Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Mr VacBob
Crema

Re: Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

Post by Mr VacBob »

This issue has a known cause and is tracked in http://trac.perian.org/ticket/606.
evoshroom
Harmless

Post by evoshroom »

So I said 1.2.3 worked for me (and it did), but it stopped working. Inexplicably, a few days later I have the exact same issue and MKV's will not play. This worked under Lion a few days ago after I upgraded to 1.2.3, but suddenly stopped working. Rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling Perian don't change it.
Jai
Harmless

Post by Jai »

im having the same problems as pony, the sound plays for a moment and then bang. Nothing, perian helped with every other file, just this AVI is massively giving me a headache
mmirza
Harmless

Post by mmirza »

i'm having an audio issue with MKVs and MKVs saved as .movs from quicktime. The audio keeps skipping.

edit: restarting and reinstalling perian didn't work.

the audio does not skip on quicktime 7, only quicktime x.
longshanks
Harmless

Post by longshanks »

Still can't play MKV even using Perian 1.2.3. I can, strangely?, watch them in QuickView. Have uninstalled and re-installed a few times to no avail. HELP?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Can everyone having problems take a look at this thread and try these steps?

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23541
DJRumpy
Harmless

Post by DJRumpy »

I've already tried these steps, as well as reverting to the previous version, removing the control panel applet along with the codec itself, etc. Still no joy.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

But did you try the last bit about removing, reinstalling, then reassociating?
weriusaa
Latté

Post by weriusaa »

What are the more exact names of the components I should be removing, much of the official advice seems rather vague such as here:

http://perian.org/#support

I have "XviD_Codec-r58 (Intel).component", is that obsolete or not? Similarly I have "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component". Also I have "AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component" rather than anything simply called "AviImporter".

I've deleted components where the names actually match the advice.

Thanks
DJRumpy
Harmless

Post by DJRumpy »

As I said before, yes I have tried those steps.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

weriusaa wrote:What are the more exact names of the components I should be removing, much of the official advice seems rather vague such as here:

http://perian.org/#support

I have "XviD_Codec-r58 (Intel).component", is that obsolete or not? Similarly I have "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component". Also I have "AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component" rather than anything simply called "AviImporter".

I've deleted components where the names actually match the advice.

Thanks
How about try removing all of the third party components, and then seeing if that works. If it works, then put them back in one at a time until you figure out which it is. Typical troubleshooting.
ijaen
Harmless

Post by ijaen »

Same here!
Upgraded from Snow Leopard and now .mkv files play with erratic sound, it skips through the entire video.
It works fine using VLC as a player and .avi files are good.
DJRumpy
Harmless

Post by DJRumpy »

Sounds like a couple of different issues. Most of us can't get it to work at all. In my case, it tries for 30 seconds or so and then asks if I want to open it in QuickTime 7 (mine is a clean install with no 3rd party codecs except for Perian). I disassociated MKV's from Quicktime X and just left them on VLC at this point.

Most others can't get it to work at all.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

DJRumpy wrote:Sounds like a couple of different issues. Most of us can't get it to work at all. In my case, it tries for 30 seconds or so and then asks if I want to open it in QuickTime 7 (mine is a clean install with no 3rd party codecs except for Perian). I disassociated MKV's from Quicktime X and just left them on VLC at this point.

Most others can't get it to work at all.
Your problem is different than theirs and should be in a different thread, as you probably guessed.
DJRumpy
Harmless

Post by DJRumpy »

Thanks. Is there a different thread already started on the Quicktime 7 issue?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

DJRumpy wrote:Thanks. Is there a different thread already started on the Quicktime 7 issue?
Search for one and find out :)
evoshroom
Harmless

Post by evoshroom »

The issue returned for me and not only did it return it is completely inconsistent. That is, today I tried to play an XVID-based AVI in Quicktime 10. It did not work. So, then, I went back to try to play the MKV's and MOV's that worked yesterday. They did not work either. But those same files played yesterday in Quicktime 10. This is not the first time this has happened either.

So far my experience with Lion is that the Perian codecs will stop working and then start working again later. The reason or causality behind this is unknown, but I can confirm it has happened on my system repeatedly.
longshanks
Harmless

Post by longshanks »

People have upgraded to Lion (for better or worse) and they're having lots of issues. Not sure if they're all the same problem or not but hey. Even http://roaringapps.com/ shows that there are many people upset with not being able to use Perian. Personally I'm not really bothered whether it's the fault of Perian or QuickTime 10 or Lion. I just want to get it working again. There has been no clear explanation of what the problem actually is, either here or elsewhere. So I now have to basically find myself another mechanism of playing diverse media content on my Mac. Which basically means it's time to install VLC. Not that I have anything against VLC but me and Perian had become good friends. Maybe Lion is to blame (as I'm sure it is) but with no leads to follow from someone that actually knows what's going on , I feel I have no choice. So long and thanks for all the fish.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Basically so far there isn't a whole lot that you guys are providing which can even help us here. Unfortunately there's not a lot to ask either.

"hey this doesn't work" "give us a sample" is the typical workflow here. As of yet nobody has really done this that has complained within the last week. I realize we didn't come right out and say it, but come on it's in almost every other thread in this whole forum.

I can understand needing to use something else, but I'm not running into these issues so I'm not sure what we can do without samples.
DJRumpy
Harmless

Post by DJRumpy »

You have to realize that not everyone is going to know what info to collect. A little guidance on your part as to what data you need would go a long way as to what info you need collected.