Bug/Issue: Changes in Articles Are Not Recognized

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
paulsch
Harmless

Bug/Issue: Changes in Articles Are Not Recognized

Post by paulsch »

While Vienna notes when there are new articles, I found it does not note when an article is changed. So in one of my feeds there were many updates to one feed entry but the entry displayed by Vienna remains unchanged even though I manually refreshed the feed. The only remedy I had was to unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the feed.

Is this a general phenomenon?

Btw.: NetNewsWire and Safari show the same (i.m.h.o. erroneous) behaviour. Newsfire and Shrook on the other hand deal well with changes to articles.
jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Bug/Issue: Changes in Articles Are Not Recognized

Post by jeff_johnson_dev »

There is a hidden preferences to enable this.
  1. Quit Vienna.
  2. Launch Terminal.
  3. Enter the following:

Code: Select all

defaults write uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2 CheckForUpdatedArticles -bool yes
Please note that once you enable it, you may see constant updates in some feeds, because they are changing the article HTML or doing other dumb stuff. That's not my fault. ;)
dirt farmer
Latté

Post by dirt farmer »

I just wanted to say, "Welcome back Jeff!"

I, for one, thought the developers had abandoned this project (and forum, too).

I hope Vienna still has some life in it.
paulsch
Harmless

Post by paulsch »

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:There is a hidden preferences to enable this.
Thanks for the quick answer!
I have tried this (including having verified that the preference is set before restarting Vienna) but unfortunately to no avail.
The articles (blog entries blogspot.com) still are not updated in Vienna, it still displays outdated versions of blog entries.
jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

paulsch wrote:I have tried this (including having verified that the preference is set before restarting Vienna) but unfortunately to no avail.
The articles (blog entries blogspot.com) still are not updated in Vienna, it still displays outdated versions of blog entries.
Do you see updated articles in other feeds? Updated articles are indicated by a green dot, as opposed to the blue dot for new articles.
paulsch
Harmless

Post by paulsch »

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:Do you see updated articles in other feeds? Updated articles are indicated by a green dot, as opposed to the blue dot for new articles.
No, sorry I don't. :(
Is this a bug specific to certain setups like mine?
Do you need more info about my system version etc.?
jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

paulsch wrote:
jeff_johnson_dev wrote:Do you see updated articles in other feeds? Updated articles are indicated by a green dot, as opposed to the blue dot for new articles.
No, sorry I don't. :(
Is this a bug specific to certain setups like mine?
Do you need more info about my system version etc.?
Try subscribing to these feeds. If you don't see any green dots after a day or two, then your preference setting isn't activated for some reason.
http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss
http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews?format=xml
http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
paulsch
Harmless

Post by paulsch »

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:Try subscribing to these feeds. If you don't see any green dots after a day or two, then your preference setting isn't activated for some reason.
OK, with these feeds I see lots of green dots, though I have the impressions that the marked articles have not actually changed.
But the articles in other feeds that definitely have changed are still not updated and Vienna still displays a wrong, i.e. outdated, content.
jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

paulsch wrote:
jeff_johnson_dev wrote:Try subscribing to these feeds. If you don't see any green dots after a day or two, then your preference setting isn't activated for some reason.
OK, with these feeds I see lots of green dots, though I have the impressions that the marked articles have not actually changed.
But the articles in other feeds that definitely have changed are still not updated and Vienna still displays a wrong, i.e. outdated, content.
If the feature is working in general, then the problem is most likely that the feeds themselves are doing something wrong. Can you give me URLs for the feeds?
paulsch
Harmless

Post by paulsch »

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:If the feature is working in general, then the problem is most likely that the feeds themselves are doing something wrong. Can you give me URLs for the feeds?
It now works! Thanks very much for your help! :)

I first thought to still have problems with some feeds, but that was due to the fact that these feeds had been updated before the time I activated the "check for updates" feature in Vienna.

(Message edited)