Font handling when switching on the fly

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Xeo
Harmless

Font handling when switching on the fly

Postby Xeo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:11 am

I use Japanese input quite often and whenever I switch to it, the font changes to a font which supports Japanese input. This is normal behavior with Mac OS X. However, this permanently switches the font for that window for the rest of the session. If I close the window and reopen it, I get my old font back.

iChat handles it a little different. Each time you start typing a message, it uses your default font. If you switch to Japanese, which switches the font, it is only changed for the rest of that message. When you hit enter and start typing again, you are back to your old font. Also, if you switch fonts and then delete all the characters back to the first line, the old font will come back.

It is mostly just annoying for me because the font that is used when typing Japanese does not support italics. So I cannot italicize anything unless I close the window and reopen it.

Thoughts?

Xeo
Harmless

Postby Xeo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:43 am

Is this preferred? Or do people not care? Or what? To me it's very annoying. I wish OS X would just switch the font back to where it was after you drop out of kotoeri, but doesn't. The same thing happens in TextEdit, for example. It's annoying there too, but after every message in iChat, it goes back to the user-selected font, and this would be preferred for me as well.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:39 am

Yeah, it's a really obnoxious OS X bug which has been reported but unfixed.

iChat's way of handling the font may be better for someone who switches between Japanese and English consistently, but overall it's really annoying - if you set your font for a conversation, you probably don't want to have to re-set it every time you send a message.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Xeo
Harmless

Postby Xeo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:16 am

How do you set the font for a message? All I see are options to bold, italicize, or underline. Or is that what you mean? That someone might want to just start talking in bold their entire message?

carlj7
Frappa

Postby carlj7 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:22 pm

Press CMD + T to bring up the font panel and set your font that way. Or under the Format menu, select show fonts. Anyhow, I feel your pain, every time I use Japanese I have to immediately follow up by pressing CMD + T and selecting "Trebuchet MS" to go back to having use of italics…

rosefox
Harmless

Postby rosefox » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:53 pm

carlj7 wrote:Press CMD + T to bring up the font panel and set your font that way. Or under the Format menu, select show fonts.

I've done both of these, but neither one is working for me; whenever I select Palatino and start to type, it immediately goes back to Helvetica. I can't even select text I've already typed and make it display in Palatino, and I can't find anywhere to change my default font. I'm using Adium 0.72 under OS 10.3.5. Please help!
Ask me about my vow of silence.

carlj7
Frappa

Postby carlj7 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:17 am

rosefox wrote:I've done both of these, but neither one is working for me; whenever I select Palatino and start to type, it immediately goes back to Helvetica. I can't even select text I've already typed and make it display in Palatino, and I can't find anywhere to change my default font. I'm using Adium 0.72 under OS 10.3.5. Please help!

Hmm, I once had a problem in an old version of Adium where the font I selected wouldn't show up in the input box but would show up after I sent it. Have you tried sending messages to yourself to see what font comes out?

caramelo
Harmless

Postby caramelo » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:37 am

Seen this thread? :)

Maybe you need to...

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Default Background Color</key>
   <string>255,255,255</string>
   <key>Default Font</key>
   <string>Garamond,12</string>
   <key>Default Text Color</key>
   <string>0,0,0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Formatting.plist
~ Available pixel-artist, digital illustrator and english-spanish translator ~

zaudragon
Growl Team

Postby zaudragon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:40 am

caramelo wrote:Seen this thread? :)

Maybe you need to...

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Default Font</key>
   <string>0,0,0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

You forgot to give credit to me :D

But nice, I got quoted!
Blog | X(tras)
Communists code without classes.

caramelo
Harmless

Postby caramelo » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:49 am

:oops: Sorry!

But you and me should rather credit this item developer :P This is an old issue I was looking for as I am installing Adium on a new hard disk.

Anyway I wrote it just for lazy users and I put a link to original thread ;) But I can do it better still :)

zaudragon

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Default Font</key>
   <string>0,0,0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Greetings from Spain! :)
~ Available pixel-artist, digital illustrator and english-spanish translator ~

zaudragon
Growl Team

Postby zaudragon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:13 am

yeah, whoever made this file in the first place deserves credit!
Blog | X(tras)

Communists code without classes.

Return to “Adium”