asx support

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
yelly
Crema

asx support

Postby yelly » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Sorry to post in the forums, but I wrote a ticket about asx support 2 months ago and no one seems to have seen it. I understand that there may not be much demand for such a feature, I just don't want it to fall between the cracks :)
Cheers

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:39 am

and nearly two months ago, you got a reply
BTW, .asx files currently play through Flip4Mac, and only the first movie in the sequence plays.

On a side note, we have much more pressing concerns than asx files. Don't expect this for a long time, if ever.

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:14 pm

gbooker wrote:and nearly two months ago, you got a reply
BTW, .asx files currently play through Flip4Mac, and only the first movie in the sequence plays.

On a side note, we have much more pressing concerns than asx files. Don't expect this for a long time, if ever.

That reply is by me, and considering the fact that the first video in an .asx file is normally an advert, that doesn't help much...
And BTW, never say never, it doesn't get done by then and Prian is still around (:)), when I have enough coding skills I will probably just do it myself. (It shouldn't be to difficult, just parsing some XML and playing a bunch of movies in a row)

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:07 pm

yelly wrote:And BTW, never say never, it doesn't get done by then and Prian is still around (:)), when I have enough coding skills I will probably just do it myself. (It shouldn't be to difficult, just parsing some XML and playing a bunch of movies in a row)

I didn't say never! I simply stated that the developers may not ever get around to it. We don't have anything against it though, so we would gladly accept a patch.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:05 pm

Basically, flip4mac does it, but not very well. You could bug them to actually fix their implementation and it may be faster than getting us to do it.

Right now our focus is on:

- Things already in ffmpeg.
- Making Perian manage quicktime components
- Supporting codecs which are not supported at all on os x.
- Integrating other components into Perian.

Our focus is not on Microsoft or Real codecs at the moment, and will not be for some time. Flip4mac is available for Microsoft codecs. Real will probably get support via a SoC project for ffmpeg.

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:37 pm

Then bug F4M I will.
BTW, Real and SoC? But real is closed source, no?
EDIT: After a quick look at their site, I don't think Flip4Mac is supposed to support asx...

Yuvi
Harmless

Postby Yuvi » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:06 am

Indeed, Real doesn't seem to be interested in opening their own codecs, but Real Video 9/10 (RV40) is actively being reverse engineered, and a SoC project was accepted to implement it in FFmpeg (Kostya, the same student that did the VC-1 decoder last year) - http://code.google.com/soc/ffmpeg/appin ... 957FEAF11D

Trevize
Harmless

Postby Trevize » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 am

Btw, a new beta version of flip4mac with improved asx handling is available here: http://flip4mac.com/wmv_beta.htm

Return to “Perian”