Could not send; a connection error occurred.

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Calenulma
Harmless

Postby Calenulma » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:02 am

Man, since I've got the BETA version, this happens SO MANY times that I've lost count.

Most of the times is when I start chatting with someone but it also happens in the middle of a conversation. I send the text and get the following error message:

Is there a cure for this?
It's not the internet connection because I've tried switching back to 0.89.1 and everything got back to normal.

info:
MacOS X.4.7
Adium 1.0b11
MSN user

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:16 am

Can you find out if they actually get the message?

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:29 am

This error happens to me on MSN, I can reproduce it every time in the beta:

1. Send a message to another MSN contact
2. Really quickly close the window after sending (cmd-w)

The conversation window will then immediately open back up with the error "Could not send; a connection error occurred." - But the contact does indeed receive the message.

kirk
Mocha

Postby kirk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:51 am

this occasionally happens to me, also.
the sky is going to crush you.

revolution
Crema

Postby revolution » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:20 pm

This happens to me as well, but I don't think they receive the message. It happens most often towards the end of a conversation just before someone logs off, whether it is because they closed the conversation window or not I don't know.

Calenulma
Harmless

Postby Calenulma » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:14 pm

m2e wrote:Can you find out if they actually get the message?

I don't think they do because sometimes I send the same message over and over again and people don't comment on massive spam.

But Sean is right: I also send the message and close the window afterwards just to keep the desktpop as clean as I can (I'll stop this crazy thing I have once Spaces is out there, in Leopard).

Any ideas?
Could keeping the window open be the only solution?

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:28 pm

In the official client, when you close the window, the connection with the server is closed. So maybe the message is not sent in time before that window closes.

Imagine this: I send a message to friend X, he receives this message but i have no idea whether he received it or not so his computer must tell mine he has, otherwise I'll get an error. Maybe the connection is closed before this verification happens, causing the error at the end of the conversation?

I'm probably way off here though :)

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm

It sounds like we need to determine if there are any messages in the process of being sent, and keep the AIChat (and its libgaim counterpart) alive until it finishes. I'm not sure if gaim provides API for discovering the necessary information :/

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:09 pm

We ''do'' get notified when a message is sent, by libgaim.. or, rather, we get told 'write this message to the chat' with a flag of GAIM_MESSAGE_SEND (in adiumGaimConvWriteIm() in adiumGaimConversation.m).

But I have no idea if that is called when the message is actually acknowledged or (and i think this is more likely) is simply called automatically and immediately after we call the send function.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Return to “Adium”