What's the reason for gaim not wanting to support video?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
MILE
Harmless

What's the reason for gaim not wanting to support video?

Postby MILE » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 pm

I know the topic of implementing video and/or voice into Adium has been discussed on here countless times and I also know that it's not up to the Adium devs, since Adium relies on libgaim...

So I just browsed to the gaim website and in ther FAQs I stumbled over this entry:

Will you support features such as voice chat, internet phones, or video chat?
In the short term we have no plans to work on or attempt to integrate patches in these areas.

What else would they want to work on then...?! Isn't that one of the most requested features of all...?! And what's the reason for them to (as it seems to me) neglect then implementaion of video and/or voice ability anyway...?!

I'm not trying to troll here, I'd just really want to understand what's behind that...! :???:

.:: MILE ::.
:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Working on it piecemeal without at least one expert devoting most of his time to it is just pointless. It still won't get done, and you'll have wasted time on little bits of it. I'd imagine they're not working on it because they don't have anyone with the necessary expertise that has volunteered to take on such a large project.

That said, that FAQ entry is probably out of date, since last I heard they were planning on adding Google Talk voice support.

MacOSX
Frappa

Re: What's the reason for gaim not wanting to support video?

Postby MacOSX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 am

MILE wrote:I know the topic of implementing video and/or voice into Adium has been discussed on here countless times and I also know that it's not up to the Adium devs, since Adium relies on libgaim...

So I just browsed to the gaim website and in ther FAQs I stumbled over this entry:

In the short term we have no plans to work on or attempt to integrate patches in these areas.

What else would they want to work on then...?! Isn't that one of the most requested features of all...?! And what's the reason for them to (as it seems to me) neglect then implementaion of video and/or voice ability anyway...?!

I'm not trying to troll here, I'd just really want to understand what's behind that...! :???:

Honestly, out of the 400 something contacts I have, only about 2 have webcams or microphones. I almost feel like adding these two features into GAIM would be pointless, not to mention hard as heck!

Also, if people want the Video or Audio so bad, there are alternatives, like iChat, Mercury Messenger, aMSN, the standard AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ clients *excluding AIM, ICQ, and MSN for Mac*

Then people are going to say, *well, the ICQ and MSN protocal don't have Video or Audio*

So I will answer, "Let's face it, Windows dominates the world with 97% of it using Windows, you want these features, switch to Windows."

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:33 am

eh, I'm gonna have to disagree that AV is pointless. The more clients support it, the faster we can drive adoption. Also, I'm convinced that AV will eventually merge with phones, bringing new capabilities to both.

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:16 am

Catfish_Man wrote:eh, I'm gonna have to disagree that AV is pointless. The more clients support it, the faster we can drive adoption. Also, I'm convinced that AV will eventually merge with phones, bringing new capabilities to both.

Good points! I agree that AV may not be as "pointless" as I thought, but I guess I still feel Instant Messaging is a text thing. If I wanted to talk to someone, I'd use a phone or Skype, and if I wanted to see someone, I'd do it in person *that is, of course thinking in my town or city not globaly.* That's where my opinion has its fault. If you wanted to see someone 2000 miles away, you'd have to pay 1000 dollars for technology that coud do this, but as an instant messaging client could do this for free!

Friendly arguments are so fun :D

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:32 am

MacOSX wrote:Honestly, out of the 400 something contacts I have, only about 2 have webcams or microphones.

Most (perhaps all; I don't know about the mini) Macs have built-in microphones.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:48 am

Macskeeball wrote:
MacOSX wrote:Honestly, out of the 400 something contacts I have, only about 2 have webcams or microphones.

No, most NEW Macs do.

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:50 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
Macskeeball wrote:

No, most NEW Macs do.

Most of my friends are on PCs, which don't like to add any "extra features"

Besides, most of them wouldn't even know how to plug one in....

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:07 am

MILE wrote:

I wonder if they even all have vid cameras/microphones.

Hellmark
Harmless

Postby Hellmark » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 am

On that question, that part of the FAQ is somewhat outdated. Last I heard, they were working on bringing Gaim-VV back into Gaim somewhere around the 2.0 release. It was supposed to be in the betas, but has run into some issues.

MILE
Harmless

Postby MILE » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:03 pm

Being a Mac user myself I can confirm that most of the Macs out there have at least a microphone included, all of the new Macs even have a built-in camera...! And many would love to use them...

So I guess the need for AV implementation is increasing...!?

Of course they could use the standalone messengers for AV communication and some do, but that's not really a solution...there's need for a good multimessenger app that includes AV, of that I'm certain...! And as long as Apple doesn't turn iChat into one there are only Adium and Proteus left...which both make use of libgaim and thus also depend on the development of that core technology...

(Not sure if Fire is still out there, but I doubt that we'll ever see a new version of that anyway...?!)

:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:57 pm

MILE wrote:Being a Mac user myself I can confirm that most of the Macs out there have at least a microphone included, all of the new Macs even have a built-in camera...! And many would love to use them...

So I guess the need for AV implementation is increasing...!?

Of course they could use the standalone messengers for AV communication and some do, but that's not really a solution...there's need for a good multimessenger app that includes AV, of that I'm certain...! And as long as Apple doesn't turn iChat into one there are only Adium and Proteus left...which both make use of libgaim and thus also depend on the development of that core technology...

(Not sure if Fire is still out there, but I doubt that we'll ever see a new version of that anyway...?!)

Mile, just because you are a mac user, it doesn't give you any ability to be claiming that "Most macs out there have a mic".

Unless you are an apple employee with access to these statistics you do not have the ability to prove this.

We're aware that audio/video is a wanted request. Very aware. I even made a blog post about it here:

http://www.adiumx.com/blog/2006/06/sett ... -video.php

It's not a matter of the gaim folks needing to implement voice/video. I explain exactly what is needed in the blog post. Please reply to this thread if it confuses you.

Cataradi
Harmless

Postby Cataradi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:33 pm

The_Tick wrote:Mile, just because you are a mac user, it doesn't give you any ability to be claiming that "Most macs out there have a mic".

Unless you are an apple employee with access to these statistics you do not have the ability to prove this.

Pretty much every Mac sold in the last decade (excluding PowerMacs/Cubes) has had a built-in microphone.

Spartan
Frappa

Postby Spartan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Cataradi wrote:Pretty much every Mac sold in the last decade (excluding PowerMacs/Cubes) has had a built-in microphone.

Where is the built-in mic on my Mini?

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:16 am

Cataradi wrote:Pretty much every Mac sold in the last decade (excluding PowerMacs/Cubes) has had a built-in microphone.
Where is the built-in mic on my iBook? And my G3? and my G5?

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:50 am

twopeak wrote:
Where is the built-in mic on my iBook?

It's that little hole to the right of your screen.
And my G3? and my G5?

Notice the "(excluding PowerMacs/Cubes)" part of what you quoted.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 am

When using exclusions, make sure they are comprehensive, if not, they come back to bite you.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

AndiJF
Harmless

Postby AndiJF » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:36 am

MILE wrote:Being a Mac user myself I can confirm that most of the Macs out there have at least a microphone included, all of the new Macs even have a built-in camera...! And many would love to use them.

The built in microphone in my iMac G5 is pretty useless. It sort of works, but feedback and mechanical noise transmitted through the chassis is very noticeable in Skype at least.

Besides, the last thing I want is video chat... I don't want anyone seeing me in my pyjamas...

Return to “Adium”