Jailbroken Phones

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 pm

There's currently a problem with some subset of jailbroken phones. I personally do not own one, nor do I know anybody with one, so I cannot help diagnose the problem. Console output would be very helpful in fixing it, but do not expect much support. It's hard to guess what's going on when it's a hacked device.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 am

One user writes,
I suspect it has something to do with mobilesubstrate again.
Users with sbsettings installed may try respringing the device in safe mode.
My phone registered successfully in safe mode.
After it's registered, reboot, and the push notifications will work as they are supposed to.

ubik
Harmless

Postby ubik » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:38 am

yees, i can confirm that it works!
just put iphone in Safe Mode and open Prowl again. Immediatly it shows a new device on prowl.weks.net :)

nice, i love growl + prowl :)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm

That is good to hear. I wonder what Mobile Substrate is doing that it's causing issues, and if it's a Prowl problem or not.

magu
Harmless

Postby magu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm

The problem with push is not on jailbroken units in general, but on hacktivated iPhones. I.e. phones that've never been activated over iTunes with a legit carrier. The problem seems to be with some certificate being generated for push during proper activation.

Musclenerd and friends of the iPhone Dev Team are working on this, and have a temporary fix that seems to be working. Basically you need to copy the cert from a properly activated phone and inject it into the hacktivated one.

dice1976
Harmless

Postby dice1976 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 pm

zac wrote:One user writes,
After it's registered, reboot, and the push notifications will work as they are supposed to.

I also can confirm that this WORKS!

Thank you for this workaround.

ubik
Harmless

Postby ubik » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 pm

magu wrote:The problem with push is not on jailbroken units in general, but on hacktivated iPhones. I.e. phones that've never been activated over iTunes with a legit carrier. The problem seems to be with some certificate being generated for push during proper activation.

Musclenerd and friends of the iPhone Dev Team are working on this, and have a temporary fix that seems to be working. Basically you need to copy the cert from a properly activated phone and inject it into the hacktivated one.

i have activated my iPhone with iTunes and legit carrier. Push Notification works for all application but Prowl (it needs the fix described in this post for mobilesubstrate).. ;)
the problem you described is different and a lot of iphone hacktivated have no notification also with other apps..not just Prowl...

techn9ne
Harmless

Postby techn9ne » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

My device is registered and it has received push notifications successfully.

The problem is that push notifications seem to stop working sometimes. Both from the Prowl website and from Growl for Windows. But then I try again an hour later and it magically works again.

Not sure if this is a problem related to jailbreak or not, but as my device is registered with the server it seems strange.

magu
Harmless

Postby magu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:42 pm

techn9ne wrote:My device is registered and it has received push notifications successfully.

The problem is that push notifications seem to stop working sometimes. Both from the Prowl website and from Growl for Windows. But then I try again an hour later and it magically works again.

Not sure if this is a problem related to jailbreak or not, but as my device is registered with the server it seems strange.

Well, Apple specifically states that:
Delivery of push notifications is not guaranteed. Also, users can refuse to receive notifications system-wide. Push notifications are intended to notify users of new data, not to deliver critical data to your application.

techn9ne
Harmless

Postby techn9ne » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:57 pm

magu wrote:
techn9ne wrote:My device is registered and it has received push notifications successfully.

Well, Apple specifically states that:
Delivery of push notifications is not guaranteed. Also, users can refuse to receive notifications system-wide. Push notifications are intended to notify users of new data, not to deliver critical data to your application.

yeah it's not guaranteed for critical purposes... but it hasn't been working for an hour or two now... I would assume apple's server doesn't suck that much

kameko
Harmless

Postby kameko » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 am

this is only a temporary fix. i can get my jb iphone registered (as in it shows up in the device list on the prowl account site) by going into safe mode but it just seemingly becomes unregistered again. in my case it was just a few hours later. all of a sudden i stopped receiving push notifications and the prowl site tells me no devices are registered. if i go back to safe mode, i can register once again. rinse and repeat :(

push notifications for other apps, including IM+ seem to be working just fine.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm

If Prowl is removing your device, that means Apple told us that your device had Prowl removed from it (and notifications were sent to your device that ended up hitting a non-installed device).

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Can jailbreak users please confirm or deny if it works now?

kameko
Harmless

Postby kameko » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm

as far as i can tell its still completely intermittent.

i just checked my device list and can see 1 attached device. tried sending a notifcation via the prowl site and did not get any push notifcation. it did show up in the actual app though.

tried rebooting into safe mode, opened prowl up, and rebooted back to normal mode. prowl site still shows 1 attached device. i try to send another notification via prowl site and this time i got the push.

i don't know what anyone else's jb experience is like. once again i don't seem to have any issues with other push-enabled apps like im+

kameko
Harmless

Postby kameko » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 am

once again, i go to check my device list and it says NO devices. i don't know why it keeps getting randomly removed by apple or however it works.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:58 am

Thanks to a very resourceful user... do you all have bite SMS installed, that are having trouble with Prowl? In his testing, disabling it allows Prowl to work just fine.

If not, can you try disabling Mobile Substrate plugins until you can find the culprit?

Kimcha
Harmless

Postby Kimcha » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:46 pm

zac wrote:Thanks to a very resourceful user... do you all have bite SMS installed, that are having trouble with Prowl? In his testing, disabling it allows Prowl to work just fine.

If not, can you try disabling Mobile Substrate plugins until you can find the culprit?

That is it! You can fix writing this:

Code: Select all

Filter = {Bundles = ("com.apple.springboard");};

into /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/biteSMSsb.plist . This might disable a few features of biteSMS like tapping text message in contacts wont send using bitesms for example. But the important things like quick reply should work.

Im going to email the biteSMS devs and ask them not to hook into prowl.

Greetings, Kimcha

rbyster
Harmless

Postby rbyster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 pm

I can confirm (unfortunately) that while having neither mobile substrate or bitsms installed the push notifications does still not work properly. I am using aim and here the notifications work fine (even though I have a jailbroken/hacktivated phone).

Immidiately after registrating on prowl it works, and will push for at least a few minutes the updates that I send through the homepage. However, after a few minutes it stops. The device is still registrated and shows on the list (I never experienced the problem that it removes itself), when opening the Prowl app on the iPhone I can still see the new messages, but it stopped actively pushing them to the device. As mentioned, removing the device from the homepage and opening the app again restores the ability to push, but only for a few minutes.

The issue might be that hacktivated phones are sometimes using a cert common to others, but as push still works with other applications it must be possible to fix it in Prowl as well.

Feel free to email me, if you need to run any tests.
Last edited by rbyster on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

I honestly wish I knew what was going on. While Prowl isn't running, I don't have much control over what happens. Unless the Prowl server is sending messages incorrectly, I don't know what is happening. Is there any pattern with what message comes last before it stops working?

And apparently even when Prowl *is* running, things like Mobile Substrate (the iPhone equivalent of Unsanity's Application Enhancer—what a headache that is) is messing with execution as well.

rbyster
Harmless

Postby rbyster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Perhaps you can elaborate on how it works? How does Prowl know which unit to send the pushed message to? There is some sort of identification number? What if certain units (because they are jailbroken) are sharing the same identification number? What would happen then? I do not know how the Apple Push Service really works, but I guess it somehow needs an unique identifier? And how do you obtain this identifier? Perhaps a check to see if this identifier is already used, registrated.

Again, feel free to email me in order to discuss further measures.

Return to “Prowl”