Duplicate Stories Showing Up In List

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
jbirkenmaier
Harmless

Duplicate Stories Showing Up In List

Postby jbirkenmaier » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:36 am

Hello. I just installed and configured Vienna with a number of Colorado news sites. I have them stored in one folder so that I only need to go through a single list. However, some of the web sites have more than one feed and some of the feeds can contain the same story. Therefore, the exact same story can show up many times in the list. Can Vienna be enhanced to filter out the duplicates? It's simple enough to do. Duplicates will match on Subject and Date and probably URL.

I am attaching a screenshot which shows what I am talking about. You can see four stories and two stories which are the same.
Attachments
screenshot_01.png

dirt farmer
Latté

Re: Duplicate Stories Showing Up In List

Postby dirt farmer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:47 am

In Vienna preferences, uncheck "Mark updated articles as new"

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:25 am

@dirt farmer : this will probably lower the issue, not completely solve it, as some of the stories come from different sites and feeds.

@jbirkenmaier : it is probably more complicated than that. You might have some feeds providing just the headline and a very short summary of the story, and other feeds providing the uncut story. I’ll think about it.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

jbirkenmaier
Harmless

Postby jbirkenmaier » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:39 pm

I did as you suggested but the duplicates are still there. I see your point that one story could contain more text than another even though they might have the same headline and date. Still, it would be nice to have an option, e.g., "Ignore duplicate stories", where if the headline and date are an exact match, remove the duplicate anyway. I have seen instances where a story is repeated seven times.

Baff
Harmless

Postby Baff » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:07 pm

I too would love to see this feature added.

I have about 100 feeds from the same site (spoilertv.com), 1 for each tv show I am interested in. I keep all the feeds in 1 folder so I can view them together. All day long I see articles being duplicated 2-10 times. I'd love to be able to reduce the clutter, and save a lot of reading time.

jbirkenmaier
Harmless

Postby jbirkenmaier » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I reported this problem last year. It continues to show up every day. Is there some was to fix this annoying bug? I am including two new examples. Each one shows ten stories and only two are unique.
Attachments
vienna 2.png
vienna 1.png

Return to “Vienna”