preferences suggestion

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
v3c
Muffin

preferences suggestion

Postby v3c » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi guys!
Your work on Adium is really impressive, and i'm really satified with it (expecially with the new beta!). The only thing i think you have to work on is the preferences.. I know you're working hard to redesign it, but i think something is going wrong.
The new interface adds a button named "personal", with some function could be used in other panels, IMHO.
for example, the image selection ("global" or "this") could be used in the "account" button... just like this:

That's a little try i made using photoshop, but i think it could be useful to understand what i mean...

Shark!!
Latté

Re: preferences suggestion

Postby Shark!! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:03 pm

I liked it.. It is a little hard to change personal names for specific accounts..
v3c wrote:That's a little try i made using photoshop, but i think it could be useful to understand what i mean...

You can just use interface builder (included with xcode, you know developer tools) to make these natively..

kirk
Mocha

Postby kirk » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:28 pm

if you really wanted to mess around with the NIBs like that, you'd probably have better luck, ease of use, and understanding if you used the SVN.
the sky is going to crush you.

v3c
Muffin

Re: preferences suggestion

Postby v3c » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Shark!! wrote:You can just use interface builder (included with xcode, you know developer tools) to make these natively..

I'll try, thanks :) But I want to know what devs think about my suggestion..

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:43 pm

Honestly it's a bit confusing. To set a global setting in this mockup means an account must be inspected, or am I wrong? (which means you have to go through each to find which one has the 'global' setting[s])

The Personal pane is meant to provide a specific area for 'global' settings while Accounts allows you to control each, and in this example it appears that editing global and individual items is combined in the view itself [as opposed to the sheet that exists now.]
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

v3c
Muffin

Postby v3c » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:19 pm

bgannin wrote:Honestly it's a bit confusing. To set a global setting in this mockup means an account must be inspected, or am I wrong? (which means you have to go through each to find which one has the 'global' setting[s])

The Personal pane is meant to provide a specific area for 'global' settings while Accounts allows you to control each, and in this example it appears that editing global and individual items is combined in the view itself [as opposed to the sheet that exists now.]

I agree with you, I was thinking about this just yesterday.
Anyway, i'm analyzing common interface usage with some flow diagrams: once i've done, i'll submit some better proposals ;)
I'm actually studying about interface design, and Adium will be a great training field :D

(PS: sorry for my bad english, i hope i was clear -.-" )

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:18 am

Think more along the line of account profiles.

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:43 am

v3c wrote:
bgannin wrote:Honestly it's a bit confusing. To set a global setting in this mockup means an account must be inspected, or am I wrong? (which means you have to go through each to find which one has the 'global' setting[s])

I agree with you, I was thinking about this just yesterday.
Anyway, i'm analyzing common interface usage with some flow diagrams: once i've done, i'll submit some better proposals ;)
I'm actually studying about interface design, and Adium will be a great training field :D

(PS: sorry for my bad english, i hope i was clear -.-" )

Be sure to check ticket #1882 also. There are some interesting ideas posted there.

v3c
Muffin

Postby v3c » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:47 pm

thanks, i'll check it!

Return to “Adium”