Weird plist overridden

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
Deimos
Harmless

Weird plist overridden

Postby Deimos » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:54 pm

I find the Mark Read Delay too long. I have to consciously slow down skipping over articles that don't interest me or they end up still marked as unread. As there is no preference for this I edited the plist "MarkReadInterval". Defaults to 0.5 so I edited it to 0.1 (ideally I rather no delay but short should be virtually the same). Exit Vienna before making change. Make change. Save plist file. Edit again to check changed properly. Re-run Vienna and it is the same. Check plist and the MarkReadDelay has reverted to 0.5.

For me the ideal would be an additional preference option "Mark As Read" Immediately. Or manually edit the plist file (ideally allow zero or close to zero) and for the change to be allowed/maintained.

Many thanks

sandstrom
Latté

Re: Weird plist overridden

Postby sandstrom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 am

Which OS are you using? On 10.9.x (aka Mavericks) you have to logout (or even restart the machine) after editing those plist files directly for changes to take effect, as those settings are cached, I believe. But if you use the defaults command, that is not necessary (I think… haven’t had the need to edit those plist files for a while). Mac OSX Hints had a tip about this a while back.

Also, there is a preference for this, at the bottom of the Preferences > General pane.

mwchase
Harmless

Postby mwchase » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 am

Also, there is a preference for this, at the bottom of the Preferences > General pane.

I just tried this out, and I don't think it does what Deimos wants. When I highlighted an article with the preference set to the non-default value, it didn't get marked read at all, which seems like the opposite of what is desired here. (I also kind of would like a shorter delay, but I've gotten used to stutter-step navigating the article list.)

sandstrom
Latté

Postby sandstrom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:50 am

mwchase wrote:I just tried this out, and I don't think it does what Deimos wants. When I highlighted an article with the preference set to the non-default value, it didn't get marked read at all, which seems like the opposite of what is desired here. (I also kind of would like a shorter delay, but I've gotten used to stutter-step navigating the article list.)

Errr. I guess you're right. After testing, I suspect I misunderstood what the preference actually does. Sorry about the confusion.

Anyway. Using the defaults command to change the value seems to work just fine for me, without the need to log out of the user account:

Code: Select all

defaults write /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2.plist MarkReadInterval 0.1;

replace <username> with your user name, and adjust the value to taste. Quit Vienna before proceeding.

Deimos
Harmless

Postby Deimos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 pm

sandstrom wrote:
mwchase wrote:I just tried this out, and I don't think it does what Deimos wants. When I highlighted an article with the preference set to the non-default value, it didn't get marked read at all, which seems like the opposite of what is desired here. (I also kind of would like a shorter delay, but I've gotten used to stutter-step navigating the article list.)

Errr. I guess you're right. After testing, I suspect I misunderstood what the preference actually does. Sorry about the confusion.

Anyway. Using the defaults command to change the value seems to work just fine for me, without the need to log out of the user account:

Code: Select all

defaults write /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2.plist MarkReadInterval 0.1;

replace <username> with your user name, and adjust the value to taste. Quit Vienna before proceeding.

Many thanks. I was editing it using xCode which seemed to edit OK but the setting reverted when Vienna next run. Using a/the terminal command seems to ensure the value stays as set. There must be some caching going on that the Terminal command overrides but xCode does not.

Many thanks

Return to “Vienna”