Advanced contact management

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Lince
Harmless

Advanced contact management

Postby Lince » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:18 pm

I don't know if this idea would work for other account types apart from MSN, but oh well, there it goes: I was thinking about some way to make contact management easier, putting several kinds of lists together: "you blocked", "you added" and "added you" (¿and "blocked you"? maybe not as a part of the list but as a "check!" or something).

So, the thing would look like a big email list (maybe with their display names) in one column to the right, and several small columns to the left. The "you added" would have green checks on contacts you have on your list. The "you blocked" would have a red "forbidden" sign on contacts you have blocked. The "added you" would have a red X on contacts that don't have you on your list (but you have them), and their address could also show grayed out.

So, this way you could simply click on the "forbidden" sign (or empty space in that column) to quickly block / unblock someone, you could see who has deleted you (or who did forget to add you) and you could add people who has added you but you didn't, by clicking on the corresponding "you added" column's blank space.

I always hated that in MSN Messenger those three lists were separated. Does it sound like a nice idea?

(about the "blocked you" column idea... I know there are webpages out there where you can check if someone blocked you by checking the MSN servers or something like that... the idea would be that by clicking on that column Adium would check if that contact is online and maybe show... I don't know... a red exclamation mark?)

Well, what do you think? Does it sound like a good contact management tool?

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm

That sounds like a cool idea, it would be helpful.

There is a block list editor in Adium 1.0 I believe, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to add this extra info?

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't know that libgaim supports all those features, I'm fairly sure [to virtually certain, actually] not all the protocols do so this uber-list will need to broaden/limit its scope to all protocols in the context of Adium.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Return to “Adium”