Beta testers

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:08 pm

If one of you could file a ticket with specific steps that would be awesome:

http://trac.perian.org/newticket

Utumno
Harmless

Postby Utumno » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:56 pm

The_Tick wrote:If one of you could file a ticket with specific steps that would be awesome:

http://trac.perian.org/newticket

No problem, just wasn't sure if you wanted reports here or in the trac. Will trac them in future.

Also there's (unsurprisingly) a clash between DivX 6.x Decoder and Perian which causes the absence of AC3 audio in a file. Will file a separate ticket. Other than that, I can't make the damn thing crash, not even with the piles of Weird Shit I have lying around.

Kudos !

Ut.

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:05 pm

just out of interest, what is the AppleIntermediateCodec.component?

iLux
Harmless

Postby iLux » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm

The DMG background sentence means nothing in French : it should be something like "déplacer Perian.component dans le dossier Quicktime".

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:41 pm

Ok, so I checked my Quicktime folder and I have like 83 different codecs in there, including Perian. Do y'all want me to make Perian run alone, or can it work amongst these other codecs?
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:38 pm

iLux wrote:The DMG background sentence means nothing in French : it should be something like "déplacer Perian.component dans le dossier Quicktime".

Which line is the french line?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:43 pm

John Don wrote:Ok, so I checked my Quicktime folder and I have like 83 different codecs in there, including Perian. Do y'all want me to make Perian run alone, or can it work amongst these other codecs?

hah, 83? I had 67 (with perian). 83 is huge, whatcha got? :D

I sorted through and moved erroring components out, along with OS 9 ones, and the ones that Perian obsoletes. I now have 29 components installed

You can use Perian with other components. However, you really, really, really need to do two things:

1) Go through this list and move the old OS 9 components if you have any installed:

http://www.insanityflows.net/archive/in ... compatible

2) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and then open some media files. See if they produce errors. Make a new thread if you need help determining if a component should be removed.

What I did last night improved QT performance dramatically for me. But then again, I did have 31 OS 9 components installed.

Seriously, 83? Wow.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:22 am

Beta 3 is posted. If there are no further problems with it this will be the final. :)

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:05 am

The_Tick wrote:
John Don wrote:Ok, so I checked my Quicktime folder and I have like 83 different codecs in there, including Perian. Do y'all want me to make Perian run alone, or can it work amongst these other codecs?

I sorted through and moved erroring components out, along with OS 9 ones, and the ones that Perian obsoletes. I now have 29 components installed

You can use Perian with other components. However, you really, really, really need to do two things:

1) Go through this list and move the old OS 9 components if you have any installed:

2) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and then open some media files. See if they produce errors. Make a new thread if you need help determining if a component should be removed.

What I did last night improved QT performance dramatically for me. But then again, I did have 31 OS 9 components installed.

Seriously, 83? Wow.

Yep, I'm a Quicktime codec collector of sorts, haha. I will certainly run the tests you request tomorrow; I would tonight, but its getting too late to remember details. I could also post the names of all 83 codecs if you'd like :grin:

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:08 am

John Don wrote:
The_Tick wrote:

Seriously, 83? Wow.

Yep, I'm a Quicktime codec collector of sorts, haha. I will certainly run the tests you request tomorrow; I would tonight, but its getting too late to remember details. I could also post the names of all 83 codecs if you'd like :grin:

If you'd like to, do it in another thread.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:13 am

The_Tick wrote:2) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and then open some media files. See if they produce errors. Make a new thread if you need help determining if a component should be removed.

Alright, I opened Console, and then opened quite a few of the media files I had laying around. None of them suffered any hiccups. I did receive an error or 2 in the Console Log, but these seemed related to my Divx 5 codec. Even with the errors, my media files still played properly.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:14 am

John Don wrote:
The_Tick wrote:2) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and then open some media files. See if they produce errors. Make a new thread if you need help determining if a component should be removed.

Alright, I opened Console, and then opened quite a few of the media files I had laying around. None of them suffered any hiccups. I did receive an error or 2 in the Console Log, but these seemed related to my Divx 5 codec. Even with the errors, my media files still played properly.

Let's try moving the divx5 codec out. Perian should be able to handle this media.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:23 am

Also, let's make a new thread for this as well, it's not really ontopic for the beta thread.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 am

b4, and hopefully the final beta, is up.

Please give it a shot folks.

stevekelley

Postby stevekelley » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:12 pm

I downloaded b4 via the terminal but I'm experiancing the same problem yelly was having and I cant get it to mount.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:15 am

stevekelley wrote:I downloaded b4 via the terminal but I'm experiancing the same problem yelly was having and I cant get it to mount.

We were going to release today anyhow, you'll need to wait until that's been done. Hopefully should be soon.

Wim De Smet
Harmless

Re: Beta testers

Postby Wim De Smet » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:34 am

Yup, over here :grin:

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:53 am

The beta is closed, .5 is released. I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread

Return to “Perian”