3.0.0 Beta 8 is out

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
David Munch
Grandé

Re: 3.0.0 Beta 8 is out

Postby David Munch » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 am

He wrote 10.6.8 in the beginning of the thread. It is the same guy. :)
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 am

@dirt farmer : it seems a Vienna problem, but I have no similar feed to reproduce the problem.

I suspect it is caused by a feed you recently added. If you can give me an URL, I would appreciate.
You can right click on a feed to inspect its XML and check if the date format is similar to those spotted.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

dirt farmer
Latté

Postby dirt farmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks, guys.

Since I've no idea what I should look for in the XML view, I've deleted all of my subscriptions (I only have around 50), and then "re-selected" them anew.

I'll let you know how it goes.

dirt farmer
Latté

Postby dirt farmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am

So, I just "refreshed all" subscriptions, and the only feed with updates was Macupdate.com. The conversion error was written to the log during this refresh. Could this feed be the culprit?

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 am

It probably isn't MacUpdate : it has much more posts than the few you spotted.

Can you switch to manual refresh, then refresh feeds individually to spot a problematic one ? (right click on each feed in the left panel)

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 am

It probably isn't MacUpdate : it has much more posts than the few you spotted.

Can you switch to manual refresh, then refresh feeds individually to spot a problematic one ? (right click on each feed in the left panel)

dirt farmer
Latté

Postby dirt farmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks, I have found the offending culprit by doing a manual refresh.

It was a feed that I rarely read anymore, so I have just deleted the subscription.

(If you really want to know which site, http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=mil)

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this great project!

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm

I'll modify Vienna to handle possible extraneous linefeeds and spaces in date tags...

TLizard
Harmless

Postby TLizard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm

3.0.0 Beta 9 :b47bfca:

This is a forum, so I am exercising my right to comment - I am NOT having any problems. I like 3.0.0 Beta 9 and I have only one request

Please, do NOT forget us few, devoted PPC PowerBook (G4) users when you take it out of Beta.

Barijaona has listened to my gripes and helped me out several times - inexhaustible kudos showered upon him - during the evolution of the Vienna 3.0.0 Beta series, and before. He probably knows more than any of us about my architecture, because he dove in and solved many PPC issues.

I really don't want to hold up the future. I simply cannot afford to upgrade to an intel mac. I am stuck for the time being. Maybe I am the only Vienna user in this pre-intel boat. But I love Vienna. It is working for me, and I don't want to lose it.
TLizard

MacBookPro8,2 15" | OSX 10.12.4 | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | Boot ROM Version MBP81.0047.B32

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 am

Older versions of Vienna don't work on your PPC Mac?

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 am

Robby wrote:Older versions of Vienna don't work on your PPC Mac?

A few versions were marked as running on Snow Leopard or better only, but currently, we try to maintain Leopard compatibility.
The new icons created problem in Beta 10 and 11, but Beta 9 is OK, so will Beta 12.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:43 am

Mm, I meant 2.x versions of Vienna.

I'm not an early adopter at all (I only updated to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard a few months ago) and I am against deprecating stuff prematurely. But new PPC Macs were last sold about seven years ago so I don't think it would be unreasonable to drop OS X 10.5 and PPC support. =-)

TLizard
Harmless

Postby TLizard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Robby wrote:Mm, I meant 2.x versions of Vienna.

I'm not an early adopter at all (I only updated to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard a few months ago) and I am against deprecating stuff prematurely. But new PPC Macs were last sold about seven years ago so I don't think it would be unreasonable to drop OS X 10.5 and PPC support. =-)

Your opinion is noted. However, I completely disagree with you, concerning 10.5.8 PPC (G4) continued support. Mostly, it is an economic issue for me, and could very well be for many others. I purchased my "machine" 3 months prior to Apple's introduction of intel processor chips. therefore, I was economically forced to wait for hardware upgrade. By the time upgrading made most sense, my own economic situation had taken a nose-dive, keeping me from doing anything about it. I am still waiting for my situation to improve to the point I can replace this, in Apple's eyes, dinosaur; yet, it has been so much more stable than I hear reported every so often from intel owners.

I am amazed at how many vendors, and Microsoft, continue to support Windows XP. Even Apple continues to support XP (Safari, QuickTime & iTunes); yet, Apple no longer supports their own, older Mac architectures. I find this most disturbing. And for Apple and developers to just walk away from everything pre-intel, just feels like "sell out" to me.
TLizard

MacBookPro8,2 15" | OSX 10.12.4 | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | Boot ROM Version MBP81.0047.B32

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 pm

TLizard wrote:[...]Your opinion is noted. However, I completely disagree with you, concerning 10.5.8 PPC (G4) continued support. Mostly, it is an economic issue for me, and could very well be for many others. I purchased my "machine" 3 months prior to Apple's introduction of intel processor chips. therefore, I was economically forced to wait for hardware upgrade. By the time upgrading made most sense, my own economic situation had taken a nose-dive, keeping me from doing anything about it. I am still waiting for my situation to improve to the point I can replace this, in Apple's eyes, dinosaur;

That's unfortunate...

TLizard wrote:I am amazed at how many vendors, and Microsoft, continue to support Windows XP. Even Apple continues to support XP (Safari, QuickTime & iTunes); yet, Apple no longer supports their own, older Mac architectures. I find this most disturbing. And for Apple and developers to just walk away from everything pre-intel, just feels like "sell out" to me.

I feel Apple should perhaps at least ship security updates for 10.5 and I do find many Mac developers tend to drop non-current OS versions far too early. But seven years have passed since Apple last sold a PPC Mac. I would expect Vienna 2.x to work fine on your machine and I'm sure there's still lots of software around which allows for productivity with a G4 Mac. At the end of the day one can't really expect to run the latest and greatest versions of software on an ancient machine.

<snip>yet, it has been so much more stable than I hear reported every so often from intel owners.

Some people do complain about the quality and longevity of Apple products deteriorating but I have yet to come across any substantial evidence of that allegation. Instead: http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/18/apple-top ... isfaction/.

Return to “Vienna”