When Adium gets cut off its behaviour isn't brilliant

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
df0notfound
Latté

When Adium gets cut off its behaviour isn't brilliant

Postby df0notfound » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Something I really liked about the early version of Adium before the massive rewrite was that when your internet connection is dropped it basically got back on as soon as it could.
However now I'm finding Adiums behaviour closer to MSN where it just sits there bouncing and puts up a message box behind all my windows telling me it can't find the server.
I think it would be better if it posted up a sticky growl that it can't find the server, and just sat there trying to get on instead of completely freezing till I told it to get back to doing its job.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: When Adium gets cut off its behaviour isn't brilliant

Postby evands » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:17 pm

df0notfound wrote:Something I really liked about the early version of Adium before the massive rewrite was that when your internet connection is dropped it basically got back on as soon as it could.

That's still what it does. What version are you running?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

prometheas
Harmless

Postby prometheas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 pm

evands wrote:
df0notfound wrote:Something I really liked about the early version of Adium before the massive rewrite was that when your internet connection is dropped it basically got back on as soon as it could.

Actually, sorta really doesn't... at least, not in my experience. I'm running 0.89 ... though reconnection has been an issue for quite some time... except, I must note that Yahoo and MSN do reconnect straight away. Oscar-based services, as well as GTalk do not, however.

Quitting and relaunching adium is the only solution that will get me back on (to be clear, using the Status menu alone will do nothing to reconnect me to the mentioned services).

Anyone else having such problems?

Some relevant factors may be my always being behind a firewall (either Linksys or Airport) wherever I go.

Spartan
Frappa

Postby Spartan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:00 am

I have a similar problem with this. My router on occasion will reset my wireless, causing me to be disconnected from AIM and Gtalk. Gtalk actually will disconnect/reconnect almost right away, but if it weren't for that, I would never know I had been disconnected. My AIM accounts in Adium keep sending messages as if I were connected, but no one ever receives them (since I am not connected). After maybe ten or fifteen minutes, the AIM accounts will finally disconnect and reconnect (unless of course I reopen Adium myself to do this having been warned by Gtalk).

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:43 am

Spartan wrote:My AIM accounts in Adium keep sending messages as if I were connected, but no one ever receives them (since I am not connected). After maybe ten or fifteen minutes, the AIM accounts will finally disconnect and reconnect (unless of course I reopen Adium myself

I've had the same thing happen to me but with my MSN account. I'd be able to send messages (which they weren't receiving), and everything would look fine (status icon was green etc) like I was still connected when I really wasn't.

Rita
Frappa

Postby Rita » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:40 pm

Ditto to the last 3 people.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Are we talking 0.8x or 1.0svn?
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

df0notfound
Latté

Postby df0notfound » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:16 pm

evands wrote:

It doesn't reconnect, just sits there with a message box, sends a growl and bounces till you give it some attention, close the message box and change your status back to online.

Annoyingly MSN is smart enough to get back on even if its irritating "Server not found but its probably your fault" style message box is up.

Spartan
Frappa

Postby Spartan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:51 pm

evands wrote:Are we talking 0.8x or 1.0svn?

0.8x

Adium has had the aforementioned behavior with AIM for a while now though.

librarian
Harmless

I'm having a problem like this with Jabber...

Postby librarian » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:01 am

It has no problem connecting manually when I ask it, but I shouldn't have to ask it.

I really need to get Adium to reconnect, or at least *try* reconnecting, after my "Location" changes.
Ook.

InfernoSoul
Muffin

Postby InfernoSoul » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:20 am

Yeah I have also noticed this on 0.89.1. However I haven't tested any 1.0svn(waiting for it to be done and released). Same problem only fix is to quit and reboot the program.
"?Ii kagen ni shiro, kono kuzuyarô!?"

librarian
Harmless

Postby librarian » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:08 pm

I upgraded to the latest beta yesterday, we'll see how it goes when I get to the office and open up the macbook.
Ook.

Return to “Adium”