"Now Playing" and Buddy Icons

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Jared Burns
Harmless

"Now Playing" and Buddy Icons

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 am

Hey all, I just got my MacBook earlier today, and the first thing I did was download Adium and start talking with my MSN contacts.

2 things:

1. Is it possible to show the other person what's playing in iTunes, like on MSN Messenger?

2. How in the bloody hell do I change my display picture? :grin:
Columnist, News Editor, and Moderator for iProng.com -- Voice of the iPod Generation

MacOSX
Frappa

Re: "Now Playing" and Buddy Icons

Postby MacOSX » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:03 am

Jared Burns wrote:Hey all, I just got my MacBook earlier today, and the first thing I did was download Adium and start talking with my MSN contacts.

2 things:

1. Is it possible to show the other person what's playing in iTunes, like on MSN Messenger?

2. How in the bloody hell do I change my display picture? :grin:

1. Is not possible until GAIM releases MSPN11.
2. File, Preferences, click your account, hit the edit button, go under the personal tab, and there ya go!

*or if your using the beta click the icon on the contact list*

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:19 am

Thanks a ton!
Last edited by Jared Burns on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Columnist, News Editor, and Moderator for iProng.com -- Voice of the iPod Generation

medicine
Frappa

Postby medicine » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:24 am

Well it sort of is possible just it won't go in your personal message, the track name will appear in your name. Its basically looks the same to your msn friends. Just place

Your name- (%_statusMessage)

As your display name, then select iTunes from the status menu. It should then show your name followed by the current playing song in itunes.

If you wanna one up all your PC friends you can also use this

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20801

That will show the current artwork of the track that your listening to as well. When you PC's friends say hay how do you do that, just tell them you have to have a mac. :grin:

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:43 am

MacOSX wrote:2. File, Preferences, click your account, hit the edit button, go under the personal tab, and there ya go!

I think you mean "Adium, Preferences, click your account"

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:45 am

Mac OS X:I can't seem to find the Preferences you speak of, Mac OSX... or the icon in the contact list

I'm ah stumped...

medicine:

How do you get into the display name. Sorry.

I'm trying to let my Mac cool down, since for some reason it suddenly rendered my trackpad and keyboard useless....I figured it overheated...or maybe it had something to do with the HD...it sounded like there was a cow inside my MacBook :shock:

skoo
Muffin

Postby skoo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 am

I think there was an assumption that you were using the beta.

as far as the iTunes status goes, typing /itunes or %_itunes should work.

for your display images, go to your accounts and go to edit each account and you should see where to change your pic.

If someone would be kind enough to post the beta link, you can download that and you'll have the iTunes status option in your status list and an option in your preferences for a universal display image.

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:16 am

m2e wrote:
MacOSX wrote:2. File, Preferences, click your account, hit the edit button, go under the personal tab, and there ya go!

I think you mean "Adium, Preferences, click your account"

OMG!!! I WAS THINKING OS 9.0 *was working on them in school today! *slaps self*

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:27 am

Thanks guys.

I don't know if this is too off-topic, but what should I do with my new Mac? Like I mentioned before, the trackpad and keyboard just stopped responding, and neither shutting down nor taking the battery out and putting it back in did anything. I'm hoping I don't have to send it back, since school starts in less than two weeks

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:40 am

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? You can make an appointment online (http://www.apple.com/retail/) to speak to a Mac Genius, and they'll look at it for free as well as fix it for free if they can without needing new parts.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 am

Nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hours away. I think I'm getting somewhere on the apple forums though.

Thanks anyway.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:00 am

Jared Burns wrote:Nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hours away. I think I'm getting somewhere on the apple forums though.

Thanks anyway.

Please link us in this thread to your fix once you have one -- only polite to anyone else who ends up here via Googling for your problem :)
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:12 am

Jared Burns wrote:Thanks guys.

I don't know if this is too off-topic, but what should I do with my new Mac? Like I mentioned before, the trackpad and keyboard just stopped responding, and neither shutting down nor taking the battery out and putting it back in did anything. I'm hoping I don't have to send it back, since school starts in less than two weeks

Call Applecare asap. Did you buy it under a student account? If so there is a student line to call.

The faster you call, the faster they'll get you a box sent out and send it back to you.

I've had applecare turn arounds that were in the same week.

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:17 am

I called them, not knowing that they only offer tech help between 8 AM and 8 PM my time zone...I called them at 8:12.

I'm getting up first thing tomorrow though and calling in...I'll be damned if I had saved up since February just to enjoy my first Mac for four hours.

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 am

Called Apple, the rep said he had never encountered my situation before, I'm printing off the FedEx labels tomorrow, and they're sending me a replacement via expedited shipping (standard overnite it said on the email).

'sall good :grin:

MacOSX
Frappa

Postby MacOSX » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Jared Burns wrote:Called Apple, the rep said he had never encountered my situation before, I'm printing off the FedEx labels tomorrow, and they're sending me a replacement via expedited shipping (standard overnite it said on the email).

'sall good :grin:

Excellent!

Jared Burns
Harmless

Postby Jared Burns » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:38 pm

Well I finally got my replacement about a half hour ago, I'm gonna go DL the beta now.

*crosses fingers*

Return to “Adium”