Easy way to use tabs (not so often)

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
matkam
Harmless

Easy way to use tabs (not so often)

Postby matkam » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:07 am

I like having my chats in separate windows. however there are a few times when there are too many windows open and I want to make use of the wonderful tabs feature of adium. I don't like using "consolidate chats" because it just clumps the windows up, but there is no better way.
I think a viable solutions is to have some key combination (like command and window drag) to temporarily enable tabs, so that I can combine chats. However, I wouldn't mind having the tabs always there (having "Always Show tabs" work, even when "Create new messages in tabs" is not enabled).

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:35 am

Always Show Tabs works for me here... does it not work for you?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

dchoby98
Adium Team

Postby dchoby98 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:19 am

Cute little bug... I just tried and sure enough, "Always Show Tabs" does NOT work if you have "Create new messages in tabs" turned off. Try this:

Start with both options ON.
Open a window -- the tab bar shows.
Turn OFF "Create new messages in tabs"
Open a new conversation -- the tab bar does NOT show.
Toggle "Always Show Tabs" off and then back on -- the tab bars all appear.

Githon
Frappa

Postby Githon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:20 am

I think what he's looking for is something that functions a bit like metacontacts... except he'll command-drag one chat window onto another and they'll "merge" into a tabbed window that has both conversations as they were. That way it wouldn't interrupt his conversations, but he could still have multiple windows (albeit fewer of them).

Maybe I'm confused?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:29 am

Githon wrote:I think what he's looking for is something that functions a bit like metacontacts... except he'll command-drag one chat window onto another and they'll "merge" into a tabbed window that has both conversations as they were. That way it wouldn't interrupt his conversations, but he could still have multiple windows (albeit fewer of them).

With the tab bar bug fixed this is something he could do.
The duck still burns.

--

Synapse
Latté

Postby Synapse » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:37 am

Yeah, You can drag tabs into places can't you.... I'm a tab junky anyway so yeah.

matkam
Harmless

Postby matkam » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:48 pm

I think you got it Githon :D

Actually, evands, one of the devs told me earlier that he purposely made "Always show tabs" not work when "Create new messages in tabs" is off, but forgot to grey it out. Thats why I suggested using command drag to merge (initially) tabless windows. Either way works for me, but using command drag just seems cleaner.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:10 pm

Oh, I remember this discussion.. the claim was that most people who wanted chats to start off in separate windows would want them to remain that way so the tab bar would be silly.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware it is not possible for one window to be aware of the dragging of another window which would make it not possible to implement something like you propose.
The duck still burns.

--

matkam
Harmless

Postby matkam » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:23 pm

The windows are aware of eachother when you drag by tab though... There must be some brilliant way to make this all happen so that everyone is happy?

Return to “Adium”