3.1.4 keeps displaying deleted articles on startup

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
kevin1
Harmless

3.1.4 keeps displaying deleted articles on startup

Postby kevin1 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am

Hi,

This issue just started happening with the latest update (Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:), I've run Vienna every day so am always on the latest version and this issue only started happening with this latest update.

I will read my articles and then delete them from the article list pane. The next time I open Vienna I expect those same articles not to show up but now they do and they are marked as read (not bolded). I'm running 10.11.5 for the OS. When I exit Vienna after a session I always tell it to empty the trash.

I'm not sure if it is happening with other feeds but I do know that it is happening with my eBay feeds, here is one example:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... t=0&_rss=1

If I open Vienna again and they show up, I can then select the offending articles, delete them again, close and empty trash, and then reopen Vienna again and they will finally be gone. I've included a screenshot of my preferences settings.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 7.34.18 AM.jpg
My preferences

valve
Harmless

Re: 3.1.4 keeps displaying deleted articles on startup

Postby valve » Sun May 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Yeah, I have the same issue. I tried resetting the database (export subscriptions, remove messages.db, import subscriptions), but that didn't solve it. Reindexing didn't fix it either.

Because of this and other issues I was having with 3.1.4 (for instance, this one), I reverted back to 3.1.3.

kevin1
Harmless

Postby kevin1 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:40 pm

I figured out what is happening. If you select one or more UNREAD articles and delete them Vienna removes them from the list but I think behind the scene is just marking them read because after doing that if you quit, it does NOT ask if you want to empty the trash. When you relaunch, the items you deleted show up as read, if you select them again and delete them and then quit you are asked if you want to empty the trash and they go away for good.

If you select articles and mark them as read first (through contextual menu) and then delete them you are asked if you want to empty the trash when you quit and all is well.

This definitely used to work as I do that all the time.

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Mon May 30, 2016 3:52 am

From what kind of folder (individual RSS feed, group folder, smart folder) do you select (and try to delete) articles ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

valve
Harmless

Postby valve » Mon May 30, 2016 4:53 am

barijaona wrote:From what kind of folder (individual RSS feed, group folder, smart folder) do you select (and try to delete) articles ?

For me, it's from group folders. It's usually a mix of read and unread articles, I select them using Cmd-A and press Backspace.

kevin1
Harmless

Postby kevin1 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:39 am

It looks like it only happens for me in folders when they are not expanded, I have a folder of different eBay feeds (see pics). After playing with this some more I've found that if the folder is not expanded then this problem occurs (second pic), but works fine if the folder is expanded (first pic) even if I've still got just the folder highlighted.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 7.35.12 AM.jpg
Folder expanded and selected
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 7.38.25 AM.jpg
Folder unexpanded and selected

kevin1
Harmless

Postby kevin1 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:48 am

This is weird. This morning I was using it the same way as mentioned above (folders expended and selection on the main folder) and after I deleted the articles and quit it asked me if I wanted to empty the trash. Said yes and then relaunched and the articles were still there (showing as read), so much for my workaround...

Return to “Vienna”