Passwords...

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
MacOSX
Frappa

Passwords...

Postby MacOSX » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:06 pm

OK, so I've had a few incidents with people getting on my accounts because you can just double click the dock icon and start chatting. Is there a way kinda like Trillian where it asks for a password at startup? If not will it be implemented in 1.0?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Just delete the password in the accounts prefpane.

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Edit your accounts and delete the saved passwords. Adium should prompt you for your password when you sign in after that.

Edit: Same time posts FTW

port80
Muffin

Postby port80 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:16 pm

I think the short answers are "no" and "no" - the standard answer is to lock your screen, give people who access your computer guest user accounts, or delete your account passwords from Keychain so that Adium doesn't log in automatically. Since the issue of "locking your computer so other people can't play with it" had already been addressed by the operating system, there isn't a pressing need to address it within Adium itself.

See also: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic. ... t=password

Edit: Man, we're all over this one.
You can have root when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks all.

Artanis
Latté

Re: Passwords...

Postby Artanis » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:11 pm

MacOSX wrote:OK, so I've had a few incidents with people getting on my accounts because you can just double click the dock icon and start chatting. Is there a way kinda like Trillian where it asks for a password at startup? If not will it be implemented in 1.0?

I had this problem with my Mac at work. There is no solution like the one u want. The guys here already said that u can delete you account password every time u log out and insert it again every time u log in, so if u have more than one account or even 1 account alonet than it will take u 5 minutes to set-up adium evey time.

I couldn't live with the fact that everyone could chat or check my history. So I placed a password on the adium application. Also another solution is to place your adium on an external drive or on another partition.
I have adium on another partition and both adium application and its libraries are there. In the application folder I have instead of adium its alias, so every time someone clicks on the doc icon the alias will connect to the partition and to access that partition a password is required.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Artanis wrote:I had this problem with my Mac at work. There is no solution like the one u want. The guys here already said that u can delete you account password every time u log out and insert it again every time u log in, so if u have more than one account or even 1 account alonet than it will take u 5 minutes to set-up adium evey time.

You're mistaken. Simply don't save your password; Adium will prompt you to enter it when it attempts to connect. There is no step 2.

I couldn't live with the fact that everyone could chat or check my history. So I placed a password on the adium application.

That's not an effectual way to stop people from reading your history. Logs are stored in plain text and can be read with any text editor or web browser.

Use a password on your OS X account. Require a password when logging in and coming back from the screen saver.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

mipadi
Frappa

Postby mipadi » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 pm

Artanis wrote:I couldn't live with the fact that everyone could chat or check my history. So I placed a password on the adium application. Also another solution is to place your adium on an external drive or on another partition.
I have adium on another partition and both adium application and its libraries are there. In the application folder I have instead of adium its alias, so every time someone clicks on the doc icon the alias will connect to the partition and to access that partition a password is required.

That's easier than giving your OS X account a password and locking your screen (which can be done automatically!) whenever your computer is not in use?

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28 pm

As said, I think the easyest solution if it's not your choice to change certain settings (ie. if you're a guest user on a computer). Your options then are totally limited to using the "portable adium" (do a search on it, in this forum).
If it's a family computer and everyone uses the same account (most people will not recomend that) then you have no other choice but to risk someone using your account.
You can have different profiles if you start up Adium and pressing alt, but it won't stop anyone.

DJeMeCouche
Muffin

Postby DJeMeCouche » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:35 am

twopeak wrote:If it's a family computer and everyone uses the same account (most people will not recomend that) then you have no other choice but to risk someone using your account.

I really think that this is a bad thing... I think it would be very benificial to have the option for a password at start up. Much easier than entering in sevral passwords or the other options.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:36 am

DJeMeCouche wrote:
twopeak wrote:If it's a family computer and everyone uses the same account (most people will not recomend that) then you have no other choice but to risk someone using your account.

I really think that this is a bad thing... I think it would be very benificial to have the option for a password at start up. Much easier than entering in sevral passwords or the other options.

As has been said MORE than once in this thread, THAT OPTION EXISTS.

