25 characters

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
yingisy
Harmless
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:33 am

25 characters

Postby yingisy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:36 am

25 characters
Last edited by yingisy on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wengero
Crema
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:37 am
Contact:

Postby Wengero » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:12 am

are you using 10.4, 10.3 or 10.2?
in 10.4 you can control click a dock icon and select remove from dock so the icon wont even show up when the app is open, then you can switch to adium with command tab

Diatribe
Frappa
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:34 pm

Postby Diatribe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:42 am

Wengero wrote:are you using 10.4, 10.3 or 10.2?
in 10.4 you can control click a dock icon and select remove from dock so the icon wont even show up when the app is open, then you can switch to adium with command tab


Huh??? That'd be news to me.

User avatar
djmori
Mocha
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Contact:

Postby djmori » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Wengero wrote:are you using 10.4, 10.3 or 10.2?
in 10.4 you can control click a dock icon and select remove from dock so the icon wont even show up when the app is open, then you can switch to adium with command tab


Umm u sure that really works???
I use a little app called "dockless" for that propuse

User avatar
TheSilverFox06
Grandé
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Wengero wrote:are you using 10.4, 10.3 or 10.2?
in 10.4 you can control click a dock icon and select remove from dock so the icon wont even show up when the app is open, then you can switch to adium with command tab


Actually, that only works with Dashboard. Choosing "remove from dock" just removes the icon from the dock. It'll still appear there when you open the application just like everything else.

Anyway, to change the icon, you'll have to make a custom dock icon pack that always stays the same, using an icon from QT or something (like you said).

And if you want my advice, I'd think carefully about your decision to do this in the first place ;)

User avatar
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 4642
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:06 am
Contact:

Postby The_Tick » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:41 pm

Out of curiosity, why did your Dad ban you from msn?

User avatar
da_baum
Frappa
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:02 pm
Contact:

Postby da_baum » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:44 pm

TheSilverFox06 wrote:And if you want my advice, I'd think carefully about your decision to do this in the first place ;)


Yeah...very carefully. You get caught, you get in bigger trouble. You don't want that, do you? Big trouble=bad, bad=not good, not good=um... I'm hungry.

User avatar
twopeak
Crema
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:53 pm
Location: Flanders - Belgium

Postby twopeak » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:41 pm

I'll help the deprived teen:

you'd need to make an icon pack for that. You can hide it when it's offline by copying the icon of any application (get info on the file or application and copy the small icon and paste it in the small icon of adium)

You could download an iconpack from the adiumextras (see http://www.adiumx.com for the extras site). You'll see that there are many iconpacks, many of them don't look like a chatprogram.
If your dad's not stupid, then make an iconpack yourself (see track.adiumx.com) with everytime the same icon for every state.

To stop the sounds, go to the adium preferences, go to the "events" tab and change the sound set to none.
Then in the rest of the events preferences, remove all actions. This will make sure you have nothing happening.

Now I think you owe us the answer why your dad banned you from msn!

User avatar
iindigo
Harmless
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:15 am
Contact:

Postby iindigo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:27 am

The_Tick wrote:Out of curiosity, why did your Dad ban you from msn?


I'm guessing it's nothing more than a paranoid dad from the previous generation - (60s or 70s) a generation when the farthest communication was done over the phone just a few houses away :roll: I've seen many parents get all paranoid about their kids talking to people in other cities, states, or even countries. I really don't get it, it's just like a much cooler, much more instant version of pen pals...

User avatar
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 4642
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:06 am
Contact:

Postby The_Tick » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:29 am

iindigo wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Out of curiosity, why did your Dad ban you from msn?


I'm guessing it's nothing more than a paranoid dad from the previous generation - (60s or 70s) a generation when the farthest communication was done over the phone just a few houses away :roll: I've seen many parents get all paranoid about their kids talking to people in other cities, states, or even countries. I really don't get it, it's just like a much cooler, much more instant version of pen pals...


And with good reason, ever seen those folks arrested for "meeting" 12 year olds?

User avatar
iindigo
Harmless
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:15 am
Contact:

Postby iindigo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:34 am

The_Tick wrote:
iindigo wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Out of curiosity, why did your Dad ban you from msn?


