AIM just doesn't work.

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Spartan
Frappa

Post by Spartan »

Durandal wrote:Another data point. I got the ban this morning, and then I reconnected just fine after that. I was using Adium for a few hours without issues, but just now, Adium got disconnected from AIM and tried reconnecting, and I got the 5 minute ban again. So now I'm stuck.

I am in the same situation as you. What was interesting for me though is that overnight I got all the disconnects and reconnects. I then relaunched Adium and everything was fine. Then again, I left Adium alone for a few hours and it happened, but this time a relaunch did not solve the problem.

Using iChat now. :(
MacMom
Crema

Post by MacMom »

I am back on AIM with 1.0b8.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

MacMom wrote:I am back on AIM with 1.0b8.

How long between not being able to sign in and being able to sign in?
smooth1
Harmless

Post by smooth1 »

This started for me this morning as well, still can't login with Adium. iChat works fine.

1.0b8 10.4.7 PPC Mac Mini
spane
Harmless

Post by spane »

I've been having problems all day, but I downgraded from the beta to the official release and it's working fine now.
Durandal
Latté

Post by Durandal »

Still getting disconnected immediately after connecting to AIM.
Damien Sorresso

MacMom
Crema

Post by MacMom »

The_Tick wrote:
MacMom wrote:I am back on AIM with 1.0b8.

How long between not being able to sign in and being able to sign in?

A few hours.

And apparently, after being signed in for maybe 10 minutes (I am not sure how long cause I wasn't paying attention), my AIM SN started signing in and out again without my noticing it. I was alerted to the problem when the Adiumy in my dock started bouncing up and down, and I again got the reconnecting error message and the ban.
Annoying little frog

Sean
Latté

Post by Sean »

If it matters at all, I have been signed into AIM for over 2 hours now without one disconnect (using 1.0b8 and 10.4.7/Intel). The only problem that I still have regarding AIM is the buddy icons not downloading.

So I don't think this is happening to everybody.
MacMom
Crema

Post by MacMom »

Maybe how many AIM SNs you are signed in on is an issue. I am signed in on two of my sn's - the ones I don't use much. The one I use all the time won't stay signed in, even when I sign out the other two.
Annoying little frog

ecook
Harmless

Post by ecook »

Any way to make Adium skip downloading the buddy icons?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Alright, so here's something that'll help.

My account headliner321 is affected, but my other accounts (testing accounts) are not.

The theory is that this is based on how many contacts you do have on your list, so the best way to test that is with http://aimfight.com

headliner321 is 14345
lcchrisf is 2476
toilet shower is 1264
omgwtfsco is 1556

So if your account is having this problem, possibly the first thing we could do is ascertain if you are in the upper limits or the lower limits.
andgarden
Harmless

Post by andgarden »

I'm told that I have 12,263. It seems way higher than I was aware of, but there it is. And I'm having serious problems staying logged in.
getalife03
Harmless

Me too

Post by getalife03 »

I'm at 88,534 and can't stay online for more than 3 seconds. Buddy list loads and quickly closes. Could that number really play a role?

S
itsfknmikv
Harmless

Post by itsfknmikv »

5,792, no connections all day.
John Don
Frappa

Post by John Don »

evands wrote:Among other things, the problem made rate limiting much more sensitive. As detailed in a couple tickets such as #4457, Adium with joscar 'pushes the limits' of the AIM rate limit nearly to the brink in an attempt to be überfast... and with large buddy lists, in particular, doesn't gracefully back off yet when it approaches the boundary of being kicked off. This existing problem exacerbated the server problems and made Adium 1.0b users more likely to experience a kick.

The_Tick wrote:Alright, so here's something that'll help http://aimfight.com

Both very informative posts on this issue. Tick, great find on that link as well!

Btw, 22616 for me on my primary account with 100+ contacts.
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!
Paul
Latté

Post by Paul »

761, can connect fine.
MacMom
Crema

Post by MacMom »

As I understand it, it isn't really how many people you have on your buddy list.
Using a complicated algorithm, AIM® Fight crawls through the depths of the Internet to answer the all-important question that plagues us all: How popular am I right this second? Your score is the sum of the current number of people online who have you listed as a buddy, out to three degrees. This means the score is constantly changing, and the winner of the battle will constantly change with it.

So the sn that doesn't stay logged on has a score of 3316.

The other two scored 937 and 120, respectively.

But I don't understand how this is a predictor of whether I can stay online or not. Yes, this account has a large buddylist, and a lot of people have me on their buddy list. I can prune inactive names off my own list, but I can't necessarily make those people take me off their lists.
Annoying little frog

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

MacMom wrote:As I understand it, it isn't really how many people you have on your buddy list.
Using a complicated algorithm, AIM® Fight crawls through the depths of the Internet to answer the all-important question that plagues us all: How popular am I right this second? Your score is the sum of the current number of people online who have you listed as a buddy, out to three degrees. This means the score is constantly changing, and the winner of the battle will constantly change with it.

So the sn that doesn't stay logged on has a score of 3316.

The other two scored 937 and 120, respectively.

But I don't understand how this is a predictor of whether I can stay online or not. Yes, this account has a large buddylist, and a lot of people have me on their buddy list. I can prune inactive names off my own list, but I can't necessarily make those people take me off their lists.

How aimfight works is that it sees how many folks you have online, and then how many buddies they have that are online.

So if you have a higher number, theory is you have a well connected network. Meaning that you probably have a lot of buddies.

And so far my theory has held, lower numbered accounts are able to sign on and stay on, higher are not. So it proves the point of the accounts that have a lot of buddies being the only ones affected.
John Don
Frappa

Post by John Don »

The_Tick wrote:And so far my theory has held, lower numbered accounts are able to sign on and stay on, higher are not. So it proves the point of the accounts that have a lot of buddies being the only ones affected.

Yep, sure looks like that to me.
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!
MacMom
Crema

Post by MacMom »

The_Tick wrote:How aimfight works is that it sees how many folks you have online, and then how many buddies they have that are online.

So if you have a higher number, theory is you have a well connected network. Meaning that you probably have a lot of buddies.

And so far my theory has held, lower numbered accounts are able to sign on and stay on, higher are not. So it proves the point of the accounts that have a lot of buddies being the only ones affected.

Indeed. The question is how to fix it. :)
Annoying little frog