DJeMeCouche
Muffin

Postby DJeMeCouche » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:41 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
DJeMeCouche wrote:

As has been said MORE than once in this thread, THAT OPTION EXISTS.

well I must admit that I don't see it... so please explain it to me (and in simple terms, I'm not a programmer or anything)

EDIT**when I say startup.. I mean Adium startup... is that the cause of the confusion?

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:52 am

Go to adium -> preferences
In the accounts tab, double click on your account.
Delete the password stored in the field.
Next time adium atemps to connect to that account, it will ask for a password.
That window contains a "remeber password" checkbox. Don't check it, that way adium will ask for a password every time.

DJeMeCouche
Muffin

Postby DJeMeCouche » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:57 am

but I have a few accounts that I always use and it would be really inconvienent to put in a password for each one everytime.

I have a system that works for me now. I'm just trying to get a solution that would be a lot more convienent into a future version.

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:59 am

I wish you luck with that... but seriusly you should consider using multiple users on your mac.

DJeMeCouche
Muffin

Postby DJeMeCouche » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:05 am

yeah I know, but whenever I make multiple users my computer slows down a bunch and I can't stand it.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:22 am

1.0 should have guest accounts.

If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what will honestly. We've been over this topic, time and time again, with always the same outcome:

1) User complains about his/her password

2) Forum people leap in, explain situation about passwords being blank making the account not auto log in or fast user switching or multiple users.

3) Eventually developers chime in, basically restating the same thing.

This is a problem with *any* application. If you give a user a convenience method of any kind, it may be used in a way not intended. There is no real solution to this other than someone on the user side doing some sort of work.

So right now, here's what I see this thread spiraling into. Someone correct me if they see it differently:

1) someone asked about passwords being auto saved being a security issue.

2) someone mentioned not putting in the password

3) multiple user accounts

4) It's inconvenient if you don't auto sign on.

Does anyone see a conflicting usability issue here? Because I do. Specifically, one person wanted to not be pestered by having to be inconvenienced by putting in a password every single time they launch adium, but they are concerned about #1.

The honest truth is, if you store your password it's just going to log in. If you don't want people to be able to log into your account with Adium, as of right now, by just clicking on the application icon, then you need to do one of these things

1) Don't save your password

2) Don't leave your computer logged in.

You have two choices. It boils down to that. There isn't much we can do as application designers to change this as of right now, and I honestly can't think of what to do to change it either.

If you can think of a logical way to get around this problem, then please post.

Also, if you cannot trust your friends on your computer, then don't let them on it. Lock the machine, go outside, and do normal stuff and not computer stuff. They are over to visit you, not check their email or im strange people. If you cannot trust them, why are you letting them onto your computer?

If you have a public computer that is a family computer, you've got other issues. If your parents have a computer and allow you to use it, why do you allow the accounts to save? If you are worried your parents are going to get into your accounts, im your friends, and read your logs, you should not save your password, and you should not log conversations. End of story.

And in 1.0 you can even setup a guest account every time you launch adium, and they won't know about the account at all after you quit adium. How cool is that huh??!?!?!!?!!?/111111oneone

In closing, if you can't trust people using your computer, then don't let them on it, and don't store your credentials. If it's not your computer, then assume all data you place onto the computer is no longer yours, including passwords and logs. Sprinkle in some common sense, a little parmesan that's been freshly grated, and some parsley and you'll end up with a much more sane user experience. Or a fine chicken broth.

m_beckman
Harmless

Postby m_beckman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 am

Wouldn't a solution be to go into the keychain and use access control for Adium passwords? Just check "Ask for keychain password" and then you only will have to remember your keychain password. I guess you still have to write it several times if you have several accounts, but there would only be one password to remember.

One password to rule them all...

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm

I think the best way to do is just to have an option to have Adium ask you for a password on startup, and if you don't put it in, it just doesn't start-up...

ozean
Latté

yummy broth

Postby ozean » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:10 pm

The_Tick wrote:In closing, if you can't trust people using your computer, then don't let them on it, and don't store your credentials. If it's not your computer, then assume all data you place onto the computer is no longer yours, including passwords and logs. Sprinkle in some common sense, a little parmesan that's been freshly grated, and some parsley and you'll end up with a much more sane user experience. Or a fine chicken broth.

For logical and avian consistency: shouldn't it be duck broth?

Return to “Adium”