How do I get MSN Messenger-like visual online notifications?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
TWLreal
Harmless

How do I get MSN Messenger-like visual online notifications?

Post by TWLreal »

I have the latest version of Adium, running OS X 10.4.7. I only have Morpheus and a message window skin as modifications.

I want to have notifications that are visible anywhere just like the MSN Messenger notifications:

Right now, I can hear the sound notification but do not have a visual notification which would say something like "YOURBESTFRIEND has come online" in a small popup somewhere on your screen.

I don't care about email notifications even though that's what my screenshot shows. I just need a visual popup for contacts coming online. The IM network I use is MSN Messenger, obviously, if that matters.
Sean
Latté

Post by Sean »

Adium uses Growl for visual notifications -

I'm pretty sure it was bundled in but you can get it here: http://www.growl.info
m2e
Mocha

Post by m2e »

You can do this with a program called growl. In Events Preferences change the Contact Comes Online event to Show Growl Notification or similar.

Note: You might already have Growl installed so you might want to see if it works before you download it.

Edit: Sean beat me. Also http://resexcellence.com/growl/index.php?next=21 is a msn stylled Growl Notification.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

FYI (to helpful forum folk, really, since TWLreal got a good answer already), there's never a need to download Growl to use it within Adium. The first time Adium would display a Growl notification but Growl isn't installed, a window is shown which basically says, "Growl is cool but not installed. Do you want to be cool, too?" and then automatically installs / enables Growl and displays the pending notification with it. :)
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
TWLreal
Harmless

Post by TWLreal »

Oh, I see.

So I should have it already is that it? Just not configured yet.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

TWLreal wrote:Oh, I see.

So I should have it already is that it? Just not configured yet.

Yes. See m2e's post above.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

evands wrote:"Growl is cool but not installed. Do you want to be cool, too?" and then automatically installs / enables Growl and displays the pending notification with it. :)

Yes, we should change the text to say that. Seriously. It'd be awesome.