Encryption? How to....??

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Scubasinger
Harmless

Encryption? How to....??

Postby Scubasinger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:48 am

Could someone post a basic tutorial on the how-to's of encryption?

I know absolutely nothing...

Why should I use it?
When should I use it?
How do I use it?

I've looked on the help pages, I've searched the forum messages and haven't found anything. There are a few messages dealing with encryption but all seem to be about 'details of use'...not something for a newbie to the question.

Any help would be appreciated

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:58 am

Your post is in the Adium forum, but it's actual content does not strongly indicate that you're actually talking about Adium. It seems rather broad and for all I know you might be posting in the wrong forum. So just to be clear, are you asking specifically about encrypting instant messages sent and received with Adium?
Last edited by Macskeeball on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scubasinger
Harmless

Postby Scubasinger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:07 am

Yeah, in Adium's IM...Sorry, I just assumed that since I was posting in the Adium forum that it would be presumed I was asking an Adium question..Guess I should have been more clear in my question. So...

More clear then: How do I use encryption within Adium? Why would I want to?

More specifically: When I 'get info' on a contact, there's an option for enabling/disabling encryption; in the advanced prefs area, there's a reference to something called a 'fingerprint'.

None of this means a single thing to me and there seems to be nothing in the documentation. I'm curious about what it is, how I use it, and what benefits it might bring.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me in learning more about the program.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encryption should have enough information to give you a quick start on encryption.

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:43 am

When you would use it: When giving someone restricted information such as business information of bank details.
Why?: Because otherwise a hacker could "listen in" to your conversation and learn some juicy details.
Why not?: It is not necessary for day to day use as hackers are unlikely wanting to know your plans for the w/e or who was the best dressed at last night's party.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:20 am

I was just wondering about this the other day. For Adium's encryption to work, doesn't both sender AND receiver need to be using Adium, and both should have enabled an "Encrypted Chat"?

It wouldn't work with say, me using Adium, and my friend using the official AIM client, now would it?
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:21 am

OTR (Off the record) is a standard for of encryption, and Adium uses this. But i have no idea if it works with other clients.

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:32 am

m2e wrote:OTR (Off the record) is a standard for of encryption, and Adium uses this. But i have no idea if it works with other clients.

It does.

Another time to use encryption is when you want to talk about something that you don't want in AOL's (or whoever's) server-side logs.

Return to “Adium”