Paying for features: how much for contact circles?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
waffffffle
Muffin

Paying for features: how much for contact circles?

Postby waffffffle » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:14 am

The practice of paying for features in open source projects is a long-standing tradition. Now that I am out of college and make a decent living wage I can now ask the Adium community, how much will contact circles cost? And by that I mean, how much will I have to pay a developer or group of developers in money or other goods (beer, etc) to implement the feature in a scalable, modular fashion so that it will continue to function (whether officially part of the Adium source or a third-party plugin) for the foreseeable future?

Name your price. I've got plenty of beer to spare, and even some cash. Beyond that I also have some connections that can make other things happen as well. . .

desicanuk
Muffin

Postby desicanuk » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 am

What are contact circles?

Arenzera
Crema

Re: Paying for features: how much for contact circles?

Postby Arenzera » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:39 am

waffffffle wrote:Name your price.

Please describe your feature request. And it's probably best to describe it on trac.adiumx.com. Particularly with detail and if possible screen shots from other applications that implement such a behaviour.

Kiel :-)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:48 am

I don't see them going in the default wafffles, you'll probably be looking at a third party plugin that could break any time.

And I'd charge a grand.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:49 am

IIRC contact circles were circles on the contact list with idle time inside. You can already have the contact list display idle times, though, so I don't quite see what would be gained.

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:51 am

!!!!!!!!!!

Arenzera
Crema

Postby Arenzera » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:07 am

Catfish_Man wrote:IIRC contact circles were circles on the contact list with idle time inside. You can already have the contact list display idle times, though, so I don't quite see what would be gained.

Not to mention idle time is shown in tooltips.

Kiel :-)

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:08 am

This won't get rolled into Adium itself; I am of the opinion that status circles don't add anything that current functionality doesn't offer. I know, of course, that waffffffle feels differently, and that's fine.

I do consulting at $500 per day. I believe that one 8-hour day of work could yield an acceptable status circles implementation in the form of a plugin. Let me know if you're interested.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

waffffffle
Muffin

Postby waffffffle » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Thanks for the responses. For those of you are unfamiliar, contact circles, or status circles, are circles in the contact list that are shown next to each contact's name. The feature was in Adium 1 and was part of the Adium 2/AdiumX/Adium 0.X trunk at some point but was removed. The reasoning that was given is that they were poorly coded and needed work and that the features are not necessary since the functionality can be recreated without contact circles.

The beauty of contact circles are their ability to display more information in less space. Contact circles can be colored a different color for each buddy's status (customizable) and if I remember correctly, independent colors can be set for the circle's outline and fill color. The circle is vector-based so it scales nicely with any size font.

The one key feature on top of this is the ability to display a contact's idle time within the contact circle. This means that without having to mouse-over your contact list you can quickly glance over and see how long people have been idle. Idle times are all aligned in one column so if you combine this with sorting contacts by idle time (and not status) it makes it very easy to compare the idle times of users, which I found to be one of my favorite key uses of Adium 1.6. There is currently no such equivalent in Adium.

I wanted to take a screenshot of Adium 1.6 but I can't get it to connect any more. Changing the TOC server causes it to crash. This is actually the first time I've launched it in years so I'm not sure if it even works anymore.

As far as whether or not it will be a plugin or part of the official Adium source, I would prefer it be official for the following reasons:
- It will continue to work in future versions of Adium
- It can take advantage of future and current Adium features, such as swapping out the contact circle for the flashing speech bubble icon or the pen writing icon temporarily.
- More people will come to know the power of contact circles and will allow Adium to have another unique feature in the world of chat

I want to stress that I am not one of those ancient Mac users that can't let go of features or UI concepts. In fact, I am usually the first to embrace new UI paradigms, however in this one case I have found that there has been no suitable replacement for this feature. I would be more than willing to entertain a discussion on how to re-create this functionality in an alternate fashion.

Tick's offer is a bit high and I am not sure how serious he is. evands' offer is as well, but I'll IM you to discuss. To everyone else, including Adam, the inventor of this powerful feature, please contact me if you're interested. Aside from just money (of which I have a little), I have resources and connections that may be valuable to Mac fans and developers.

Kepi
Latté

Postby Kepi » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:29 pm

waffffffle wrote:Tick's offer is a bit high and I am not sure how serious he is. evands' offer is as well

Not to stray too far off-topic, but evands' offer is actually quite a steal when it comes to hiring a consultant.
- Jeff

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:49 pm

Kepi wrote:
waffffffle wrote:Tick's offer is a bit high and I am not sure how serious he is. evands' offer is as well

Not to stray too far off-topic, but evands' offer is actually quite a steal when it comes to hiring a consultant.

Tick, however, was not being serious.

Githon
Frappa

Postby Githon » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:44 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
Kepi wrote:

True, he's just lowballing you so he can suck you in before taking on the hidden fees.

waffffffle
Muffin

Postby waffffffle » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:16 am

I'm not saying that the price isn't worth the work. I'm saying it's high for what I can currently afford. That's why I am hoping to negotiate. evands will be hearing from me.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:34 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
Kepi wrote:

Yes, I was.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:38 am

waffffffle wrote:I want to stress that I am not one of those ancient Mac users that can't let go of features or UI concepts.

Just as a note, this entire thread is a contradiction to this sentence.

Spartan
Frappa

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:22 am

The_Tick wrote:Just as a note, this entire thread is a contradiction to this sentence.

If he pays good money for it, who cares?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:16 am

Spartan wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Just as a note, this entire thread is a contradiction to this sentence.

If he pays good money for it, who cares?

Oh, I don't disagree, but I did find it somewhat humerous

Spartan
Frappa

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:34 am

The_Tick wrote:Oh, I don't disagree, but I did find it somewhat humerous

Indeed, but we do all have our quirks. If those circles are what he wants, I wish him luck with getting them.

snarfer
Frappa

Postby snarfer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:38 pm

This may sound really stupid, but:
What is going on?

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:54 pm

snarfer wrote:This may sound really stupid, but:
What is going on?

waffffffle wants a feature (contact circles) that used to exist in Adium 1.x primarily to be returned to Adium X. His goals are for it to always work and behave as it used to. He wants to know how much money or other items it will cost to have them re-created. The discussion is on price, merits/motivation of request, how it should be added to Adium, etc.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Return to “Adium”