Inline YouTube videos no longer visible

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
scottishwildcat
Harmless

Inline YouTube videos no longer visible

Postby scottishwildcat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:05 pm

My wife subscribes to many feeds whose articles have embedded YouTube videos. Until a couple of betas ago, these showed up fine in Vienna, but now she's complaining that there's just a blank space where the embedded videos should be, and she has to fully open the articles to see the videos. She's not happy about this :)

I checked a couple of her feeds in both Vienna and NetNewsWire on my laptop, and confirmed that I can see the embedded videos in NNW but not in Vienna, so it's not the feeds themselves that are stripping them out. One such feed is on timholtz.com, the article on 1 Aug 2013 for example which has a YouTube video near the bottom that I can see in NNW, but we can't see in Vienna 3.0b14.

Is there anything she can do to get the embedded videos back? (She uses the Horizontal layout on OS X 10.6.8, I was using Horizontal layout on OS X 10.8.5 developer preview.)
Last edited by scottishwildcat on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

tgdetjen
Harmless

Re: Inline YouTube videos no longer visible

Postby tgdetjen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Scottishwildcat -

I can view the video. I have Vienna 3 Beta 14. I am running it on a MacBook Pro with 10.8.4.

Ted

dirt farmer
Latté

Postby dirt farmer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 am

I cannot see it either. I'm using the latest beta on Mac 10.6.8

Just a blank, white area. I have noticed this on other feeds, as well. I wonder if it's specific to Snow Leopard?

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 am

I cannot see it either, and I am on 10.8.4, on a relatively slow connexion.
The fact that the video is embedded in an iframe is probably related to the problem.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

Herve5
Latté

Postby Herve5 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Would any of you have a "filtering style"? (what style do you have selected in the 'style' submenu?)

I for one do enjoy such a filtering style, which I assembled myself from a couple of examples : I know this will result not only in ad filtering, but potentially in other items being also filtered out… like for instance your soecific videos?

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:22 am

scottishwildcat wrote:My wife subscribes to many feeds whose articles have embedded YouTube videos. Until a couple of betas ago, these showed up fine in Vienna, but now she's complaining that there's just a blank space where the embedded videos should be, and she has to fully open the articles to see the videos.

Are you sure older versions could handle all videos ? I reverted back to an older version of Vienna (available here) and noticed the same issue.
One such feed is on timholtz.com, the article on 1 Aug 2013 for example which has a YouTube video near the bottom that I can see in NNW, but we can't see in Vienna 3.0b14.

The problem seems to be caused by the lack of an explicit protocol (http:) prefix in the source. The embedding code for this particular post reads as :

Code: Select all

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BBp5dp3Kmng" height="480" width="640" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

(You can note it is //www.youtube.com/embed and not http://www.youtube.com/embed). I hope I can fix this.

scottishwildcat
Harmless

Postby scottishwildcat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm

barijaona wrote:Are you sure older versions could handle all videos ? I reverted back to an older version of Vienna (available here) and noticed the same issue.

She assures me it used to work, but I agree—I tried every version back to 2.6 yesterday, and I couldn't get it to work either, at least with those particular feeds. All I know is she's been using the v3 betas for a while, and unfortunately she can't tell me exactly when it last worked for her.

The problem seems to be caused by the lack of an explicit protocol (http:) prefix in the source. The embedding code for this particular post reads as :

Code: Select all

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BBp5dp3Kmng" height="480" width="640" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

(You can note it is //www.youtube.com/embed and not http://www.youtube.com/embed). I hope I can fix this.

Cool, thanks =-)

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 am

Fixed in Vienna 3 Beta 16

scottishwildcat
Harmless

Postby scottishwildcat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:40 am

Awesome, thanks… my wife is updating and testing now :)

Return to “Vienna”