Locally Stored Buddy List?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Morkai1
Harmless

Locally Stored Buddy List?

Postby Morkai1 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm

For an unkown reason, my AIM account was suspended last night after I tried to connect (this was just out of the blue...I had just been connected about an hour earlier). I'm trying to resolve the problem with AOL...but proscpects look grim as AIM isn't a paid service and their support is limited. No one can tell me why it happened or when and if it will be reinstated. They did say they are "working on the problem."

Anyways, as much as I would prefer to use another service, AIM is pretty much the standard for communication here on campus. I can live with changing my screen name, but there's no way I'm going to remember all my contact list names. Does Adium store them anywhere locally?

Sorry for the long post, but I guess I was just hoping someone else might have gone through this situation as well and might be able to give me hope.

Thanks in advance,
Morkai

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:35 pm

If worse comes to worse you can always look through your old logs to see the names of contacts therein.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:49 pm

You're not alone, a few of my accounts were suspended and I know a few others who've had it happen too.

Out of all my accounts, the ones that were closed were associated with an old email address that I no longer have. That's the best I've come up with so far in finding a pattern.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:21 pm

Adam Iser wrote:You're not alone, a few of my accounts were suspended and I know a few others who've had it happen too.

Out of all my accounts, the ones that were closed were associated with an old email address that I no longer have. That's the best I've come up with so far in finding a pattern.

The gaim developers' list came to the same conclusion, Adam.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

DigitalFlame
Harmless

Postby DigitalFlame » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:08 am

I hope thats not the case because my main aim account is also associated with an email i no longer have. That would suck if i were no longer able to use it. Guess i better start copying my buddies to a new aim sn while i still have their sn's just to make sure :lol:
...the typical sleepy mexican
-Randy Marsh

FredAkbar
Crema

Postby FredAkbar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Hm, I signed on to each of my AIM accounts today to change the email address from my AOL one to my new Cox one (we've had Cox for years, but we've been using AOL's "bring your own service" plan for email...I think we're finally going to drop it though :D), and the email addresses for some of the accounts were other long dead email accounts I've had. Good thing I changed the addresses today anyway.
Fred / Adium X 1.2.7
20" iMac w/ Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz / 2 GB RAM / 256 MB Radeon X1600 / 250 GB HD / OS 10.5.4
FreeRice. Play a free vocab game on this ad-supported site to help fight world hunger.

cbarrett
Adium Team

Postby cbarrett » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:20 am

I wonder if there's anything people who had their accounts suspended can do? Email AOL?

FredAkbar
Crema

Postby FredAkbar » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:42 am

Are we sure it's "suspended" and not "deleted"? If they were suspended then AOL might be able to cooperate, but if they were deleted then AOL probably nuked the buddy list, etc., I would think.
Fred / Adium X 1.2.7
20" iMac w/ Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz / 2 GB RAM / 256 MB Radeon X1600 / 250 GB HD / OS 10.5.4
FreeRice. Play a free vocab game on this ad-supported site to help fight world hunger.

kjellreigstad
Harmless

Postby kjellreigstad » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:22 pm

FredAkbar
Crema

Postby FredAkbar » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:04 pm

Just saw it on CNET, was about to post about it. I guess this is good news.
Fred / Adium X 1.2.7

Return to “Adium”