are tabs the best/only way?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:55 pm

Diatribe wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
Diatribe wrote:Am I the only one not liking these? :?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a fresh idea and all but I love my contact list and message window separate.

I don't get why though, maybe you could expand on the reasoning here? Being less dependant upon the contact list should be a good thing.

I like being able to quickly spot who is online and what their away mesage, etc. is without the clutter of a big window like that. Also I can move them to independent areas when they a separate windows. The mockups look cluttered too (well not the one that strictly separates message part and list part but the others).
I can elaborate further if needed. :)

Edit: One more thing... one of the main reasons of me switching to Adium was that I could have the contact list as small and unobstrusive as possible while maintaining its information. And since it is more a p2p system of chats I think an approach like IRC where it is more a "room" doesn't work too well.

How many contacts do you need to keep track of like that all the time?

Where the hell are you people getting "it's an irc client" from?

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:00 pm

It reminds me of Colloquy at first glance (single window, panes, size of the window, etc..)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 pm

Oh ya, let me remind you all of something:

You can hide the sidebar.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 pm

MBHockey wrote:It reminds me of Colloquy at first glance (single window, panes, size of the window, etc..)

Wow. What a sad reason to think it's an irc client. Let me clue you in on something.

Operating systems allow multiple applications to look the same.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 pm

I didn't say it was an IRC client, i said it reminds me of one.

Why do you ask for people's opinions of a mock up only to inexplicably take such offense to criticism of it?

I do like the fact that the sidebar can be hidden.
Last edited by MBHockey on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:09 pm

MBHockey wrote:I didn't say it was an IRC client, i said it reminds me of one.

Why do you ask for people's opinions only to inexplicably take offense to a criticism of a mock up?

Because I never asked for opinions?

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Fair enough.

But it is a forum...i'm pretty sure you were expecting people to post their reactions/opinions following the mock up screens, even if you didn't explicitly say "Please post your opinions on the mockups"

Anyhow, I don't see this being very productive for spirit of the thread. I'll stop now.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 pm

MBHockey wrote:Fair enough.

But it is a forum...i'm pretty sure you were expecting people to post their reactions/opinions following the mock up screens, even if you didn't explicitly say "Please post your opinions on the mockups"

I don't see this being very productive for the thread. I'll stop now.

No, the only reason I posted it was to say that it had been considered. Then everyone started jumping onto it going "OH MY GOD I WANT".

Anyhow, no point in continuing this.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Understood. Anyhow, with the sidebar being able to collapse/hide, i definitely think it warrants some further consideration. I don't really use the contact list much (most of the time it's hidden).

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:35 pm

ofri wrote:Therefore, when a group is dragged out of the list in the pane, it'll turn into a small contact list (*thinking of the dashboard growing thing effect*) with all the features of the correct contact list (including docking).

Indeed, this was part of the direction I saw the current contact list moving in the context of the mockups -- you elucidated it well, I think.

I would go as far as to suggest that the traditional ("All") contact list be available initially... and if you close it, it stays closed (just as it does now), so anyone wanting to move into a unified window experience would perform a single click to do so (and a single key combination or menu item or drag to get it back).
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Ya, I think that would work pretty good as well, at least in theoretical usage.

The buddy bar would help in actually not keeping the cl around, along with the new cl hiding stuff.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:28 am

The bar I could see as handy. The list attached to window is bleh to me as it becomes huge [although yes, it could hidden, flame me not]

The icon thingie. It really sounds as if you are marrying yourself to the implementation of an existing idea/source (UKDistributedView) without a pressing need to use it. Ask yourself - do users really need to be able to group contacts like icons on a desktop ala the Finder? Does it enhance usability and muscle memory or simply play value?
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:29 am

bgannin wrote:The bar I could see as handy. The list attached to window is bleh to me as it becomes huge [although yes, it could hidden, flame me not]

Ya, I think that's the part I like the most
bgannin wrote:The icon thingie. It really sounds as if you are marrying yourself to the implementation of an existing idea/source (UKDistributedView) without a pressing need to use it. Ask yourself - do users really need to be able to group contacts like icons on a desktop ala the Finder? Does it enhance usability and muscle memory or simply play value?

heh, the mockup wasn't supposed to be like that. It's a way to view contacts, not really rearrange them.

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:43 am

im still lost on what a buddy bar is
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:54 am

Crypt wrote:im still lost on what a buddy bar is

Know where the bookmarks bar is in safari? Apply that location here, but think buddy bar.

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:07 am

evands wrote:
ofri wrote:Therefore, when a group is dragged out of the list in the pane, it'll turn into a small contact list (*thinking of the dashboard growing thing effect*) with all the features of the correct contact list (including docking).

Indeed, this was part of the direction I saw the current contact list moving in the context of the mockups -- you elucidated it well, I think.

I would go as far as to suggest that the traditional ("All") contact list be available initially... and if you close it, it stays closed (just as it does now), so anyone wanting to move into a unified window experience would perform a single click to do so (and a single key combination or menu item or drag to get it back).

That's just an incredible idea.

Damienoneill
Frappa

Postby Damienoneill » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:25 am

I really really really like seeing the direction this is going.

The bar would have to be able to be minimized as an option i think. So well as have to choice for tabs but this looks very very cool

I would like to know how it works? If one screen is the buddy list and the other is the conversation how do you flick between the two?

I love the idea of the contacts at the top in folders (ala safari bookmarks bar). but it would be better if you could hide offline contacts from that bar? In the screenshot Evans offline. It would be cool to hide that? So only favorite online contacts show?

I also spy a mail icon? Are we possibly looking at Adium being more linked to mail and address book? :D

Like the look of these mocks up. Although for the msn window i prefere the the previous example someone posted where you could have there icon?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:27 am

Damienoneill wrote:I would like to know how it works? If one screen is the buddy list and the other is the conversation how do you flick between the two?

The button is like safari's button.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:33 am

Damienoneill wrote:I love the idea of the contacts at the top in folders (ala safari bookmarks bar). but it would be better if you could hide offline contacts from that bar? In the screenshot Evans offline. It would be cool to hide that? So only favorite online contacts show?

I also spy a mail icon? Are we possibly looking at Adium being more linked to mail and address book? :D

Like the look of these mocks up. Although for the msn window i prefere the the previous example someone posted where you could have there icon?

Remember, these are mockups. Most of the time when you make a mockup, you screenshot gui elements from other apps to get your point across faster.

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:00 am

I Understand the idea of the button a-la safari-bookmark on the top right, but what exactly is the rest of the bar for? (Where laura, Tick and evans buttons appear). I though that was like a quick-contac list.. but in that muckup it seems to be somethig else. Are those active conversations? Unique Buddies and buddy Groups just for that bar?
Last edited by djmori on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Adium”