgraded to 0.83?) there are a significant number of AIM contacts that have never shown as being online. I can talk to them as though they were invisible, but they won't show up in my buddy list unless I "show offline contacts." They show up fine in iChat or the official client. They're all in the same account.

Anything I should be looking for? I haven't been able to identify any pattern as to why some show and some don't. Thanks for your help.

-gif

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:38 am

Update to 0.84

gif32
Harmless

Postby gif32 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:47 am

Wow didn't see the update ... even says it in the release notes. Geez.... thanks.

-g

SeaWolf
Muffin

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:49 am

There was a bit of a problem with 0.83, exactly as you're describing. 0.84 is now available and should sort it out. Download it and try it instead.

dzhim
Harmless

Postby dzhim » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:43 pm

Are you sure this was fixed? Here's excerpts from an email conversation with my mom. I just had her upgrade from 1.6 so she had to rebuild her buddy list and now I don't show as online for her or vice-versa:

I'm still not seeing you available on my buddy list, even though I added dzhim as a contact.

I'll leave [Adium] connected today while I'm at class. If you sign on and it doesn't show me as online, try clicking on me and sending a message anyway. (It might ask, "dzhim is not online, do you want to send the message anyway?" Cancel/Send Now/Send Later -- click Send Now.)

Okay, I did that, and I got the message "Could not send because dzhim is blocked."

Try selecting me, and going to the Contact menu, then "Unblock."

Tried that, but [it says] you're not blocked. Now what?

We're both using .84, though I signed on with iChat and a different screenname and she couldn't message that one either.

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:04 pm

dzhim wrote:Are you sure this was fixed? Here's excerpts from an email conversation with my mom. I just had her upgrade from 1.6 so she had to rebuild her buddy list and now I don't show as online for her or vice-versa:

I'm still not seeing you available on my buddy list, even though I added dzhim as a contact.

I'll leave [Adium] connected today while I'm at class. If you sign on and it doesn't show me as online, try clicking on me and sending a message anyway. (It might ask, "dzhim is not online, do you want to send the message anyway?" Cancel/Send Now/Send Later -- click Send Now.)

Okay, I did that, and I got the message "Could not send because dzhim is blocked."

Try selecting me, and going to the Contact menu, then "Unblock."

Tried that, but [it says] you're not blocked. Now what?

We're both using .84, though I signed on with iChat and a different screenname and she couldn't message that one either.

That sounds like an issue with blocking / privacy settings. The 0.83 issue was preventing status updates from reaching Adium such that contacts would appear offline but messaging and pretty much everything else continued to work.

dzhim
Harmless

Postby dzhim » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:38 pm

That sounds like an issue with blocking / privacy settings. The 0.83 issue was preventing status updates from reaching Adium such that contacts would appear offline but messaging and pretty much everything else continued to work.

What about it, then? Neither one of us has the other blocked, and we could message fine prior to her upgrading from 1.6. I seem to recall when I started using "Adium 2" having some troubles because Adium was suddenly respecting some server-side settings that it had ignored before (for me, it was that I never went idle). I had to connect with the official AIM client and go to "account configuration" or something and make some changes. Could it be something like that?

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:50 pm

hmm have you tried using another instant msging app? to test of course.. :P but I saw you tested ichat... try aim and using the same screeny...

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:36 pm

dzhim wrote:

What about it, then? Neither one of us has the other blocked, and we could message fine prior to her upgrading from 1.6. I seem to recall when I started using "Adium 2" having some troubles because Adium was suddenly respecting some server-side settings that it had ignored before (for me, it was that I never went idle). I had to connect with the official AIM client and go to "account configuration" or something and make some changes. Could it be something like that?

Perhaps :)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:48 pm

he said to make changes in the official aim client... not that he tested in the official aim client.

although many users tend not to read posts in a certain topic before they post.

I do.

dzhim
Harmless

Postby dzhim » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:31 pm

There's more. This is strange:

I'm playing with Adium again, and still get the "cannot send becase dzhim is blocked". I looked under Contacts, and when I select dzhim, it says "Block" in bold, which indicates that it is now unblocked. However, if I select [some of the people I can actually talk to], it says "unblock" under contacts, which would indicate they are currently blocked, which they are not, because I can IM with them.

Where does it say "Block" for me (or for [the other people], "Unblock")? In the Contacts menu? I don't know why it would say Unblock for the people you can talk to, but if it's different for me, try to "block" me and see if it does the opposite.

If I select dzhim, go under contacts, select Block, it says "Are you sure you want to block dzhim?" I hit okay, and the selection under contacts turns from Block to unblock. Same happens in reverse, from unblock to block, but no change happens when I try to send an IM. Still says "Could not send message because dzhim is blocked."

Update:
And regardless if [someone else] is blocked or unblocked, if I try to send a message, I get "Could not send because [screenname] is not available."

Does blocking actually work? I just did some testing and tried to block some people and nothing happened.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:02 pm

dzhim wrote:There's more. This is strange:

I'm playing with Adium again, and still get the "cannot send becase dzhim is blocked". I looked under Contacts, and when I select dzhim, it says "Block" in bold, which indicates that it is now unblocked. However, if I select [some of the people I can actually talk to], it says "unblock" under contacts, which would indicate they are currently blocked, which they are not, because I can IM with them.

Where does it say "Block" for me (or for [the other people], "Unblock")? In the Contacts menu? I don't know why it would say Unblock for the people you can talk to, but if it's different for me, try to "block" me and see if it does the opposite.

If I select dzhim, go under contacts, select Block, it says "Are you sure you want to block dzhim?" I hit okay, and the selection under contacts turns from Block to unblock. Same happens in reverse, from unblock to block, but no change happens when I try to send an IM. Still says "Could not send message because dzhim is blocked."

Update:
And regardless if [someone else] is blocked or unblocked, if I try to send a message, I get "Could not send because [screenname] is not available."

Does blocking actually work? I just did some testing and tried to block some people and nothing happened.

that used to happen to me on 0.83 but not anymore..

dzhim
Harmless

Postby dzhim » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:28 am

Got it. She had to sign on with iChat to change the account's block/allow settings because Adium's block/unblock doesn't actually do anything.

Return to “Adium”