Ogg Vorbis?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
mipadi
Frappa

Ogg Vorbis?

Post by mipadi »

The Perian homepage lists one of the supported files as "Xiph Vorbis". I wondered if Perian replaces the XiphQT plugin (for Ogg Vorbis playback)?
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

From what I understand it does not fully support ogg or any xiph formats. 1.0 added the vorbis decoder, but it's version 1.2 that will add full support for xiph formats. Check out the ticket http://trac.perian.org/ticket/23
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!
Yuvi
Harmless

Post by Yuvi »

Indeed, we use ffmpeg's Vorbis decoder, but we don't handle the OGG container format which Vorbis is most commonly found in, so XiphQT is currently still needed for Vorbis in OGG. Our decoder is useful for the somewhat common Vorbis in Matroska files.
ShadowBottle
Muffin

Post by ShadowBottle »

I have a video file that vlc lists the steams thusly:

Stream 0 codec XVID
Stream 1 Codec vorb audio 4800hz

I can't get this to run in say niceplayer with perian installed and XiphQT... I think I'll post this in another thread but anyone have any ideas?
It runs fine in vlc and mplayer.

Thanks!
Yuvi
Harmless

Post by Yuvi »

Most likely, it's the OGM hack, which isn't supported by XiphQT or us currently. Or it could have the wrong extension; QuickTime needs the correct extension more than VLC/MPlayer do.

In terminal, do a "file <blah>" and if it says something like "Ogg data, OGM video ..." then it's the old OGM hack. If it's Matroska, make sure the extension is .mkv.
ShadowBottle
Muffin

Post by ShadowBottle »

Yeah it says: Ogg data, OGM video (XviD)

Can you link me to more info on this 'hack'?
Is there anyway I can get it to work at all or is there any kind of attention towards getting this to work in the future, or should I give up hope of viewing it in niceplayer/quicktime etc?

Thanks again!
Yuvi
Harmless

Post by Yuvi »

http://xiph.org/container/ogm.html

We do want to support it eventually, but it's not very pretty and it's pretty much not used for new files anymore. I just use mkvmerge to remux to mkv myself.