Localizations

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ses
Harmless

Localizations

Postby ses » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi, I live in Iceland, and after updating Adium it's suddenly in icelandic and I can't find a way to turn this annoying feature off, I'm bilingual and I much prefer to navigate programs in english since that is the language I'm used to using when in computers.

I'm actually quite annoyed that the language switched over completely without prompting me, the user, if I'd like it to. I'm annoyed to the point that I'd like to find the person responsible and see how they like it when someone suddenly changes their environment without them being asked about it ;)

Please, there must be a way of switching the language back without changing some basic configuration settings of my system.

Best regards,
Steinn E. Sigurðarson

szilard
Latté

Postby szilard » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:25 pm

In the Finder "Get info" on Adium expand, "languages" and un-tick the ones you don't want :D

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:45 pm

You're system has to be set to icelandic somewhere, otherwise it would have stayed english.

ses
Harmless

Postby ses » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Thank you for your replies, yes my system is set to icelandic but only in order for the icelandic keyboard layout to be the default one, the basic system itself is in english, and I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

Hmm.. icelandic is "greyed out", and I can't unselected it from the languages list in "get info"..

da_baum
Frappa

Postby da_baum » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:30 pm

ses wrote:Hmm.. icelandic is "greyed out", and I can't unselected it from the languages list in "get info"..

I believe that is because Icelandic is your system language?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Ya, that's why. Set your system to another localization, log out and back in, and then disable icelandic by getting info on adium, and unchecking icelandic. You will need to do this with each release of adium.

This is how localizations work from what I can tell.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Localizations

Postby evands » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:41 pm

ses wrote:I'm actually quite annoyed that the language switched over completely without prompting me, the user, if I'd like it to. I'm annoyed to the point that I'd like to find the person responsible and see how they like it when someone suddenly changes their environment without them being asked about it ;)

It's a completely ridiculous expectation that a program prompt you as to whether you want it to run in your native language when a localization is available.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

ses
Harmless

Postby ses » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:46 pm

No I think it's a very reasonable expectation, you see I want icelandic to be the default keyboard layout, and in order to get that I have to have my system set to icelandic, however I do not have installed the icelandic localization package for the base system.

I assure you I am not the only icelandic person that thinks like this, my friends actually make fun of my Adium now, them not being Mac users.

There are still disputes over most of the icelandic words being used for various computer-centric terms, and most veteran computer users in iceland, such as myself, are used to the english words, and being forced to use the icelandic ones is in my opinion uncomfortable since I have trouble understanding what many of them mean in this context.

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:29 pm

It is not a reasonable expectation.

The purpose of the "Languages" list in System Preferences is to determine which languages to use for menus and dialogs in your applications. Apple even states this right next to the list - "Drag the languages into the order you prefer for use in application menus, dialogs, and sorting."

Adium didn't "Change your environment" without asking. Your environment is Icelandic, and Adium is simply honoring your environment settings like every other localized application.

If you have a problem, it's with Apple not providing a separate setting for keyboard layout, or with keyboard layout not being remembered between applications.

To put it another way, if we implemented a dialog and preference to "Ignore my localization" in Adium, what's going to happen for the next icelandic localized application you download? Will you visit their forums and request a dialog and preference be added as well? What about the for the applications after that?

I hope you can see that Adium is not at fault here in any way.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Try this:

Go to System Prefs/International/Input Menu

Check DVorak, U.S., U.S. Extended and Icelandic.

Make sure Show input menu in menu bar is checked.

A flag of some sort should show up in your menu bar. Select a different input than what is set.

Now go to System Prefs/International/Language and drag English to the top.

Log out and back in. See if everything is in english/whatever language you selected for input. Input selection is on the fly I believe, whereas language is on login/log out.

Githon
Frappa

Postby Githon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:21 pm

ses wrote:No I think it's a very reasonable expectation

My system is set to English. It'd be absurd if Adium asked me if I wanted to run it in Icelandic when I launched it. It'd be absurd if Safari wanted to know if I wanted it in Spanish.

If I were Japanese, and my system were thusly set to Japanese, it'd be downright ridiculous if programs didn't default to Japanese, and instead wanted to make sure I didn't want to run it in Italian or maybe Ye Olde English.

ses
Harmless

Postby ses » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:55 am

I'm not saying Adium should ask for all the different languages, I'm just saying that I think it's annoying that a program should switch to another language when I upgrade it, simply because now a localization is available that wasn't there before.

I'm not saying this is a problem with Adium, your explanations have shown that this clearly is the logical way of working within this particular operating system, however I wouldn't mind a way of choosing which language it's running in, from within Adium.

No need to get riled up, yes I am icelandic, that does not mean I like my programs to run in icelandic, and if you were icelandic as well you would probably know well why.

No need to further this discussion, I'm very satisfied with your responses and please don't take my comments as derogatory towards your work. :)

Edit: I imagine my "problem" will be fixed by dragging english to the top of the preferred languages list, that is the solution to my dilemma, and it is obviously OS related, so I'm sorry to have wasted your time, thanks for your help.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:58 am

Did you try what I suggested with the input preferences?

ses
Harmless

Postby ses » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:41 am

I've done it, and I need to restart (or log out and back in..) to find out it worked. Restarting is not something I'm very bothered with, and I'll find out the next time I restart if it's working, if not I'll just have to live with my mothertongue in Adium..

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Adium”