AIM just doesn't work.

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
that guy
Harmless

AIM just doesn't work.

Postby that guy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:57 am

adium works just fine with my yahoo and msn screen names, and that alone makes up at least four screen names, but it can't keep one aim screen name online for more than a second. literally.

when opening the program, i attempt to sign the names in all at once, or one at a time, but with no success either way, as the aim names will, at the most, display their buddy list briefly, and then sign right back off. now, they will continue to do this until i've signed in too many times in a short period of time to be allowed access to the screen name.

does anyone have a clue what this is about? i haven't completely given up on adium, and i don't want to, but i have to use aim right now, and it's painful to know that my other two aim names are offline.

:sad:

m2e
Mocha

Re: AIM just doesn't work.

Postby m2e » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:31 am

that guy wrote:[...]i attempt to sign the names in all at once, or one at a time, but with no success either way, as the aim names will, at the most, display their buddy list briefly, and then sign right back off.

So if you disconnect from all account and ONLY connect with your AIM account, it still doesn't work?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:12 pm

What version of Adium are you using?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Ders
Latté

Postby Ders » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:56 pm

One of my friends who recently downloaded Adium on to his MacBook deleted accidentally his login server for AIM (located preferences -> accounts -> edit aim account) so his AIM account wasn't signing on. Might be worth checking out ...

petieg
Harmless

I can confirm AIM problems

Postby petieg » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Latest Adium on a MBP, latest OSX (all as of 8/17/06). Just recently AIM started the same complaints -- you're logging in too frequently, etc...

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 pm

petieg, is it the 1.0 beta, or 0.89.1?

Adium --> About Adium

jae77
Muffin

Postby jae77 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:19 pm

i'm seeing this too using the 1.0b8 beta

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:30 pm

jae77 wrote:i'm seeing this too using the 1.0b8 beta

Just wanted to tell y'all that I was getting ready to post this topic as well, when I saw that it had already been done. 1.0b8 has trouble keeping AIM accounts connected. My MSN, and Yahoo, and ICQ accounts will load their contact lists, and remain connected, yet my primary AIM will load, and then die ( a lot here lately). It will then go into a "trying to connect cycle" in Adium which will prove fruitless. After several attempts at this, AIM will then send me a message saying I've tried to connect to the servers too frequently, and that I am banned for 5 minutes, lol. I never once encountered this problem in 0.89.1 and below. It has only cropped up in the 1.0 betas. I had read somewhere that the devs had changed the way that Adium connects to AIM in 1.0. Perhaps this is the problem?

Trac: http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/5182

By the way, judging by the recent comments on Trac, it appears many people have had trouble with this on this particular morning (8-17-06), which leads me to believe that this problem may in some way be server-side related?
Last edited by John Don on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

jae77
Muffin

Postby jae77 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 pm

well - i should also note that i've been using 1.0b8 since it was released, and today is the first time i'm seeing this issue.

perhaps the aol protocol changed slightly and the new betas are unable to understand it?

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:38 pm

I am not seeing this behavior with AIM on any of the 1.0 betas.

I only use 1 aim account with Adium though. It sounds like everyone having problems are using multiple services.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 pm

MBHockey wrote:I am not seeing this behavior with AIM on any of the 1.0 betas.

I only use 1 aim account with Adium though. It sounds like everyone having problems are using multiple services.

And for the record, I have 2 AIM accounts, 1 Yahoo, 1 MSN, and 1 ICQ account set to deploy upon Adium start.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

jae77
Muffin

Postby jae77 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 pm

i'm not conneecting to any of my other services (yahoo) right now and i still see this happen.

the thread that requests the buddy icons also keeps going even after i've been disconnected.

athleticsfan
Harmless

Postby athleticsfan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 pm

I guess I should be added as a "me too" to this list. This has happened to me once before, maybe about 2 weeks ago. After it decided to let me in again, everything was fine. Today, it cropped back up again.

Now that I think about it, the behavior seems slightly different than the last time, though that might just be my perception since I don't know how closely I was paying attention the last time.

The first time it happened, I was launching Adium and logging in for the first time that day. It was taking a very long time to get all 5 of my accounts (2 AIM, 1 .Mac, 1 Yahoo and 1 Jabber) logged in, but I didn't think anything of it. After about a minute or so, I ultimately got "the" error that I'd made to many login attempts. I waited the 5 minutes I was told to, then tried again and the same thing happened. It took several tries and about 30 minutes or so to finally get in, but after I did, all was well.

This time, however, I happened to be looking at my contact list while it was trying to login. It appeared to login successfully, retrieved my 3 AIM buddy lists, then disconnect. It did that several times (not sure how many), then I got the error. I waited a few minutes and tried again and it started doing the same thing again, but I cancelled the attempts so I wouldn't get temp-banned again.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Aaron

Dual 1.8GHz G5
10.4.7 (8J135), with latest security update installed
Adium 1.0b8

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 pm

John Don wrote:By the way, judging by the recent comments on Trac, it appears many people have had trouble with this on this particular morning (8-17-06), which leads me to believe that this problem may in some way be server-side related?

I just started having this problem today. I am also guessing it's a server-side problem.

I have 3 AIM accounts, one (ironically the one I use the most) won't connect, because it's been "connecting too frequently."
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

clifff
Harmless

Postby clifff » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm running 1.0b8

Just this morning AIM started exhibiting this behavior.. it will connect for a miniscule amount of time, disconnect, rinse wash repeat until it hits the login rate limiter which tells you to wait 5 minutes.

It's been working perfectly up until now, and I can honestly say that I haven't made any changes.. I just woke up this morning not connected to AIM anymore. I checked the server and it seems valid, which is supported by the fact that i am able to login for .1 seconds and see my buddies in that flash.

I only have one account, and have accounts for YAHOO, MSN, and google talk which all are still functional. I'm going to try adding my ICQ login and seeing if it works (since it's the same servers as AIM right?)

-Cliff

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:01 pm

I just re-launched Adium, and observed the "problem account" connecting, disconnecting, and re-connecting for about 5 minutes, after which I got the message that I had been connecting too frequently and should wait 5 minutes before trying to reconnect. Annoying!

I am on 1.0b8, but my friend on 0.89.1 is also having the issue.

I am pretty sure this must be a server-side problem, as I said before.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Owlboy
Muffin

Postby Owlboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:10 pm

I just had this start happening today to me too!

AIM, Crazy Reconnects, Ends up being too many connection tries.

-Owl

jae77
Muffin

Postby jae77 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:17 pm

are ppl no longer experiencing this, b/c i'm still getting disconnected.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm

jae77 wrote:are ppl no longer experiencing this, b/c i'm still getting disconnected.

I think people are just getting tired of typing for the moment, jae77 :razz:

In response to the posts above, I have had this "connecting too frequently" problem crop up quite a few times on my main AIM account in 1.0 betas past. It's just that it decided to go really hardcore this morning, and everyone seems to have been bitten by it.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

MBHockey
Crema

Postby MBHockey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:27 pm

not me...i'm immune!

Return to “Adium”