Laggy MKV playback in Quicktime

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Abby
Harmless

Laggy MKV playback in Quicktime

Postby Abby » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:48 am

Congrats on Perian 1.0! MKV support is greatly appreciated, but I'm having a problem. When I opened an MKV in Quicktime, it took about 20 seconds to launch as opposed to the instant opens of other files. When it did open, playback was choppy. It appeared as though it was streaming the MKV, as the entire progress bar did not fill. I left it alone for a while, and discovered that it'd play smoothly during the "buffered" minutes. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a Mac Pro Quad on 10.4.10. Thank you~

Yuvi
Harmless

Postby Yuvi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:07 am

For now, that's how MKVs are handled by Perian; an index has to be constructed.

Abby
Harmless

Postby Abby » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:25 am

That's fine, but should it take so long? It doesn't construct at watching speed, so you'd almost have to leave it sit for a long time before watching.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:26 am

Yes, it will take that long, or longer. It has to open the entire file.

Yuvi
Harmless

Postby Yuvi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 am

More specifically, QuickTime only gives us data to parse at about 4MB/s, so files with a lower bitrate than that will have the parsing happen faster than realtime but higher bitrate files will take longer.

davidgilmour
Harmless

Postby davidgilmour » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Yuvi wrote:More specifically, QuickTime only gives us data to parse at about 4MB/s, so files with a lower bitrate than that will have the parsing happen faster than realtime but higher bitrate files will take longer.

So that means that using Perian/Quicktime one will *always* have to wait 10 minutes before watching a 8GB .mkv? Even in future releases?

Yuvi
Harmless

Postby Yuvi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Hopefully not, we definitely want to improve this to the point that MKVs can start playing perfectly instantly with the ability to seek anywhere in the file. Unfortunately with the documentation available on QuickTime, this isn't easy to accomplish for a format without a full index like MKV.

davidgilmour
Harmless

Postby davidgilmour » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Yuvi wrote:Hopefully not, we definitely want to improve this to the point that MKVs can start playing perfectly instantly with the ability to seek anywhere in the file. Unfortunately with the documentation available on QuickTime, this isn't easy to accomplish for a format without a full index like MKV.

Ok, that clears up a lot. Doesn't Apple support programs like Perian? Those guys in Cali can't give you some good manuals? Apple should be pleased with people like you making stuff like Perian available. Up until today I can not advice *any* of my friends to buy an Apple if they wanna see *all* .mkv movies without any hassle on it. Hopefully we'll see a future release with DTS as well :) Keep up the good work, Perian is still a lot better than VLC.

Return to “Perian”