are tabs the best/only way?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
andru_911
Frappa

Postby andru_911 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:20 am

i'd definitely contribute money to the project too...
i'd love to see adium break away from not only traditional im'ing but all other clients' current gui's...
the buddy pane is genius, i hope it gets implemented in some way...
if the buddy icon window ala itunes and an easy way to change screen names and user pics were implemented into the toolbar or something, it would be the greatest thing ever!

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 am

andru_911 wrote:i'd definitely contribute money to the project too...
i'd love to see adium break away from not only traditional im'ing but all other clients' current gui's...
the buddy pane is genius, i hope it gets implemented in some way...
if the buddy icon window ala itunes and an easy way to change screen names and user pics were implemented into the toolbar or something, it would be the greatest thing ever!

ditto. oh and it would be a a very nice donation $$$
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:50 am

I do so enjoy motivation by implied donation :roll:

Donations are donations... not payments for a requested feature. If you want a feature coded and it won't be done voluntarily, follow waffffle's lead and get estimates on a developer's time to do so.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

da_baum
Frappa

Postby da_baum » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 am

Um...I'll throw in a small pepperoni pizza...how's that sound? I really don't care what happens. as long as I don't have to switch back to multiple programs and can use my precious Adium, and as long as it's still nice and purty.

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:18 am

i like the buddy pane AND the current contact list. The only problem i see with the buddy pane is when you aren't talking to anyone (eg when you are invisible) you have a largish window open with a large unused space. Maybe you could hide the conversation area when no conversations are open?

Little_Tiger
Frappa

Postby Little_Tiger » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:43 am

The_Tick wrote:
MacMom wrote:
DragonQueen wrote:I like the mockups as well, Tick... I use the buddy list a lot, though I probably wouldn't if there was something like your idea of having a few friends who you know the status of all the time.

I would still use the buddy list. Sometimes, when I am bored, I scan my buddylist to see who's online to chat with. ;)

And what would stop you from using the Buddies Pane to do the same thing?

Here is an idea, that might be less of coding...
A dockable contactlist (on the sides of the screen).with AUTO hide...and when mouse hover at the edge it shows up. That saves time on "getting the adium contactlist" infront.
On windows, Only the program trillian, has this feature, man I can't live without it. Now I make every window smaller so I can keep my contactlist in sight.

thanks
-=LT=-

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:31 am

Dockable cl is in 1.0

In the mockups I posted, the Buddies Pane is the replacement for the contact list. Or at least I think it was, been a while.

michael
Crema

Postby michael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 pm

The_Tick wrote:Out of this whole thing, these are my favorites:

http://brok3n.org/rawr/Old/BuddiesPane.png
http://brok3n.org/rawr/Old/MessagePane.png

Those are absolutly fantastic, I think it would be great to see Adium break away from the traditional IM mould, and if those screenshots ever made it into the code of Adium it would be incredible. Will it never happen? Are the statistical chances of scrapping the buddy lists and introducing something like these mockups actually zero? Or just not gonna happen in the forseable future...?
This is our decision, to live fast and die young.

ofri
Growl Team

Postby ofri » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:35 pm

The_Tick wrote:These are mockups, are not coded, and will probably never be coded.

Out of this whole thing, these are my favorites:

In theory, using UKDistributedView and our AIListCell subclasses, it should be pretty simple to make the contacts area... :wink:

Now that I look closer I see that this also uses tabs so we have the same problem again :-P
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
--Albert Einstein

http://www.dpompa.com

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:03 pm

The_Tick wrote:
MacMom wrote:
DragonQueen wrote:I like the mockups as well, Tick... I use the buddy list a lot, though I probably wouldn't if there was something like your idea of having a few friends who you know the status of all the time.

I would still use the buddy list. Sometimes, when I am bored, I scan my buddylist to see who's online to chat with. ;)

And what would stop you from using the Buddies Pane to do the same thing?