I'm guessing it's nothing more than a paranoid dad from the previous generation - (60s or 70s) a generation when the farthest communication was done over the phone just a few houses away :roll: I've seen many parents get all paranoid about their kids talking to people in other cities, states, or even countries. I really don't get it, it's just like a much cooler, much more instant version of pen pals...


And with good reason, ever seen those folks arrested for "meeting" 12 year olds?


Yes, I understand that, but in reality the number of those people on the net is very small compared to the number of good-natured people. Parents make it out as if the entire internet was a enormous community of rapists and nutcases, which certainly isn't the case. As an example, I've been on the internet since 1996 and have yet to meet a person like that.

I think these parents are afraid of their kids being on the internet simple because they don't know what's on it themselves. People always fear the unknown.

User avatar
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 4642
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:06 am
Contact:

Postby The_Tick » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:39 am

iindigo wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
iindigo wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Out of curiosity, why did your Dad ban you from msn?


I'm guessing it's nothing more than a paranoid dad from the previous generation - (60s or 70s) a generation when the farthest communication was done over the phone just a few houses away :roll: I've seen many parents get all paranoid about their kids talking to people in other cities, states, or even countries. I really don't get it, it's just like a much cooler, much more instant version of pen pals...


And with good reason, ever seen those folks arrested for "meeting" 12 year olds?


Yes, I understand that, but in reality the number of those people on the net is very small compared to the number of good-natured people. Parents make it out as if the entire internet was a enormous community of rapists and nutcases, which certainly isn't the case. As an example, I've been on the internet since 1996 and have yet to meet a person like that.

I think these parents are afraid of their kids being on the internet simple because they don't know what's on it themselves. People always fear the unknown.



The nutcases part is true ;)

User avatar
da_baum
Frappa
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:02 pm
Contact:

Postby da_baum » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:29 am

The_Tick wrote:The nutcases part is true ;)


Yeah, just look at us people here! :D

User avatar
evands
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 3152
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:55 pm
Location: Decatur, GA
Contact:

Postby evands » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:08 am

You might want to rename the Adium app to something else ("Quick Time" if you give the QuickTime icon, for example) so your dad doesn't google the name of this unknown app he sees and then comes up with an IM client. Of course, if he's scared of the 'net he probably wouldn't... :)
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

User avatar
MacMom
Crema
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 pm

Postby MacMom » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 am

Parents from the 60's and the 70's aren't on the internet? :shock:

I must be older than I thought. :roll: :P

(Or maybe I'm younger than I thought. ;))

User avatar
da_baum
Frappa
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:02 pm
Contact:

Postby da_baum » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:23 am

MacMom wrote:Parents from the 60's and the 70's aren't on the internet? :shock:

I must be older than I thought. :roll: :P

(Or maybe I'm younger than I thought. ;))


Young at heart, maybe? :)

User avatar
MacMom
Crema
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 pm

Postby MacMom » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:32 am

Maybe. :)

Although I know lots of parents (and other adults) from the 60's, 70's and prior to that who are on the internet. :)

User avatar
evands
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 3152
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:55 pm
Location: Decatur, GA
Contact:

Postby evands » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:29 am

My grandfather, who gave me my first two computers and is the primary reason I know what I know and love what I love about them, is a grandparent from the 20's and still going strong, both in general and with the Internet.

Image
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

User avatar
Githon
Frappa
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:03 am

Postby Githon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:29 am

iindigo wrote:I'm guessing it's nothing more than a paranoid dad from the previous generation - (60s or 70s) a generation when the farthest communication was done over the phone just a few houses away :roll:


Hell, my dad was older than that, and he was always the one bringing home the computers and internet services and faster internet services.

Am I the only one that genuinely "lol'd" at the "naw, most people on the internet are nice!" comment?

Did your dad ban you from ALL IM protocols, or just MSN? For all you know, he actually has a damn good reason. Like he got a discount on the computer because it was designed to explode after 100 hours on MSN and you had logged 99. Something like that.

You don't want hard disk fragments in your trachea, do you?

User avatar
adm58
Muffin
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:57 am
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Postby adm58 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:53 pm

evands wrote:Image


That's the best picture ever! Grandpas are awesome.


Return to “Adium”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]