New iChat - any thoughts?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:03 am

quincy wrote:Well, obviously I'll be using Adium over iChat in large part for its customization, but iChat looks so much better in Leopard than it is on Tiger, and it can actually prove useful with certain tasks.

And yes, I definitely plan on using the screen sharing on occasion :)

I don't really see that its changed all that much, infact you can get it looking the same already just use

Borderless ichat
http://myobie.backpackit.com/pub/666902

and the right theme which I'm sure you can find somewhere and your pretty much there

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:10 am

iChat 3.0 uses Unified, not the polished metal that iTunes and iPhoto use.

I wonder which window style Safari 3.0 will adopt?

medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am

MBHockey wrote:iChat 3.0 uses Unified, not the polished metal that iTunes and iPhoto use.

I wonder which window style Safari 3.0 will adopt?

I know just couldn't be bothered to install Iridium for Unified but you pushed me into it

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19074

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:17 am

Personally, I find all those UI stuff like backdrops a pointless waist of time. But the sharing of iPhoto and Keynote is really cool. Now, is this going through the AIM servers or Mac servers? If its AIM I won't use it. They have too many security problems.

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:26 am

I also hope they didn't use a lot of developer's time on those iChat video backdrops.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:45 am

MBHockey wrote:I also hope they didn't use a lot of developer's time on those iChat video backdrops.

I strongly suspect that via CoreGraphics it was entirely trivial.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 am

Glad to hear it :)

Now...where are those Merom MBPs...

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:29 am

Just out of curiosity, how easy would it be to write a plugin for iChat that would introduce support for MSN, Yahoo! et al via gaim or some other library?

Rich::

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 am

Simba Cub wrote:Just out of curiosity, how easy would it be to write a plugin for iChat that would introduce support for MSN, Yahoo! et al via gaim or some other library?

Rich::

iChat supports Jabber. Jabber supports transports that act as gateways to the legacy protocols. Thus, through it's Jabber support, iChat supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC (depending on the jabber server used). People have been using iChat with those services in that way since the day Tiger was released.

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 am

The new iChat looks great. My favorite feature is the screen sharing, but everything else is good too. I like the move to unified as well.

Macskeeball wrote:iChat supports Jabber. Jabber supports transports that act as gateways to the legacy protocols. Thus, through it's Jabber support, iChat supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC (depending on the jabber server used). People have been using iChat with those services in that way since the day Tiger was released.

This doesn't support file transfers though, does it?

zaudragon
Growl Team

Postby zaudragon » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 am

Sean wrote:The new iChat looks great. My favorite feature is the screen sharing, but everything else is good too. I like the move to unified as well.

Macskeeball wrote:iChat supports Jabber. Jabber supports transports that act as gateways to the legacy protocols. Thus, through it's Jabber support, iChat supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC (depending on the jabber server used). People have been using iChat with those services in that way since the day Tiger was released.

Nope, since Jabber uses pre-FT protocols: TOC, for example.
Blog | X(tras)
Communists code without classes.

medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:09 pm

zaudragon wrote:
Sean wrote:The new iChat looks great. My favorite feature is the screen sharing, but everything else is good too. I like the move to unified as well.

Nope, since Jabber uses pre-FT protocols: TOC, for example.

Yes it does well at least for MSN, has done for a while now. Most Servers use the new Python MSN Transport which supports avitars and file transfers. Personally I use this server http://www.netmindz.net/jabber/

For the MSN protocol
The file transfer isn't get but then again adiums file transfer is about the same. You can receive personal messages which you can not in adium also receiving avatar seems to work better then in Adium 1.0 beta, worked great in 0.89.1 but seems to have broken. To be honest the jabber support for MSN is just as good as the current adium support for MSN, and the you have a fully function AIM with video and audio running along side it. The only bug that really annoys me with jabber ichat is this one

This happens because iChats maximum picture size (64 x64) is smaller then the MSN picture size (96 x96). So MSN scales it up, I think. iChat developers need to fix it

File Transfer

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:38 pm

medicine wrote:This happens because iChats maximum picture size (64 x64) is smaller then the MSN picture size (96 x96). So MSN scales it up, I think. iChat developers need to fix it

They don't need to fix it. It's outside of the scope of iChat.

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 am

Sean wrote:

Most likely it's just text.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't notice that there was another page in the thread.
Last edited by Macskeeball on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 am

medicine wrote:receiving avatar seems to work better then in Adium 1.0 beta, worked great in 0.89.1 but seems to have broken.

That's the first time I've heard anything about MSN avatar support in 1.0 beta having any problems.
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:47 am

evands wrote:
medicine wrote:receiving avatar seems to work better then in Adium 1.0 beta, worked great in 0.89.1 but seems to have broken.

That's the first time I've heard anything about MSN avatar support in 1.0 beta having any problems.

i thought that I had already, read it in the beta forums. receiving avatars doesn't seem to be as quick or as reliable as it was in pervious version of adium. A lot of the time Adium my contacts will stay avatarless for all the time that I'm using Adium when in iChat and MSN is will receive that avatar almost immediately. I'm sure I already read this some were will have to have a search. Anyway I think Adium is alot better then iChat as a Multiprotocol IM so keep up the good work.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:26 am

medicine wrote:
evands wrote:

i thought that I had already, read it in the beta forums. receiving avatars doesn't seem to be as quick or as reliable as it was in pervious version of adium. A lot of the time Adium my contacts will stay avatarless for all the time that I'm using Adium when in iChat and MSN is will receive that avatar almost immediately. I'm sure I already read this some were will have to have a search. Anyway I think Adium is alot better then iChat as a Multiprotocol IM so keep up the good work.

This is why filing trac tickets on issues is much better than a forum post. We can actually work with trac tickets a lot better than forums (stuff gets lost on the forums sometimes).

Make a trac ticket if you can on it.

Rob W
Harmless

Postby Rob W » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm

The main reason iChat get under used on my PB is due to the lack of friends who own Macs.
That's why I love Adium. Now I don't feel left out. Just hope one day it'll support video.

Macskeeball
Frappa

Postby Macskeeball » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 am

Rob W wrote:The main reason iChat get under used on my PB is due to the lack of friends who own Macs.
That's why I love Adium. Now I don't feel left out. Just hope one day it'll support video.

iChat uses AIM and/or Jabber. The person on the other end does not need to be using iChat.

Rob W
Harmless

Postby Rob W » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:13 am

Macskeeball wrote:
Rob W wrote:The main reason iChat get under used on my PB is due to the lack of friends who own Macs.

iChat uses AIM and/or Jabber. The person on the other end does not need to be using iChat.

That's fine if you know people with AIM accounts or Jabber. Here in the UK most people use Yahoo or MSN

Return to “Adium”