are tabs the best/only way?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:04 am

djmori wrote:I Understand the idea of the button a-la safari-bookmark on the top right, but what exactly is the rest of the bar for? (Where laura, Tick and evans buttons appear). Are those active conversations? Buddy Groups?

Well, they keep track of contacts. Like the contact list.

LuxuryChair
Frappa

Postby LuxuryChair » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:08 am

Those three (Laura, the_tick, and evans) would be his three most favorites, ones that he wants to see at a glance. Other favorites, perhaps not requiring such immediate attention are in the folders. I assume that the dropdown menu when clicking on that folder would contain their name and status icon, just as the ones out of the folders are shown.

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:53 am

This implementation would certainly force me to rearrange my groups, but that's not a bad thing :)

Rita
Frappa

Postby Rita » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 am

Diatribe wrote:Am I the only one not liking these? :?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a fresh idea and all but I love my contact list and message window separate.

A little late, probably, but...ditto.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:11 am

LuxuryChair wrote:Those three (Laura, the_tick, and evans) would be his three most favorites, ones that he wants to see at a glance. Other favorites, perhaps not requiring such immediate attention are in the folders. I assume that the dropdown menu when clicking on that folder would contain their name and status icon, just as the ones out of the folders are shown.

You've got it. :D

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:32 am

Rita wrote:

Don't get me wrong I think it is a fresh idea and all but I love my contact list and message window separate.

A bit late for what...?

Diatribe
Frappa

Postby Diatribe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:46 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

I guess after all the people saying they like this. But I guess there also is a fair amount of people not liking it. As with many things...

Tick: about 10-15 contacts

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:49 am

Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

I guess after all the people saying they like this. But I guess there also is a fair amount of people not liking it. As with many things...

Are they *needed*, or would they work in the group on the buddy bar? Just a thought

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:01 am

The_Tick wrote:
Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

Are they *needed*, or would they work in the group on the buddy bar? Just a thought

That wont be a problem if a drag-out mini contact list (as ofri was talking about) is implemented.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:27 am

djmori wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

That wont be a problem if a drag-out mini contact list (as ofri was talking about) is implemented.

This is not why I'm asking.

Rita
Frappa

Postby Rita » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 am

Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

I guess after all the people saying they like this.

Exactly.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:44 am

Rita wrote:
Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

Exactly.

Since they are mockups that probably won't ever see the light of day in adium, doesn't matter I suppose :)

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:55 am

The_Tick wrote:
Rita wrote:
Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

Exactly.

Since they are mockups that probably won't ever see the light of day in adium, doesn't matter I suppose :)

hey it could happen. so what would you do if someone said they wanted to make that UI for adium, would you let them?
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am

Crypt wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
Rita wrote:
Diatribe wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:
Rita wrote:

A bit late for what...?

Exactly.

hey it could happen. so what would you do if someone said they wanted to make that UI for adium, would you let them?

Absolutely. There are some parts which might not be necesarrily mergable at present -- the mail.app-style toolbar for example -- but almost all of it would be welcomed if done well.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Damienoneill
Frappa

Postby Damienoneill » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 am

I really want a more mail look for Adium :( Those screens are great

Changes are good :D No one ever got anywhere but not innovating/take a chance/chaning.

Oh well, Roll on 1.0

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:23 pm

any UI designers in the house? :lol:
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!

Diatribe
Frappa

Postby Diatribe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:14 pm

Tick: The reason why I am actually opposed to this is because I am looking at this from a minimalist pov. I like a small contact list that blends into the background while still being able to read statuses and aways.
It would be possible in the big window but it would mean having a big window all the time (given that it wouldn't be collapsable to the bar) If it would be then there's only my gripe with the missing opacity as it wouldn't blend in that well.
Basically what I am also getting at is that I don't quite get the advantages of such a mockup over the current implementation. We were looking at the necessity of tabs weren't we? I don't see this problem solved well as we would basically have a bigger message window than we do now. :?:

Ethion
Crema

Postby Ethion » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Diatribe wrote:Tick: The reason why I am actually opposed to this is because I am looking at this from a minimalist pov. I like a small contact list that blends into the background while still being able to read statuses and aways.
It would be possible in the big window but it would mean having a big window all the time (given that it wouldn't be collapsable to the bar) If it would be then there's only my gripe with the missing opacity as it wouldn't blend in that well.
Basically what I am also getting at is that I don't quite get the advantages of such a mockup over the current implementation. We were looking at the necessity of tabs weren't we? I don't see this problem solved well as we would basically have a bigger message window than we do now. :?:

What about a window where you have the contact list on the left. In a big window, but when it's not active, it goes to transparent or what ever, and then hides the message view that is in the same window.

So for example. You see that you have a message from a contact. When you press the contact-list/adium it folds out into a full window. And there by you can either have it as tabs for multiple messages or on the left side. It would be like a Mail.app similarity, but it would still fold in and be minimal.

Although, I don't know if you would need coreimage to draw everything.
But what do you guys say ?

Diatribe
Frappa

Postby Diatribe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:42 pm

Ethion wrote:
Diatribe wrote:Tick: The reason why I am actually opposed to this is because I am looking at this from a minimalist pov. I like a small contact list that blends into the background while still being able to read statuses and aways.

What about a window where you have the contact list on the left. In a big window, but when it's not active, it goes to transparent or what ever, and then hides the message view that is in the same window.

So for example. You see that you have a message from a contact. When you press the contact-list/adium it folds out into a full window. And there by you can either have it as tabs for multiple messages or on the left side. It would be like a Mail.app similarity, but it would still fold in and be minimal.

Although, I don't know if you would need coreimage to draw everything.
But what do you guys say ?

I just don't see the point. The entire reason was to get rid of the tabs but this way we have something bigger... or is the new point to get rid of the contact list? Because I don't see any benefit over tabs using this option.

ofri
Growl Team

Postby ofri » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:48 pm

I think it became an idea of how to get rid of the contact list ;)
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
--Albert Einstein

http://www.dpompa.com

Return to “Adium”