are tabs the best/only way?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Really like the top 2 screenshoots mail/adium, maybe above the current conversations there could be the buddy library like in the screen shoots below it.

Stick the emotions in the typing area and were away.

andru_911
Frappa

Postby andru_911 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:07 pm

wow tick those look awesome!
personally i hardly ever use the contact list either...
i would however highly enjoy the contact pic of the contact i'm chatting with to appear in some fashion in the window, perhaps like the original comps ala itunes?
i am kinda sad these will probably never be implemented though

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:02 pm

David Munch wrote:Adium X Pro.. *Shudders*

I didn't say Adium X Pro, just Adium Pro.

DcBob

Postby DcBob » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

i kind of like the itunes-looking-thingy instead of tabs idea but some of us are way too fond of the tabs... i love tabs. Although what i would want to see is the option to choose where the tabs are located... because if you got many conversations going (i'm not very popular so that doesn't happen very often for me tho) it gets kinda cluttered and hard to switch and stuff... so if we could choose to put the tabs on the left or right side then it would make things a lot easier.

Although, i would like to see this itunes-looking-thingy but i would rather want to have it as an option (or set as a default, but the tabs would still be an option)

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Those are really nice Tick! (the safari-bookmark style buddy managment is really cool!)

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:03 pm

I like those, too, Tick.

Though I have to say I do use the buddy list.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm

MacMom wrote:I like those, too, Tick.

Though I have to say I do use the buddy list.

I was thinking that maybe a drag out-in contact list (like you can sepparate conversation windows right know) would be nice!

DragonQueen
Harmless

Postby DragonQueen » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 pm

I like the mockups as well, Tick... I use the buddy list a lot, though I probably wouldn't if there was something like your idea of having a few friends who you know the status of all the time.

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm

The_Tick wrote:
David Munch wrote:Adium X Pro.. *Shudders*

I didn't say Adium X Pro, just Adium Pro.

Really is the same, huh?

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:43 pm

DragonQueen wrote:I like the mockups as well, Tick... I use the buddy list a lot, though I probably wouldn't if there was something like your idea of having a few friends who you know the status of all the time.

I would still use the buddy list. Sometimes, when I am bored, I scan my buddylist to see who's online to chat with. ;)
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Wengero
Crema

Postby Wengero » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:58 pm

if this were to happen maybe it could be an option in general called One Window Mode, this could also be turned on during the (not sure if it exists yet) first run wizard thingy

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:35 pm

Wengero wrote:if this were to happen maybe it could be an option in general called One Window Mode, this could also be turned on during the (not sure if it exists yet) first run wizard thingy

This would be cool. It'd be there for the people who want "one window mode", and it could be turned off for those that like the tried and true IM setup (Buddy List, Message Window, etc).
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:53 pm

hollerz wrote:yeah i thought the text bar looked a bit weird on its own at the bottom. added a bar same size as the iLife apps at the bottom with conversations engaged and date/time of last event that happened...

This is almost exactly what I'm after. Tabs are prettier than a bog standard drawer but are confusing if you're chatting to quite a few contacts.

Rich::

Ethion
Crema

Postby Ethion » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Make groups on the go ? O.o

Ders
Latté

Postby Ders » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 pm

Isn't this a little bit similar to the split window mode that Adium had forever ago? I think I remember the devs saying that sort of thing wasn't coming back.

axcess99
Muffin

Postby axcess99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 am

the second mockup looks a bit better than the first.

It is an interesting layout. I would be interested in trying something like that out. However my intuition is that the sidebar layout would be wastefull for few (2 or 3) convos but good if you usually have 5+ open. Compare this too tabs, which have an almost reversed pro-con behavior; good for few, bad for many.

I do not want a single-window mode. I always want my contact list to be separate.

I do fine the eject icon very humorous and appropriate though. I "eject" someone from the conversation ::watches them launch violently off into space....::, or interpret it as just disconnecting like from servers. A good analogy either way.

Wengero
Crema

Postby Wengero » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:27 am

oooo ooooo i got it... if you put the whole contact list in the sidebar and you want to remove someone then you could drag the contact out of the sidebar to delete them from your contact list, which would result in a... POOF(the dock icon poof :D)

Tipo 61
Grandé

Postby Tipo 61 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:20 am

Contact-Dock!!!!!!!!!1!1!1!1oneone :lol:

thejokell
Frappa

Postby thejokell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 am

The_Tick wrote:Out of this whole thing, these are my favorites:

I'd pay to see development take a turn in this direction.

Seriously pay.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:13 am

MacMom wrote:
DragonQueen wrote:I like the mockups as well, Tick... I use the buddy list a lot, though I probably wouldn't if there was something like your idea of having a few friends who you know the status of all the time.

I would still use the buddy list. Sometimes, when I am bored, I scan my buddylist to see who's online to chat with. ;)

And what would stop you from using the Buddies Pane to do the same thing?

Return to “Adium”