*looks at screen shots again*

You're right, I could use the Buddies Pane for that. :)

That's what I get for reading too fast. ;)
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

nanovivid
Frappa

Postby nanovivid » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Just a "me too" for how amazing these are. It's a totally different way of dealing with IM and I'd love to see it happen.

Diatribe
Frappa

Postby Diatribe » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Am I the only one not liking these? :?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a fresh idea and all but I love my contact list and message window separate.

Tipo 61
Grandé

Postby Tipo 61 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:06 pm

The_Tick wrote:About that time we started doing mockups too. Eventually we ended up with the following, in no specific order. These are mockups, are not coded, and will probably never be coded.

I don't like it either; I like having my list in one spot, where I can always check it. Not in the same window as my message window, which tends to move around a lot as I open more apps and windows. So I am hoping Tick's statement, quoted above, is true.

michael
Crema

Postby michael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:16 pm

Conversation is an IRC client that has both a single window interface and a 'regular' mode, so although the look to conversation is very different to Adium (it's metal for a start..) it would seem possible that if tick's mockups were implemented it could be done so as a preference, keeping everyone happy.
This is our decision, to live fast and die young.

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

I love it a lot too...
I fully agree that contact list should get a refreshing idea.
I do need my contactlist, I use it to chat to ppl (I have max. 50 ppl on my list!) and most of all my online status (god I'd love a different status for different groups)

But this idea has everything: favorite ppl on top bar (whitey?), smart lists (I do hope so... and one is called "all contacts"), ...

I dislike the other mockups in general: they don't add new elements.

And maybe we could already think about implementation of video? GAIM might have it soon, it will take some time for the devs to code it into Adium, but we might have a fresh presentation that other clients don't have.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Diatribe wrote:Am I the only one not liking these? :?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a fresh idea and all but I love my contact list and message window separate.

I don't get why though, maybe you could expand on the reasoning here? Being less dependant upon the contact list should be a good thing.

Diatribe
Frappa

Postby Diatribe » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 pm

The_Tick wrote:
Diatribe wrote:Am I the only one not liking these? :?

I don't get why though, maybe you could expand on the reasoning here? Being less dependant upon the contact list should be a good thing.

I like being able to quickly spot who is online and what their away mesage, etc. is without the clutter of a big window like that. Also I can move them to independent areas when they a separate windows. The mockups look cluttered too (well not the one that strictly separates message part and list part but the others).
I can elaborate further if needed. :)

Edit: One more thing... one of the main reasons of me switching to Adium was that I could have the contact list as small and unobstrusive as possible while maintaining its information. And since it is more a p2p system of chats I think an approach like IRC where it is more a "room" doesn't work too well.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm not a fan of these mock-ups either.

It's just, it makes it feel more like an IRC client than an instant messaging app.

The chatting window, in my view, should be small, and minimalist. While the mock ups remove dependencies on a contact list, it is just too big for my taste, for an instant messaging app.

ofri
Growl Team

Postby ofri » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Here is my suggestion:
The main window of adium will be the buddies pane (from the picture above). It'll let you organize your contacts into groups/smart groups. When a contact in the buddies pane will be double clicked, a new conversation will start. Right clicking on a contact will display the contextual menu of the correct contact list. In the toolbar, there will be the same buttons in the correct contact list + status (like in the picture) and "New Buddies Group".

The buddies pane is big, and therefor people will not like to keep it all the time. Therefor, when a group is dragged out of the list in the pane, it'll turn into a small contact list (*thinking of the dashboard growing thing effect*) with all the features of the correct contact list (including docking). That way you can keep an eye on the contacts that are important to you and break them into small lists. For those who still like the old 'one big contact list' approach, they will simply drag the "All" group out of the buddies pane and will continue their life normally ignoring the buddies pane.

--Albert Einstein

ofri
Growl Team

Postby ofri » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Another thing is that the contacts area will be just like the Finder's icons view. You'll be able to position contacts (positions will be remembered per group) wherever you'd want (even one on the other), 'snap to grid' and reorganize them based on some criterion (This is exactly what UKDistributedView is made for).

--Albert Einstein

Return to “Adium”