I thought it would be nice to be able to send text from any application to Prowl, say if a friend sent you directions via IM or you need to send text from a Word file.
This assumes you have Quicksilver (http://www.blacktree.com/) installed. The process is a bit involved, but comes in handy when you're in a rush!
1) Download and install the growlnotify utility by running ./install.sh within the growlnotify directory (http://jzlabs.com/stuff/growlnotify.zip)
2) Download this shell script somewhere (I put mine in my Documents folder) and chmod 777 the file. This script sends any text in your clipboard to the growlnotify command line tool. (http://jzlabs.com/stuff/prowl.sh)
3) In Quicksilver Triggers (⌘'), add a new hotkey command
4) Start typing "Documents/prowl.sh" and select "Run a shell script"
5) Assign a hotkey to the command -- I chose ⌘+Alt+Shift+P
To send text to Prowl, just copy (⌘+C) the text you want to send, then hit the hotkey combo you setup to run the shell script. When you hit the hotkey combo you should see the text in your clipboard pop up in a Growl notification which should be caught and forwarded to Prowl.
An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users